Almost Human

Am I the only one that is slightly disappointed that they haven't quite picked a solid semi-linear plot yet? Maybe I'm being overly critical, but if it keeps going like this every week where there is constantly a different bad guy, and the adversity only lasts for the episode it is going to turn into an episode of Cops in a futuristic setting.

I hope I'm not coming off as a "basher" because I really like the show, but I see a lot more potential. Maybe J.J. is still setting up the characters though. Who knows...

that seems to be the way JJ works. Fringe started off the same way...monster of the week then 'the observer' plot line kicked in. i think the AH plot line will all go back to the ambush that cost Kennix is partner...and his leg.

We didn't hear about them in the two last episodes, but there is this syndicate group that got his partner killed and cost him his leg that is still unresolved I think. I guess it's going to pick up soon I guess, but I hope they don't drag it over several seasons neither, like Red John in the Mentalist, became boring with a showdown not very spectacular ... 1 main plot per season would be good ! Anyway, so far so good for me.

What's up Bad Wolf? How was your Thanksgiving? OK... so here's the scoop. Whoever listed the information on the IMFDB, is not 100 percent correct. With respect to Det Kennex's gun.... there is a pretty cool story behind it. First, as you probably are going to beat me to my next comment. :) Yes, I built Karls' hero guns. So, this is how it started out. During the pilot, Karl saw the gun Kellerher was using and mentioned to the studio how he would like something like that. The gun Kellerher is using is a heavily modified version (started life as) of the "Timecop" gun. Actually, his gun is the firing hero originally built for David Halleshoff for the show "Nick Fury: Agent of Shield".

I was commissioned to build a gun similar to that for Karl. The hero was sent to me and I examined what I could use and what I wanted to change. My hero guns I redesigned and built entirely new from the ground up. However, I had to stay close to the Nick Fury gun as this was the design Karl liked. The Nick Fury gun had a opened area where a laser would normally go a but had kind of a blue acrylic visible cylinder there. The Nick fury gun had multiple pieces all screwed to the slide and frame. If you guys know how a Timecop gun goes together, you'll understand. So, I wanted to keep it simple. I began by creating 3 main parts. I sort of clamshell in the front which I mounted to the lower frame and a top piece covering the back sight. I also redesigned the lower front section and created a cavity in the clamshell to house a modified laser module. On the sides of the clamshell I decided I wanted to create a kind of data plate to identify the weapon. I came up with a couple designs and passed those off to the prop master for approval. In the end, I designed two detailed plates... one on each side of the gun. On the left is a plate with simulated buttons etc to control the laser module... adjustment type controls. On the right is the identification plate.

But, there's some secret designs to the gun. LOL It's obvious to anyone that knows my work and how I build. Next, the original grips placed on the weapon were rosewood and Karl didn't feel they "fit" this weapon. So, I was asked to come up with something new. I looked through my old wood stash and came across a beautiful block of dark walnut I was saving. So, did the CAD for the new grips and machined those up. Karl was right about the different grips.... the gun looks a ton better and became the final "look".

So, in the end.... Nick Fury's gun was a modified Timecop piece but mine is a totally redesigned gun. Yes, it does look similar but if you look at the front and the sides of the two guns, they are quite different. It is cool to mention that one of the most rented out (modified) guns in the industry could very well be the Timecop guns. :) It's also cool to note that all 3 guns are "cop" guns of some kind.

Oh... another note.... I did not use Taurus PT99s...... I used PT92AF guns.

One very last thing. Could we please not tag it as a "Timecop" gun? :) Pa Pa PA Please. :facepalm This is a very different gun. lol

Kenney

hiya kenney!! how's it going, man? hope you and yours had a good TG :)

that's very interesting info and i, for one, thank you for sharing!
it's funny, in one pic i thought the grips looked brown and thought they had been painted.
so it seems Urban is either a gun-guy or prop-guy, huh? nice!!

ok, my word means nothing, but i hereby suggest that the pistol KU carries...you're creation...be known as the "kennix gun' and NOT the "timecop gun" :lol
and please don't be offended but i have an old one piece resin 'timecop' pistol that i'm gonna do a down and dirty conversion on to make it the Kennix gun :)

What's up Bad Wolf? How was your Thanksgiving? OK... so here's the scoop. Whoever listed the information on the IMFDB, is not 100 percent correct. With respect to Det Kennex's gun.... there is a pretty cool story behind it. First, as you probably are going to beat me to my next comment. :) Yes, I built Karls' hero guns. So, this is how it started out. During the pilot, Karl saw the gun Kellerher was using and mentioned to the studio how he would like something like that. The gun Kellerher is using is a heavily modified version (started life as) of the "Timecop" gun. Actually, his gun is the firing hero originally built for David Halleshoff for the show "Nick Fury: Agent of Shield".

I was commissioned to build a gun similar to that for Karl. The hero was sent to me and I examined what I could use and what I wanted to change. My hero guns I redesigned and built entirely new from the ground up. However, I had to stay close to the Nick Fury gun as this was the design Karl liked. The Nick Fury gun had a opened area where a laser would normally go a but had kind of a blue acrylic visible cylinder there. The Nick fury gun had multiple pieces all screwed to the slide and frame. If you guys know how a Timecop gun goes together, you'll understand. So, I wanted to keep it simple. I began by creating 3 main parts. I sort of clamshell in the front which I mounted to the lower frame and a top piece covering the back sight. I also redesigned the lower front section and created a cavity in the clamshell to house a modified laser module. On the sides of the clamshell I decided I wanted to create a kind of data plate to identify the weapon. I came up with a couple designs and passed those off to the prop master for approval. In the end, I designed two detailed plates... one on each side of the gun. On the left is a plate with simulated buttons etc to control the laser module... adjustment type controls. On the right is the identification plate.

But, there's some secret designs to the gun. LOL It's obvious to anyone that knows my work and how I build. Next, the original grips placed on the weapon were rosewood and Karl didn't feel they "fit" this weapon. So, I was asked to come up with something new. I looked through my old wood stash and came across a beautiful block of dark walnut I was saving. So, did the CAD for the new grips and machined those up. Karl was right about the different grips.... the gun looks a ton better and became the final "look".

So, in the end.... Nick Fury's gun was a modified Timecop piece but mine is a totally redesigned gun. Yes, it does look similar but if you look at the front and the sides of the two guns, they are quite different. It is cool to mention that one of the most rented out (modified) guns in the industry could very well be the Timecop guns. :) It's also cool to note that all 3 guns are "cop" guns of some kind.

Oh... another note.... I did not use Taurus PT99s...... I used PT92AF guns.

One very last thing. Could we please not tag it as a "Timecop" gun? :) Pa Pa PA Please. :facepalm This is a very different gun. lol

Kenney

This is so freaking cool.

It seems that mystery has been solved. Thanks for the info!

I think Karl is definitely a weapons and prop guy. However, I have to stress this about Karl. I had to do a fitting with him for his holsters and we got to chat about the show for a little. I have to say, Karl is extremely passionate about his work and his character. I'm not saying that because I'm a huge Dredd fan.... lol.... but because its true. While on set and watching him work... he was always very particular about what he did and how things went. He told me specifics about the gun and how the one I built for him just "fit" his character. As well as the new grips. I did find something very cool about him. I had made a comment to him about how we indirectly worked on another project together. He said... "yeah, I know... you built the phasers for Trek". I thought that was pretty cool of him. I don't know who told him but he knew who I was. I guess that's my geek moment. Most of the time, I'm the guy at the bottom of the food chain. Not that I mind... I love what I do and working for Almost Human is probably one of my favorite shows to be a part of.

The studio has done a amazing job with this project. The main police HQ is f@cking amazing! Seeing it on TV by no means compares to the actual set. I was very impressed. I hope to be a part of this project for a while, if they'll have me.

One thing.... I like what you say, Bad Wolf...... I think the "Kennex Gun" works really nice. You guys find any of the hidden stuff on the guns. Well, some of it not so hidden. LOL I'll give you a hint. Some of it is cop related details.

Next new show with a gun - ask Kenney! :D Very coool!

I like the 3rd episode for the use of Rudy, the android's dept guy, who is also a chemist. Sideline characters don't often get the chance to shine.

I've been a fan of Urban's work since 'ghost ship'...after reading your post, kenney, I like the guy even more now.

"hidden stuff on the guns"???? I'm gonna have to take another look LOL

I think Karl is definitely a weapons and prop guy. However, I have to stress this about Karl. I had to do a fitting with him for his holsters and we got to chat about the show for a little. I have to say, Karl is extremely passionate about his work and his character. I'm not saying that because I'm a huge Dredd fan.... lol.... but because its true. While on set and watching him work... he was always very particular about what he did and how things went. He told me specifics about the gun and how the one I built for him just "fit" his character. As well as the new grips. I did find something very cool about him. I had made a comment to him about how we indirectly worked on another project together. He said... "yeah, I know... you built the phasers for Trek". I thought that was pretty cool of him. I don't know who told him but he knew who I was. I guess that's my geek moment. Most of the time, I'm the guy at the bottom of the food chain. Not that I mind... I love what I do and working for Almost Human is probably one of my favorite shows to be a part of.

The studio has done a amazing job with this project. The main police HQ is f@cking amazing! Seeing it on TV by no means compares to the actual set. I was very impressed. I hope to be a part of this project for a while, if they'll have me.

One thing.... I like what you say, Bad Wolf...... I think the "Kennex Gun" works really nice. You guys find any of the hidden stuff on the guns. Well, some of it not so hidden. LOL I'll give you a hint. Some of it is cop related details.

Maybe he's that into props that he follows these things. Heck he could be a member on the forum here. I'm sure other famous folks come looking. I think will smith mentioned the site once before.

The Facebook page Sci Fi Corridor put me in the mood to turn off all the lights and watch Alien or Moon tonight. Instead, I decided to put our Hulu Plus subscription to use and watch the first episode of Almost Human. I figured my wife would be down because her boy Karl Urban stars. I wasn't digging the concept so I hadn't watched any of the show, but I'm on board now. My wife might be, too. (She didn't fall asleep until the third act.)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back