Deatheater Mask.

DivideByZero

Hi,

I am in the process of making my first fibreglass Deatheater mask. This first one is more of a "see how it works" kind of go, but my next one I want to be a bit more intricate.

I noticed this thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/harry-potter-cosplaying-85379/[/h]And was blown away with the detail in Pete SSS's mask.

My question is about the pattern on the mask. How would you get that symmetrical? Was it done on the clay model or etched in to the final mask?

Looks amazing, but I had enough trouble making the eyes symmetrical on my first mask.

Cheers - /0

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to know for sure would be to ask Pete SSS.
To me it looks like it was added to the final mask.
The mask is so smooth there had to be some body work done.
So after the mask was sanded smooth the etchings would then be added.
That is how I would do it.

Thanks Alpha.

If you were to do it like that, how would you do it?

I would guess you could mark on what you want to do first and then etch it on with a Dremel or some etching tool. I guess that would make it a lot easier to get it symmetrical as you can take your time marking up. With the clay, I found it really awkward to work on as you could not touch it to support your hand etc.

Though I do expect a lot of my struggles is lack of experience, but you gotta start somewhere!

Cheers

Hey, good to hear your going to have a go at one of these, can't wait to see the outcome!

Here s a link to an Instructable I did for this costume. It has a step about the construction of this mask, it's pretty brief, but will give you an idea of how I went about it.

Harry Potter Death Eater Costume, with "Magic" Wand - Viewing All Comments

When sculpting the details on the mask, I drew each "swirl pattern" onto a piece of tracing paper. I then traced these patterns onto the clay sculpt, once on the right side, then I flipped over the paper, and moved it over to the left side of the mask and, again traced it onto the clay. I hope that makes some sense! It still takes some care to align everything, and get the paper patterns in the right place. The best advise I can give would be to try and get your base sculpt as symmetrical as possible to start with.

Best of luck with it!

Amazing, thanks.

I did some detailing in my sculpt, but nowhere near as much as that.

I also worked out about using a paper template, only I did mine slightly differently. For eye holes I cut them out of paper folded in 2, so I had one for each eye then traced round the outside.

I am at the sanding stage and painting stage of this mask, which is my first ever and a bit of a test run. I am really looking forward to trying again with my 2nd mask where I will have all the experience of my first and your above information will really help too.

Thanks

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone could help me? I am having some issues working on the sculpt of the new mask.

While I am not expecting to get this, my 2nd mask, up to the quality of the original, I am having real issues carving the eyes on Lucius Malfoy's mask.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest how this is done. Mine look very amateur (which I am).

Pic below.

- - - Updated - - -

WP_20140123_008.jpg

Pic of the mask. Patten detailing to be done yet but I want to finish the eyes first.

I have actually tried something similar already. I folded some A4 in half and cut out the eye shapes from there... but the results pretty lame.

I think that has a lot to do with my sculpting skills or lack thereof!

Maybe I'll have a look to see if there are any tutorial videos on the YouTube for clay with stencils.

Done, it wasn't perfect but it ended up a heck of a lot better.

In the end I rolled out some thin clay and cut it to the correct shape, I then placed it, hollowed out the eye and shaped it in to the rest of the clay.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back