Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I've been preaching this since last year to no avail. The responses I get to why someone can hate the movie and everything it stands for, say their peace about it, but not just let it go and move on is "Because I love and enjoy hating on this movie, even though I'm showing everyone exactly what kind of person I really am, and I'll keep beating this dead horse despite the fact I've beaten it so much there is not even dust left, because hating on this movie is the most important thing in my life".

And I, personally, feel so very sorry for those people. Like 'Bless your Heart' sorry. Sometimes you just gotta let it go and move on.

This post should be pinned to the top of every page in this topic.

Neil T, the pro rebooters talk about how Feigbusters will make it big in Japan. I think Godzilla may have something to say about Feig stepping in his territory:

http://www.scified.com/news/shin-godzilla-tops-godzilla-14-opening-in-japan

Let them keep thinking that ;o).

it's so very freeing being able to bash something you, under other circumstances would have just accepted because it's there, isn't it? ;o). that's what creators create when they are rude to people..especially when they are new creators coming in to a franchise and doing a sub standard job.

but, it'll also be a relief this'll come to an end sooner than later, and not having to put up with the people who can't figure out why you're not doing things their way when movie discussing.... too ;o). if they'd learn how to use the ignore button, their life would be saner not focusing on things that annoy them :).

Let them keep thinking that ;o).

it's so very freeing being able to bash something you, under other circumstances would have just accepted because it's there, isn't it? ;o). that's what creators create when they are rude to people..especially when they are new creators coming in to a franchise and doing a sub standard job.

but, it'll also be a relief this'll come to an end sooner than later, and not having to put up with the people who can't figure out why you're not doing things their way when movie discussing.... too ;o). if they'd learn how to use the ignore button, their life would be saner not focusing on things that annoy them :).

I never have and never will put anyone on ignore. I find character disorders fascinating.

...their life would be saner not focusing on things that annoy them :).

Went RIGHT off the top of the scale. Buried the needle!

post-8794-1403702267.gif

Oh don't worry NeilT they'll be something right over the horizon for you to irrationally hate.

Anyway for me I think the box office has more to do with the "comedy genre" then anything else. Really, this movie is just a comedy. One with a call back to a 80s favorite but a comedy none the less. So, I'm going to look up how it stacks up against the other comedies this year. Amazingly enough it is the 2nd top grossing comedy of the year! Right behind Central Intelligence.

1Jun 17, 2016Central Intelligence$125,300,228$77,400,000$202,700,228
2Jul 15, 2016Ghostbusters$106,497,206$52,100,000$158,597,206

Last edited:
I never have and never will put anyone on ignore. I find character disorders fascinating.

I don't have anyone on ignore either. It's more fun to see how completely clueless some people are.

Now some people talk a big game about putting people on ignore, but they don't, because they keep talking about your posts because it bothers them a lot more than it bothers you.

I find it, and them, HILARIOUS.

Last edited:
This has been one of the most crowded summers for movies ever and here I thought the last two years were bad. It's been impossible to keep up. I'd also probably be living on the street with the cost to go to the movies these days. There's at least 2 to 3 movies every week that I'd love to see and then something else comes out, then something else. I love the theater experience and I hate missing stuff at the cinema but it's happening more and more.

Both times I've seen GB so far has been free. Hopefully this weekend I can take my girlfriend's son and that will be the first time I've paid for it. So yeah, I've far from helped inflate the BO numbers as a fanboy.

I haven't had a chance to see it yet (I have a wife and 4 kids keeping me busy) but I had a good handful of friends (non prop, non geek, non RPF type friends) who saw GB16 and loved it. All my 'regular' friends thought it was good and funny. But they also had no expectations and were not going into it hating it.

Last edited:
Finished the Girlbusters movie, for free mind you. Wow. Where to start.
Ok. Let's be nice about some things first. Kate McKinnon is freaking hilarious as Holtzman and would have been an incredible foil as Egon's protege. She simply stole the movie and was the really only good part of it. I'm sorry we never got to see something like that because I would have paid to see a sequel with her in that role. Leslie Jones isn't nearly as offensive and as racist a caricature as she was made out to be in the trailer. She's actually more grounded than the rest of the characters. She wasn't as bad as I feared and was a decent 'everywoman' for the rest of the group. The special effects are pretty wonderful, the ghosts and ghost effects except for Rowan at the end pretty impressive. That's it for the niceties.
The movie is a steaming pile of **** otherwise. Feig, who clearly stated he did not want to do a "Ghostbusters" movie in the leaked Sony emails proved he didn't want to do one with this disaster. He just stole all the ideas from the real movie, and even lifted ones from the end of the original "Poltergeist" as well. The car and design doesn't deserve to be called the Ecto 1. McCarthy is the stupidest scientist and no role model for anyone. She's stupid and clumsy, because that's the only role she seems to play. Kristen Wiig is a non entity in this movie. The cameos are mostly insulting, and it was clear Bill Murray didn't want to be there for any of it. If you hadn't heard, he had been threatened with a lawsuit if he didn't have a cameo in it. The dumbing down of the receptionist is sexist, so much for feminism. Janine was a fantastic character, Kevin is so stupid it's a wonder he's not dead yet. But yeah, having women hire a guy because he's pretty even though completely incompetent seems like a feminist notion. And the way the women beat the main ghost at the end? Yup, they shoot it in the dick. Yeah. They shoot ghost dick to save the day. So clever you'd think it was written by a 4th Grader.
What a ****ing tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh don't worry NeilT they'll be something right over the horizon for you to irrationally hate.

Anyway for me I think the box office has more to do with the "comedy genre" then anything else. Really, this movie is just a comedy. One with a call back to a 80s favorite but a comedy none the less. So, I'm going to look up how it stacks up against the other comedies this year. Amazingly enough it is the 2nd top grossing comedy of the year! Right behind Central Intelligence.

1Jun 17, 2016Central Intelligence$125,300,228$77,400,000$202,700,228
2Jul 15, 2016Ghostbusters$106,497,206$52,100,000$158,597,206

But comedies usually dont have a budget of almost 150 Million USD.

The original GB wasn't just a comedy. It was a hybrid of comedy, action, horror, along with a fair amount of general quality thrown into the mix. That's what made it what it was.

That is why this remake smelled bad from the start. Sony expected it to pay off like a high-quality remake without putting in the creative effort. They saw "comedy" as an excuse to do a crap job.

It's been the same story for tons of Hollywood remakes in the last 10-15 years.

The original GB wasn't just a comedy. It was a hybrid of comedy, action, horror, along with a fair amount of general quality thrown into the mix. That's what made it what it was.

That is why this remake smelled bad from the start. Sony expected it to pay off like a high-quality remake without putting in the creative effort. They saw "comedy" as an excuse to do a crap job.

It's been the same story for tons of Hollywood remakes in the last 10-15 years.

Without seeing the movie it looks like we have a somewhat entertaining movie that will not see a sequel because it has just raked in enough cash to cover its production costs.

I think one of my favorite contradicting comments about this movie so far was just read recently.. ..

'I'm not going to sit here and say it's a bad movie, but I didn't like it!'

I think they kinda just did without out right committing too it ;o)

people complain too much about nothing these days. it's almost a culture to have to be outraged over something., no matter how minor.....

those stupid sexy ghostbuster costumes have been around for years.. and i thought they where horrible back then. if you're going to do a costume, do it right :)

people complain too much about nothing these days. it's almost a culture to have to be outraged over something., no matter how minor.....

those stupid sexy ghostbuster costumes have been around for years.. and i thought they where horrible back then. if you're going to do a costume, do it right :)
That article is now complaining about the Leslie Jones wig. They said something about white teenagers buying the wig and costume and then putting on black face. Nothing like giving teenagers stupid ideas for Halloween.

Okay, I'm convinced this is all just a big comedy act. This is too much! :lol

For people actually interested in the movie, here's some fun concept art! The first piece is by Henry Mayo, who was one of the primary concept artists on GB2. He worked on the GB2 Slimer redesign, as well as the final designs for the Scoleri Brothers.

hmgb3a40.jpg

MB-0825.jpg

conpercher.jpg

2015_03_03_Nooze.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back