11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver (Mostly) scratch build.

phez

Sr Member
With the 50th and all I decided to see if I could do an 11th Sonic.
Anakin Starkiller and I have been working on this for a few weeks.

I got to a point where I think I have solved all of the problems and can finish it up, so I decided to post some pics. I have a bunch of in progress pics that I will post if anyone is interested.

All of the Copper parts are machined Copper like on the original.
The handle is a temp until we finish the final part. I am going to be trying to figure out the swirl green tip this weekend.

closed11.jpeg
open11.jpeg
IMG_0135.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice! I was trying to come up with a way to make a Sonic Screwdriver multi-tool. A flashlight is obvious, Add an inside holder for screwdriver bits and maybe some other little additions. I just hope the finished product looks half as good as yours!

That looks really great. I've been wanting one of these for a really long time and finally decided to go with one of the converted remotes.

Glad to see your still having fun with your lathe.

That is magnificient! Makes me REALLY wish I had some skills!

On another note..... I was thinking......Shapeways can print in ceramic......white handle.......?

An actual ceramic handle would be cool. Where did you find that option on the site?

I had a few people PM and ask how the slider part worked on this and figured I would just post it here. Here is what I did, I do not know if it is exactly how the real ones work or not but I think they have to work something like this.

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

@NMR Shapeways wont do anything as small as the sonic handle in ceramic. I tried to order one, which I added an extension on, thinking I could just cut it off afterwards and they canceled my order.

phez, Looks amazing! Can't wait!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Man the IPad really distorts things if you are trying to photograph them up close.

I tried machining the handle out of some ivory colored Acrylic rod I had. I think it came out pretty good (I have some tweaks to make to the measurements. It is a bit short, that is why to top part is not bigger around). Once it is polished up it looks a lot like ceramic. The pic under the lighting at my workbench makes it hard to see. I will shoot a pic outside tomorrow and see if that picks it up a bit more.

This is the stuff I used.

phez, Looks amazing! Can't wait!

Dan
Almost done :)

11Handle.JPG

Last edited:
Now you're just showing off
:lol:lol

Copper Rings:

I made this holder tool so I could flip the rings over and use the curved forming tool on both sides. It made the ring curves look nice and even.

Small Ring
IMG_0091.JPG

Big Ring
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG

This is absolutely incredible! I love that the whole board has gone sonic-crazy lately.

Thanks for sharing how your slider is put together, but I'm curious whether you could explain how your prongs expand. Do you use a centrally sprung collar that pushes them all together or are they individually sprung?

Can't wait to see more of your build pics!

-Nick

This is absolutely incredible! I love that the whole board has gone sonic-crazy lately.
I know, it's awesome :lol

but I'm curious whether you could explain how your prongs expand. Do you use a centrally sprung collar that pushes them all together or are they individually sprung?

I think that is actually Dan's (Anakin Starkiller) design (that is where I got that part from) and he may be able to explain how it works a bit better. There is a bunch of little springs. I can tell you it is not a good idea to take a Dremel cutting wheel to it to try to make the claws open farther. I can confirm that aspect of the design :facepalm.

Like Phez said. 4 little springs, each connected to the bottom of to a claw and all connected to the central claw holder. The way the co does it, with a central sprung collar doesn't work for a prop replica. That's why the co toy's claws are so hit.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back