Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

This! If you wanted all the work been done for you then perhaps modeling is not your thing.

I get what you guys are saying, sure the fixes aren't a big deal to us model builders. BUT it was advertised as a easy to assemble replica that doesn't need painting. Besides all the other things that are borderline false advertising, like the stand, they realize that most people aren't going to cancel a subscription for a model that they've put hundreds of dollars in once they find its not everything advertised. It's not like you can get your money back and who wants half a model? The point is in reality, why insult someone for criticizing a product they paid for. You are happy with your purchase, he's not, why not just leave it at that? What skin do you guys have in it that criticism hurts you? But hey, whatever I guess, mock away if you must. Just remember he's a person, not a piece of plastic.

Bill

I get what you guys are saying, sure the fixes aren't a big deal to us model builders. BUT it was advertised as a easy to assemble replica that doesn't need painting. Besides all the other things that are borderline false advertising, like the stand, they realize that most people aren't going to cancel a subscription for a model that they've put hundreds of dollars in once they find its not everything advertised. It's not like you can get your money back and who wants half a model? The point is in reality, why insult someone for criticizing a product they paid for. You are happy with your purchase, he's not, why not just leave it at that? What skin do you guys have in it that criticism hurts you? But hey, whatever I guess, mock away if you must. Just remember he's a person, not a piece of plastic.

Bill

It was advertised as a model that came with PRE-PAINTED hull parts. Where does it say it does not need painting? The initial advertisement said you could leave it as it came or you could take it to the next level and paint and detail as you wish. In fact the company provided some instructional videos!!! They never said it didnt need painting....Who ever has been saying that is wrong or has failed to comprehend the model's description. The assembly may not be snap tite level but certainly is NOT the most complex model ever to come as a kit. The advertisement was CLEAR enough, but if the person failed to apply some simple logic and common sense he/she developed a false expectation its not anybody's fault. The complains sometimes come as hysterical and sometimes absurd. Its almost as if some here expected a snap tite level model basically almost half completed.... The truth is that as it is now its the best, most detailed model kit available that is also the best bang for your buck. No model is perfect and if you are truly a model builder with enough experience will know this to be true. I will just look away from this thread since the level of dramatics is getting, quite frankly, ridiculous. I have better things to do, like working on my models, than continue to discuss this nonsense.

Last edited:
Jedi Dade, if I can remember correctly (SOOO long ago it seems), I'm pretty sure after 4 issues I at least suspected this would need a lot of help. And I'm okay with painting models, and I'm pretty sure even before I got the first issues, I expected to have to do some custom work on it. So now I'm going to have to do a little more than expected. I guess I felt bad for those that purchased the kit who aren't on here, who won't get to see the shared ideas and tutorials (i.e., Darkview's great thread of his build), and who thought it would just be getting the pieces and assembling them, with little or no painting.

But what mostly bothered me was the false or misleading advertising and statements DeAgostini put out. If it was just the paint job, okay, that's only one thing. But then there's the missing parts, and the parts that are hosed up, and the parts that are hosed up that other regions of the world got the corrected versions... for the amount of money I paid (and, not speaking for others, but for me this was a lot of money), I expect better from ANY company.

That ALL being said, I'm pretty sure this is still the most accurate Falcon out there. I had bought the Fine Molds before this and had yet to start: I know people had issues with it (wonder if they got flamed?), so when this came out, I decided to take the chance and make the investment.

Will I enjoy building it? I expect so. Will it look sweet when I'm done? I hope so! Am I looking forward to the build? Definitely!

My issue was with DeAgostini not delivering what they promised. Perhaps I didn't make that clear in my initial post. Whatever the case, I thought, and still believe, the RPF is a place to share opinions, for or against, without having one's "arms pulled from their sockets." And if there are bullies on here that want to call me or anyone "pathetic", then I'll just have to place them on that handy-dandy "Ignore" list. Because they are not adding to a civil debate, nor the growth and sharing of ideas with other modelers (no matter their level of expertise). And life is too short and there are more important things than arguing with people like that... so it's easier to just "ignore" them. And if anyone thinks that I'm an idiot (and they'd be half right) or that I complain too much (ditto), than feel free to put me on your "Ignore" list. ;)

So, thanks for your input, Jedi Dade... making good and fair points without being insulting. Hopefully others will learn from your example. :)

Regards,
Chris

Honestly if you did not plan on at least repainting a factory paint job I don't know what to tell you... and as someone said it was obvious after the first couple of issues that they were not going to keep up wit the paint. and if you needed more hints there were the 4 Steve Dymso paint vids that I suspect they paid him to do...

Its a great model - learn to paint, and build it!

Jedi Dade

- - - Updated - - -

Bill

What he said. :)

Deagostini creating commercials and through advertising are trying for mass market and while I can't remember the exact numbers they appear to have gotten some of the mass market. There is a reason why they don't have pictures of the finished stock falcon on their website and in the advertising. It doesn't scream $1,500 dollars. When I saw the completed picture in issue 100, I wondered if I had seen that photo 2 years ago would I have opted for the hasbro conversion(and yes, I have a hasbro in the basement that I'll probably never get to build). If you have or know anyone that has dealt with overseas vendors then you will probably understand that they did extremely well in getting it as accurate as it is. They really should have followed through on having the main panels painted on both top and bottom. It's in their best interest and our best interest to grow the market. We should want the non-model maker to complete the falcon and feel good about it. If this was a resin kit I would absolutely agree that you really can't complain about having to put work into it but it, in my opinion, is a $1,500 dollar mass market kit whose advertising doesn't include pictures of the actual kit much less the actual stock kit. That being said, Scarecrow Joe is right in saying that it is simply the best option on the table.
The biggest thing in my mind is the paint guide, they had 100 issues to provide reference photos and a detailed paint guide and instead we got 100 issues of something that I never read. Yes, they put some effort into creating a paint guide but as I said before, don't we want to make it as idiot proof as possible? They could have done panel by panel guide with mix ratios for all the panels so that everyone, novice and pro alike, could at least have the base accurate before the weathering begins.Perhaps some might question my ability to paint because of these comments, you can see my fine molds falcon way back on page 98 so you can see that I'm not completely horrible, though some days I look at it and think that I suck and others I don't think I'm half bad. As I said, I was really hoping to improve the paint job with this falcon. Anyway, just my two cents for those that are interested and those that are not are free to erase this from their memory.

Last edited:
Check out page 165 #4112 of this thread. Best paint guide/reference anyone could ask for and better than any magic reference some are still waiting for.

Thanks Mike, I will check it out. I'm not sure I was looking for magic, just something along the line of how I personally would have prepared a guide. They did after all have a guy that spent a week with it and took hundreds of photos from every angle. At any rate I will check it out and thanks again.

I'd be surprised if people would have thought they would be OK with a factory paint job--painting it was pretty much a guarantee. I think the only thing I'm not really happy with is the battle damage parts because it's not done well and most people will have to refill those parts and do it properly.

Done!!!!

3c25d6a5d5ed94916e40489bf9d1cfac.jpg

1f4d3c05bd7f9fc5e2d6eddf6d87b01c.jpg

8e2f577b05264054cccf5cb2eefe9815.jpg

d99e3b5e1e42aac0913ae036f031596a.jpg

450e5da2e8eb826e675e59491045d51e.jpg

47556f4b10ef34d3ccd01605833d5b75.jpg

e0c853d7c3405bbab6e8233e914d9aa9.jpg

21ca0e71032a0538c958d693544f3bbb.jpg

I cut and repositioned the rear toes on the back landing gear to make it more accurate.

Done!!!!

I cut and repositioned the rear toes on the back landing gear to make it more accurate.

That looks amazing!

To save my looking through tons of old posts (and at work I can't see a lot of posts... firewalls) did you have a build thread?

I'm curious on your painting techniques! Great, great job.

Thanks guys!!! No I didn't do a build thread. Don't have the patience for that haha!!! There are pictures on my Instagram though if you want to peruse that. I'm greedo737 on there as well.

Congratulations greedo737 ,
Terrific looking lady , and really interesting details and finishes . Any idea how you'll eventually end up displaying her ?
Thanks again for sharing mate .

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there extra lighting? Just curious how much after market is ont there

Yeah, Greedo, it looks like you have that lighting kit that everyone was just discussing in another thread (I can't remember the dude's name, but he was based off of Facebook). Also, an Engine Screen (Paragrafix?), some sort of mod to the interior of the engine "flaps" (not sure what they're called), and landing gear doors. And that's just the stuff I noticed and can see.

So come on... spill the beans, and let us know what goes in to creating such a beauty (DEFINITELY will make point-5 past light speed!). ;)

Chris

Thanks for the compliments guys!!

Yes, I got Chris Holland's light kit. Also the paragrafix engine grill. The ribbed portion on the top and bottom of the engine I got here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/X...st-plates-for-the-ion-drive?optionId=61424793

I also ordered his engine grill to go over the paragrafix to hopefully give it a cooler look. It still hasn't shipped yet so technically I'm not done haha

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6...con-engine-grill-fins-curve?optionId=61224685

And the open bay doors are here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6...-tri-doors-for-deago-falcon?optionId=61182548

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back