JAWS- Hoopers shark tracker prop info and discussion

Does anyone have copies of the Neo Flasher sticker they are willing to sell? I still need one.

Im working on it lol! I got the foil and a vinyl plotter to cut it out perfectly. I am still waiting for my neo tracker to do the final fitting, so hopefully next week I should get it and I can some up. I think most people here recommend using a inkjet printer vs a laser printer. I have both so I will give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have copies of the Neo Flasher sticker they are willing to sell? I still need one.

Im working on it lol! I got the foil and a vinyl plotter to cut it out perfectly. I am still waiting for my neo tracker to do the final fitting, so hopefully next week I should get it and I can some up. I think most people here recommend using a inkjet printer vs a laser printer. I have both so I will give it a try.

Ok I finally got the beacon, I bought some silhouette silver printable foil from amazon and thank you Enjay for the high res file so I could print it. I used a laser printer, inkjet may have worked better as some of the orange can blotch up a little with the laser, but I think with the inkjet I would not get the crisp black lines. I printed up a sheet and used my vinyl plotter to cut them out. It took about 3 different stickers for me to get it as straight as I could. I am still not 100% happy with how I applied it but at least it looks pretty close! Thanks again to everyone, I cant wait to get it framed up in a shadow box. I have about 6 left so if anyone wants some PM me. 20150918_065851.jpg20150918_072758.jpg20150918_085243.jpg

All this discussion about the foil sticker... It's kind of interesting to see that the Screen-Used Tracker has it's sticker all faded away. Ahhhh. Such are the ravages of time, eh?

View attachment 526368 View attachment 526372 View attachment 526373 View attachment 526374
ive always been sceptical about the legitimacy of the neo flasher owned by Chris Kiszka, especially the "faded" label. The label isn't the right size, the radius of the corners doesn't match a real neo flasher label and there isn't a hint of the original graphic. It looks like aluminium plumbing tape to me. Aside from the fact that it's in a collection of other JAWS props it looks like a generic SDU unit. Maybe the unit is genuine but the label is not.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I finally got the beacon, I bought some silhouette silver printable foil from amazon and thank you Enjay for the high res file so I could print it. I used a laser printer, inkjet may have worked better as some of the orange can blotch up a little with the laser, but I think with the inkjet I would not get the crisp black lines. I printed up a sheet and used my vinyl plotter to cut them out. It took about 3 different stickers for me to get it as straight as I could. I am still not 100% happy with how I applied it but at least it looks pretty close! Thanks again to everyone, I cant wait to get it framed up in a shadow box. I have about 6 left so if anyone wants some PM me.View attachment 530149View attachment 530150View attachment 530151
looks great!

I think you are right, that one in the catalog looks like it was hvac tape ant its not even cut symmetrically. How could it be in the catalog if it was not legit. Unfortunately I do not have any more labels, I spilled my diet coke on the entire rest of the sheet:(

Custom back label based on the film rather than the standard neo flasher serial label.
View attachment 526323
If you need some clarification about the size of the label, check out Lukes photo of the strobe unit. The labels length can be compared next to the tape measure.

Do we want to look at making these, the REAL SDU-5 decal is clear and black in this format... Do we have closer pics of this decal or this info was confirmed?

- - - Updated - - -

ive always been sceptical about the legitimacy of the neo flasher owned by Chris Kiszka, especially the "faded" label. The label isn't the right size, the radius of the corners doesn't match a real neo flasher label and there isn't a hint of the original graphic. It looks like aluminium plumbing tape to me. Aside from the fact that it's in a collection of other JAWS props it looks like a generic SDU unit. Maybe the unit is genuine but the label is not.
looks great!

True, I do not know the guy, he maybe just going off what he been told too! However, working on movies that maybe the case EXACTLY but the tape could been done by studio too and was just one of many that hit the water. The saltwater could done it or was just tape for looks... I have gotten many screen used items that are not the same across the board even in this day and age can only imagine what they slapped together back then!

I think you are right, that one in the catalog looks like it was hvac tape ant its not even cut symmetrically. How could it be in the catalog if it was not legit. Unfortunately I do not have any more labels, I spilled my diet coke on the entire rest of the sheet:(

Well the unit has been in the possession of Chris Kiszka for a number of years along with all the other pieces in the collection. The barrel is definitely genuine. If you ever see a supposedly genuine screen used barrel they have the metal ring below the bottom lip of the barrel (just below the rope). These were put on the barrels as a secure method of attaching the rope, otherwise the rope would stretch in the sea water and slip off the barrel.

It's a shame about the labels. I'm looking to get some printed on some reflective foil soon so watch this space.

Do we want to look at making these, the REAL SDU-5 decal is clear and black in this format... Do we have closer pics of this decal or this info was confirmed?

- - - Updated - - -

True, I do not know the guy, he maybe just going off what he been told too! However, working on movies that maybe the case EXACTLY but the tape could been done by studio too and was just one of many that hit the water. The saltwater could done it or was just tape for looks... I have gotten many screen used items that are not the same across the board even in this day and age can only imagine what they slapped together back then!

That's the only picture I could find that shows the back label. I literally just threw together an orange label with white bars on it then I put some interesting references on there - JWS - 25 3T 75 = JAWS, 25 feet, 3 tons, 1975 ;)

I guess the label could've perished in the sea and production put a silver strip on there for continuity. Seems plausible.

Since I fubared, my first run of stickers by spilling a drink on them I am going to print up and cut another set. If anyone is interested let me know, it should be by next week as I need to get some more supplies first.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the really helpful information that's been shared here. Earlier this year, I finally picked up an Orca barrel and I immediately figured I should get Brody's shark tracker as a companion piece, so the details of this thread have really come in handy. And thanks to 1badf350, who provided me with his Neo-Flasher label, I think I'm all set. Thanks again!

JAWS strobe new LO.jpg

SaveSave
SaveSave

JAWS strobe new LO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back