Godzilla (2014)

Other than the Porcupineness I like the concept art, if they dropped those spikes it'd be perfect.

I like the red shot through one actually, it reminds me of Godzilla Vs Destroyah.

Being that its made the US, I have no hope of it being any good. If the trailers are decent I'll go see it.

Wonder what monster they'll redesign for him to fight or if they'll do a new original monster?

I do have hope it can be good.

The first film is pure classic greatness.

Where the Japanese films have always fallen short later, is they can be very cheesy and hokey to western audiences.
Part of the charm of course. Either you get it or you don't. But now and then they blow you away with material that is incredible impactful, I love the Japanese films, but I've always known there is a higher level it could be taken to.

I will be looking for certain things..
Godzilla as force of nature, as payback for reckless use of nukes, Godzilla as both our destructor and champion (that whole love/hate thing the Toho films portray) Godzilla as an intelligence. He isn't stupid, he has his own reasons for doing things, more then animal instinct, it's not an intelligence we understand, but it's there. And of course....Godzilla as hero!
Yes, I admire Big G! LOL He never gives up and fights until the end.
Who didn't feel bad when the oxygen destroyer gets him at the end of the original?

Now having seen Monsters, I think there is a good chance that guy will understand.
Give it a watch, it's a bit of an odd film, but I think there is hope.

I should preface my little diatribe with the fact that i have been a life long godzilla fan myself, but i honestly do not want this movie to be made. The franchise has seen its day and should be left in the annals of film history with nostalgia and a bit of dignity lest it suffer the fate of Star Wars (CGI Clone Wars anyone?). Godzilla as a commentary on the dangers of nuclear proliferation and the abuse/misuse of atomic energy just doesn't have as much an impact as it did back in the 50's on account of the aftermath of Hiroshima, as well as the 80's on account of the Cold War. That being said, I will more than likely still watch this movie on account of it being a Godzilla Movie...

On To the creature design. I hate to say it, but the 1998 pseudo Godzilla design (Known as GINO in some circles) makes a great deal more sense than this thing as a theoretical animal. The new design looks like that of a Dromaeosaur (a family of bird-like dinosaurs which includes Velociraptor) mixed with the classic Godzilla design. The bird-like leg design hints at a streamlined animal that moves like an ostrich or a T-rex with its body leaning forward and a long tail jutting backwards for balance which this design obviously isn't.

*takes breath*

Rant over, sorry folks just had to get that out . ^_^

what? there was no 2008 version, unles your talking about "godzilla 3d to the max" :lol

Heck no. They called it Cloverfield.

:lol Sorry, to me it was just a Godzilla movie... and a good one! Don't mean to upset the purists.

Heck no. They called it Cloverfield.

:lol Sorry, to me it was just a Godzilla movie... and a good one! Don't mean to upset the purists.

Ohh hahaha I liked cloverfield because it was a really good movie, but to me it wasn't a giant monster movie, especially not a Godzilla movie. It focused too much on the human interaction side of things rather that on the monster and it worked out great, just not as a monster movie.

Ohh hahaha I liked cloverfield because it was a really good movie, but to me it wasn't a giant monster movie, especially not a Godzilla movie. It focused too much on the human interaction side of things rather that on the monster and it worked out great, just not as a monster movie.

:sick:sick:sick:lol

lol. I'm very skeptical of any new Godzilla movies. I loved them as a kid, but it seems like the only one I can go back and watch is the original film. The newer ones just seem to get campier and campier. But if they make this new one with the same seriousness and emotion as the original, I'll be fine with it.

I'm not digging the new design though. I like the spikiness, but the arm spikes kind of throw the design off and make him/her/it look too bird like. And if you look at the feet of Redzilla second pic, it seems to look almost like he's wearing high-top sneakers :eek

I'm not digging the new design though. I like the spikiness, but the arm spikes kind of throw the design off and make him/her/it look too bird like. And if you look at the feet of Redzilla second pic, it seems to look almost like he's wearing high-top sneakers :eek

Well if he is a mix between a T-rex and a Stegosaurus, then the feathers thing should be somewhat incorporated

The feather/spines on the arm are just a bad idea, Godzilla wasn't a t-Rex, he was a godzillasourous and did not even look like a t rex so theres no reason he should have them

I read they hired the Monsters dirctor for this film.

He hasn't had a lot of experience. I actually saw Monsters at the local art house theater.

It showed great promise, but the film didn't really know what it wanted to be.

Jeez I hope not. That movie went no where. It seemed like it had a lot of promise but didn't deliver anything.

As for the pics, I think the design stinks. He looks like the bush monster.

I hated Cloverfield because of the monster design and I could really care less if all those silver spoon kids died or not. Now that you bring it up - I'm sure that's the way Legendary will take it. i read a script a year or so ago meant to be made as a Godzilla Strikes back kinda thing, but it was wayyy Hanna Barberra - humans ended up finding out why Godzilla was mad and they ended up being friends with him by the end of the movie. HA!

Anyone remember this -
YouTube - NIKE commercial with Godzilla and Charles Barkley

Also, didja know, the Godzilla from the original was a boy and the one we grew up with later who fought Mothera, Mechagodzilla and countless others was a girl - she lays the egg and has Minya on Monster island. My Japanese has gotten good enough to understand some of the movies and in Destroy All Monsters they talk about how this was the case and in other films they refer to Godzilla as "She".
Now you know the rest of the story.

she lays the egg and has Minya on Monster island. My Japanese has gotten good enough to understand some of the movies and in Destroy All Monsters they talk about how this was the case and in other films they refer to Godzilla as "She".
Now you know the rest of the story.

godzilla never layed minyas egg, he found it being attacked by other monsters and kinda adopted it, i dont think he/she ever layed eggs except in the 98 abomination.

godzilla never layed minyas egg, he found it being attacked by other monsters and kinda adopted it, i dont think he/she ever layed eggs except in the 98 abomination.

Maybe your right - i have all of the movies from Japan in the box set they released that came inside the "Oxygen Destroya" - I watched Destroy All Monsters and the conversation in Japanese talks about how this Godzilla was female - I assumed she laid the egg - I need to rewatch the one with Minya again. They call her "she" in almost every movie and the overlord in Godzilla vs Megalon" even says it a couple of times. "Her strength is only matched by her wit" Course - this is right before Godzilla does the flying kick.
YouTube - Godzilla flying kick

When, oh when will they cover just where those monsters go poo?! I mean it must be massive, explosive, and deadly.
micomic09.jpg

When, oh when will they cover just where those monsters go poo?! I mean it must be massive, explosive, and deadly.
micomic09.jpg

I used to wonder the same thing about Clifford the big red dog. :lol

Godzilla absorbs and and gives off radiation, so figure he is mostly nuke powered so eating isn't too often. who knows about the rest though.

I wouldn't want to park my car near Rodan.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back