Armored Wolverine Costume

Dancin_Fool

Hey guys, I've been building an armored wolverine costume for the better part of the last month. I'm building the suit for ECCC in April. I was hoping to have it done by the end of the month but it looks like it's going to bleed a little into February. I've got a big costume I'm starting in February so I need to get this one buttoned up.

So the inspiration for this costume came from the bat suit in Arkham Origins and then a number of different wolverine concepts I've come across.

The parts were a mix of templates drawn up in photoshop and scratch built items to fill the gaps. All the parts are made out ofEVA foam. With the exception of the helmet and claws which are 3d printed.

This thread is useless without pics so let's take a look at what I've got built.

IMG_1747.JPG
This was the first set of templates I made for the chest.

IMG_1758.JPG

I traced the templates on to EVA foam and then sanded down the edges with a dremel and shaped them a little bit with a heat gun.

IMG_1765.JPG
Here's a few of the back pieces added to the mix.

IMG_1777.JPG
First test fit of the gauntlet pieces.

IMG_1794.JPG
I wanted to add leather straps around the gauntlet. So I used a technique where you use a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil, iron that over top of the foam, and it gives the foam a beaten up leather appearance.

IMG_1795.JPG
Here's the straps test fitted to the gauntlet with some tape and 3d printed pieces to loop around.

IMG_1799.JPG
The first 3d printed claw, just printed one at first to test for size.

IMG_1801.JPG
Checking out how it looks in proportion to my hand. I was happy with the results so I went ahead and printed the rest of the claws.

IMG_1806.JPG
Next up was the bicep/tricep/shoulder armor. I used some thinner craft foam to give each of the pieces a bit of an outline. I created some kind of musculature type pieces to mount the shoulder on to which will then be strapped down tight against my chest. I etched in some detail lines just using a plastic tool I have with a pointed end.

IMG_1802.JPG
Quick test fit of the armor to make sure everything is fitting together. So far so good.

IMG_1808.JPG
I started to work on the back and realized that the armor I had for the back was way too small. So I built some additional armor plates to sit at the top of the back. I also started to form a collar piece that would link the back to the front. My plan is to add some raised bits between the neck and shoulder similar to Wolverines classic stripes. I'm also going to thicken up the collar to give it a bit more pop.

IMG_1811.JPG
Another test fitting of the parts. I need to start getting some strapping done. It was hard to take this picture and hold the armor on. The upper forearm needs more work, I'm not loving them right now.

IMG_1815.JPG
I cobbled together a pelvis and some thighs. I'm going to mount a belt on top of the pelvis to give it a bit more detail and maybe etch in some detail lines. The thighs still need more work as well. I'm going to extend them down a bit more with some additional detail bits.

IMG_1828.JPG
Finally we get to the calves. I tried to give them the winged appearance that Wolverine has always traditionally had on his boots.

IMG_1825.JPG
First calf done. Pretty happy with how it came out.

IMG_1833.JPG
Two calves done! You can get a better sense of the winged tops in this picture. I'm really happy with how these guys came out. The next step is adding boot covers and some knee pads.

IMG_1804.JPG
This is the helmet I'm going to be using for the costume. I took the pepakura file and converted it to be 3d printable. I'd love to show some pictures of the actual print but the damn printer nozzle jammed over the weekend and I haven't had time to take it all apart and clean it out properly. I swear those printers are more trouble than they're worth.

I also put together a summary vlog going over some of the processes. I'll have another one up on my Youtube channel in 2 weeks. I try to release video's every Monday and this Monday is already accounted for. You can check out some of my other videos on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/TheArmoredGarage

So, now that I have that initial spew of pictures up I'll try to do nightly updates as the build finishes up. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey jf customs has an amazing unfold of the cowl if you keep having issues with your printer....and i agree with you about the printers...

cool build. so you basically copied the batman arkham origins amor and wolverinized it.

Yup, exactly. Arkham Origins and this version of Wolverine, the paint will be mostly based on 90's Wolverine.
4J3wahp.jpg

hey jf customs has an amazing unfold of the cowl if you keep having issues with your printer....and i agree with you about the printers...
Thanks, that's totally the pdo I have. I converted it for 3d printing. That's likely the route I'll go if I can't get my printer going.

Some more work done on the legs. I think they're essentially done aside from some detail rivets. Tonight I'm going to try to tackle the pelvis and belt. My plan is to build them as a single connected piece that can slide over top of the abs and back.

12592569_504977106348613_4986414960421917267_n.jpg

This is going to look rad when painted. Are you planning to mount the claws onto a glove, or do the handle method so you hold onto them?

This is going to look rad when painted. Are you planning to mount the claws onto a glove, or do the handle method so you hold onto them?

Thanks! My plan is to mount the claws on to the handplate with the comic style metal covers where they come out. I want it to have more of a comic look to it.

More progress from over the weekend! Finished up the belt and started strapping down the costume. The holes in the belt were tricky. I wound up using a pill bottle lid to cut out the initial circle and then used my drill to drill out the inside. I love how the abs detail came out on the costume. I added a collar to the neck area and I think I need to add a dart so that the neck slopes down more to the shoulders. From here on out it's mostly just finishing up the strapping and adding additional details. I haven't gotten around to fixing up my 3d printer so hopefully I can tackle that this week and finish up the helmet.
IMG_1846.JPGIMG_1853.JPGIMG_1852.JPGIMG_1860.JPG

Yeah man thats rad. You definitely have the hairy arms to pull it off! :lol I wish I could afford a 3D printer, the stuff you can do with them is insane.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back