Ferris Bueller's Vest

Max G

I'm starting work on recreating the vest Matthew Broderick wears in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

After weeks of digging through the internet, I can not find this vest for sale anywhere online nor can I find the name of the pattern that appears on it.

Using images of the vest on display at some Planet Hollywood, I have traced the pattern that appears on the vest. It seems complicated when on the vest, but it's really a small part that is repeated over and over.

As for the creation of the vest, at first I planned on having the pattern printed on fabric and then cutting and sewing the fabric to make the vest. But after looking at the vest harder, it looks like it's actually a knit vest and the design is knit, not printed. The technique is called picture knitting, or "intarsia knitting." This makes matters harder but my mom and several of her friends know how to knit, and I'm willing to learn so I can work on this. It will take a long time, but it's not something I'm going to do in a day. I'll probably work on it in my spare time.

Anyway, here's a few images of the vest on display, in the film, and the pattern that I've simplified into a single motif as blocks as accurately as I could based on the images.

ferrisvestdisplay.jpg

ferrisvestfloat2.jpg

ferrisvestfloat.jpg

ferrisvestjump.jpg

ferrispatternweb.jpg

The pattern repeated as a vector image (The color is a little too pale.)

ferrisvestknittingpatte.jpg

The pattern as I would like to knit it

As far as the actually vest is concerned, it will probably be based on something like this or this but with a longer collar and the above pattern repeated in it.

I'll be posting my progress here, but if anyone has any experience with intarsia knitting, or knitting a vest, please share as this is my first knitting project.

Thanks a lot!
Max

This is why I love this site! Sure, it's fun to see all the Star Wars, Star Trek, super heroes, etc. costumes, but the fact that someone would even think of working on a replica of Ferris Bueller's sweater vest makes me smile from ear to ear. Bravo!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

LOVE IT, this is brilliant, if you manage, it, would love to see how you did it. This would make a great present for my mate who is Brodericks doppleganger!! :)

I've been asked to do this several times but our knitwear department is shut down for the moment. If (and when) it opens again, we'll certainly add this to the lineup.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

After years of wanting a replica, I finally got lucky.

I've been seeing this girl for a month now, and she's really aware of my passion for costumes and replicas.

Thus, since she study in fashion, she told me she wanted to make me the vest. I couldn't believe it. (I mean, wow:lol)

Today we went fabric hunting, and found a great 'beige caramel' fabric for the body and some great black piping for the rest of the vest.

Next week, we'll go and have the geometric pattern screenprinted on the fabric (they have a machine at her school).

I'll keep you updated on it, and I soon as I have pics I will post them up.

After years of wanting a replica, I finally got lucky.

I've been seeing this girl for a month now, and she's really aware of my passion for costumes and replicas.

Thus, since she study in fashion, she told me she wanted to make me the vest. I couldn't believe it. (I mean, wow:lol)

Today we went fabric hunting, and found a great 'beige caramel' fabric for the body and some great black piping for the rest of the vest.

Next week, we'll go and have the geometric pattern screenprinted on the fabric (they have a machine at her school).

I'll keep you updated on it, and I soon as I have pics I will post them up.
umm... SWEET DEAL!!!!!

Is there any way you could tell me where you found a printshop to do this and how much they charge you per yard? The cheapest I have found(besides ordering massive amounts from China) is $30 a yard

Is there any way you could tell me where you found a printshop to do this and how much they charge you per yard? The cheapest I have found(besides ordering massive amounts from China) is $30 a yard

it was at a fashion school. They charged me like $30 for 1x1 meter. However they didn't print enough so the project is currently on hold (they're only open during weekday when I work )

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back