My Original Parts Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber - Photos and Build Info

JAW DROPPING. What an absolute stunner. My "all original parts" collection consists of a Kobold flash and a Jawa Microflame torch :unsure. Not quite as thrilling as this MASTERPIECE, congrats on a massive project coming to a close!

Hope to follow you soon on my own obiwan saber.
Just have to find a real booster,maybe as a trade for my real male emitter,or a real grenade or a real pommel,don't know....

That's far beyond beautiful, Charlie!

Makes me want to start looking for real parts also but i definatly don't have the funds for one of these beauties!

Beautiful work! Really amazing!

The Kenobi ANH is my favorite light sabre. It's just so impressive to see one one realized so carefully, and so perfectly.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Especially those of us like me who will probably never have enough time away from other endeavors to attempt this iconic build.

yeah funds becomes an issue... maybe start buying a piece every 2 years and just tell the wife... "wow... look what I found in the back bush... what are the chances!?!?!"

Thank you all again for the very kind words. Much credit belongs to those who have done this before me, especially those who identified all of the correct parts many years ago.

JAW DROPPING. What an absolute stunner.
Shoot, I say the same thing about all of your work! I'm a big fan of your Blue Box shards. :)

Charlie, that build is so sweet - welcome to the club :)
Thanks for your help in the build, John! Now, where's my membership card? :cheers

That's far beyond beautiful, Charlie!
Makes me want to start looking for real parts also but i definatly don't have the funds for one of these beauties!
yeah funds becomes an issue... maybe start buying a piece every 2 years and just tell the wife... "wow... look what I found in the back bush... what are the chances!?!?!"
Beautiful job. I'd really like to attempt a build like this one day.
Just keep an eye out for the right deals and it'll start to come together. Once you get that first part, be it the handwheel or even just the Graflex clamp and Exactra, you tend to get on a trail of the other parts. (I think I found my booster, handwheel, and grenade all within a span of about 30 days.) Being patient works wonders on getting the right deals too. :thumbsup

Beautiful work! Really amazing!
The Kenobi ANH is my favorite light sabre. It's just so impressive to see one one realized so carefully, and so perfectly.
Thank you for sharing this with us. Especially those of us like me who will probably never have enough time away from other endeavors to attempt this iconic build.
Your Tesla build is just as impressive and I'm highly jealous of it. Keep up the good work!

Hey Serenity,

Wow! Simply amazing. Wonderful work. I have loved this lightsaber since I first saw it in nineteen seventy-seven. I have always wanted to build one myself but I know I can't afford the original pieces like you have done. It's an inspiration. :thumbsup

I do have a question though. What does this sentence regarding the booster mean:
The weld is currently placed in the "Chronicles" photo position. I still have the booster bearing as well, which I may eventually use to make an emitter cone or use as part of a spacer.
I've been learning to make a reproduction lightsaber and I thought I knew this stuff, but that seems like a whole new set of information contained in that sentence. Can you break it down for me?? :facepalm

Dan S

P.S. We call our small farm Serenity.

Sure, I'd be happy to clarify what I meant!

First, regarding the weld, I just meant that I lined mine up in the same spot (in relation to the clamp and handwheel cubes) as in this photo:
RrFJ95v.jpg

The booster bearing is this piece, which screws into the booster:
WJsCEnd.jpg

Some believe that it was modified and used as the inner "cone" piece of the emitter that holds it to the grenade, as seen here:
ibKhuXm.jpg

That's never been verified, so others also use it as part of the assembly system for holding the booster and handwheel onto the clamp.

Does that make sense? :)

Hey Serenity,

It does make sense, and not quite the mystery I supposed. Thanks for the explanation! I have seen quite a few people "marry" the bearing (didn't know that's what it was called) to the booster in their build. It peeks out from behind the clamp when seen from the correct angle. :)

But, I hadn't heard all the other theories about other possible uses for the booster bearing. Thanks again. :thumbsup

Dan S

I think the bearing has originally been kept.
Reason why?

You have a clamp,a grenade,pommel and a booster with bearing.
you put the pommel on the booster,miracle,it stays in place,like a magic.
you open the clamp,put grenade and booster,close,and,you have a saber,without emitter...

I don't know how they did for the emitter,but the original grenade has a rod attached,and this rod has some bolts on it.
Looks like the original grenade was quite a "old stocks" stuff,means the bolts could be removed,and a holder attached for the emitter retainment,then,it has probably been screwn on grenade top.

Other choice,as you mention,is a kind of conical shaped part,and it really looks like the booster bearing inside,and the diameter is very close,however this theory doesn't solve the attachement problem.

what is diameter of booster bearing?
after looking at both parts,seems the bearing would have been modified to fit inside the emitter.

Hi Patrice,

remember the booster came in pairs from an ANM2 machine gun ... so there were probably at least 2 boosters + bearings the propmakers could work with. So one bearing could haven been modified into that cone to hold the emitter for the HERO version, whilest for the stunt version something else couldhave been used since it also had a working rotating/ spinning motor or piece inside which was electrically wired via Alec Guinness's robe sleeve and there was a rod attached in the emitter so you hardly saw the cone anyways. I don't claim this to be fact ... it's a mere suggestion and solution that 2 bearings could have been used in te HERO lightsaber.

-Chaim

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back