TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Uh oh! What's this? A second red button and textured tape!
IMG_3605.JPG

Thats just an illustration. Looks like someone in the art dept didn't do very good research. They obviously used a pic of the ESB saber as reference instead of the TFA one.

I just had a nightmare with a Roman clamp, Wannawanga clamp card and V2 lever. I bought a set of micro spring clamps and put on on either end of the clamp so I could use two hands to get the lever in place, instead of one hand to hold it together, and one to thread the tiny pin.

That might help. I can't get everything lined up and stayed lined up with out it fly apart when I try to put the pin back in.

That was exactly my issue-- it was wiggly. The two clamps made it way easier. The trick, as James' video shows, is to get enough of the pin in to turn it, but without locking it into the washer. To do that, things have to be way compressed down.

That was exactly my issue-- it was wiggly. The two clamps made it way easier. The trick, as James' video shows, is to get enough of the pin in to turn it, but without locking it into the washer. To do that, things have to be way compressed down.

Yep, it was that pesky pin not going in because it would not line up....so I put the pin in from the opposite side, lined up everything and THEN clamped it. I took the pin out, put it in the correct way and BINGO, it worked! I must say, it hides that old corroded clamp very nicely!
DSCF7615.JPG

Last edited:
There was some discussion about it a ways back in the thread. The theories...

-They took elements from both Graflex's and the Anakin ROTS (which has smooth eye & short grips)

-Prop maker just wanted to put his signature on it.

-The knurl was damaged on the Hero and they just machined it down instead of swapping it out.

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've got my own idea as to why the knurling may have been turned down on the glass eye...

I believe the reason the knurling was turned down, was simply because the saber became uncomfortable for the actors to wield during combat. To better illustrate my point, look closely at some of the screen shots of John and Daisy gripping the saber, and you'll notice that they both grip the hilt high. They're basically resting their top hand right under the glass eye (most likely due to the red button being the activation) and if they're taking constant hits during battle sequences, I've got to imagine that the knurling was digging into, and scraping the top of their thumbs, and quite possibly the webbing between their index finger and thumb. I'm sure the knurling could have possibly caused cuts/lacerations or burns on the actors hands. For example, at one point during the behind the scenes blu-ray, John Boyega mentions that Adam Driver was overly passionate and super intense during that forest battle. From what I've read, Adam is a big dude, so I bet his saber swings were hard and strong.

We already know that they utilized memory foam grips covered in textile due to the fact that the standard grips were too hard on the actors hands, so I think my theory makes some sense.

Thoughts?

PS: Take a look at this pic. Notice how Finn grips the saber - his thumb literally rests right up under the glass eye.

Finn.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've got my own idea as to why the knurling may have been turned down on the glass eye...

I believe the reason the knurling was turned down, was simply because the saber became uncomfortable for the actors to wield during combat. To better illustrate my point, look closely at some of the screen shots of John and Daisy gripping the saber, and you'll notice that they both grip the hilt high. They're basically resting their top hand right under the glass eye (most likely due to the red button being the activation) and if they're taking constant hits during battle sequences, I've got to imagine that the knurling was digging into, and scraping the top of their thumbs, and quite possibly the webbing between their index finger and thumb. I'm sure the knurling could have possibly caused cuts/lacerations or burns on the actors hands. For example, at one point during the behind the scenes blu-ray, John Boyega mentions that Adam Driver was overly passionate and super intense during that forest battle. From what I've read, Adam is a big dude, so I bet his saber swings were hard and strong.

We already know that they utilized memory foam grips covered in textile due to the fact that the standard grips were too hard on the actors hands, so I think my theory makes some sense.

Thoughts?

PS: Take a look at this pic. Notice how Finn grips the saber - his hand literally rests right up under the glass eye.

View attachment 653679

You may very well be right. it makes sense. However I'm pretty sure that the pic you posted, regardless of it's high detail, is a painting. not a photo. A good painting, but a painting nonetheless. If it is a photo, it's been doctored beyond belief, unnecessarily so.

You may very well be right. it makes sense. However I'm pretty sure that the pic you posted, regardless of it's high detail, is a painting. not a photo. A good painting, but a painting nonetheless. If it is a photo, it's been doctored beyond belief, unnecessarily so.

Good point Arkm. I'm trying to find better pics, and so far found 2 that pretty well illustrate the "high" grip for both Daisy and John - found these 2.

Rey.jpg
Finn 2.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back