Defiance Lawkeeper's Pistol - [Build] [Pic Heavy]

Re: Defiance Lawkeeper's Pistol - [Build]

So i got some stock of styrene in the mail, for this project i chose to go with thin stock.

If this helps anyone i use the following image as reference to order the Styrene Sheets.
71fhZJUpqlL_SL1500__zps5002b73b.jpg

So i started to cut and shape the smaller profile pockets-its better to fill these pockets with styrene as they are hard to smooth out otherwise.
photo3_zps62879cab.jpg

In this case i will need to cut two of each kind, so instead of cutting and gluing the pockets, i do the following.

1. Cut the piece-shape the profile
2. Using the above cut piece as template cut another one of the same kind for the other side of the gun.
3. In the end you have 2 of each kind.
4. Glue the cut pieces into the pockets.

Note:- How to cut the Styrene Sheets: This is how i do it and find it most easy. There might be better methods of doing this, i always use this method.

1. Print out a blueprint of the gun on regular printing paper.
2. Cut the shape out. One solid or several small ones.
3. Drop a single drop of glue in the middle and stick the cut shape onto styrene sheet.
4. Tape all side down if u need to.
5. Using a sharp carving tool (i use a dart from my dartboard) you can even use a pen go thru the paper and make an outline grove into the styrene sheet.
6. Trace the outline this time with a pen, hence making the outline visible. Now grab the carving tool, this time with little more pressure trace the outline. Do this a few times or until a good depth is reached.
7. Use x acto knife to trace the grove with little pressure, keep tracing and checking to see if the piece can be pop out.

photo2_zps89054483.jpg

photo1_zps6c970c8f.jpg

photo2_zps6deb1ad7.jpg

Next - Will be sanding the styrene >> Fill in the gaps with putty>>sanding again > To make the lines sharper.

Last edited:

Looks great jessec. can't wait to see this complete. and thanks for the styrene tip. I for one can use it....

Last night i worked on cleaning up the extra styrene by trimming it with a knife carefully and then by sanding it down.

I also cut the top back piece of the gun, here is the process so far.

null_zpseb8ce0af.jpg

Both pieces on the Gun-still needs a trim and shaping up a little.
null_zpsc4bd5bfc.jpg

null_zps04427ae0.jpg

Last edited:

Today i made the front barrel profile. Here's how it looks.

null_zps30e68d4e.jpg

null_zps7155187d.jpg

Photo showing scale against a Star Trek into Darkness phaser.
null_zpsb4bf5548.jpg

null_zps2c11d020.jpg

Last edited:

This evening i tried to tackle something that i have been dreading doing..the small lines on top of the back end of the gun...only did one side and i am not happy with it. Will clean it up a little more tomorrow with a knife and hope it will get to an acceptable level..

null_zpse9462fc2.jpg

null_zps94ed2165.jpg

Next - will do bondo and clean up the lines.

So with an engraving bit on the dremel i carved out the lines on the other side.
photo2_zps99d497f3.jpg

so to straighten those lines and pockets i used emery boards meant to foil and make your nails pretty. This works great as you do not have to cut and make your own little sandpaper stick.

null_zps1ffecbb2.jpg

Lines Cleaned up
null_zps2c6b6da4.jpg

The whole thing is sanded down softly and filled with bondo.
After filling up the lines, i touched up the thing and filled in the gaps and did other small touch up work.
photo4_zpsc4eb4bf6.jpg

About an hr later i soft sanded the entire thing- Will wait about 12-18 hrs to sand it again and profile the line and clean up the whole thing.
photo3_zpsdcfb27f0.jpg

photo2_zpsfb2292b9.jpg

So a full day later - i picked up the gun and gave it a soft sand on both sides to take off the extra bondo.

And Jumped right into cleaning up all the lines and pockets and other profiles, worked for about 3 hours cleaning up.

Before
photo1_zps01e62523.jpg

After
photo2_zps5b1f3d47.jpg

Heavy imperfections are almost gone after that sanding session.

photo3_zps848a1928.jpg

photo5_zpsb18ccf3d.jpg

photo4_zps8413ab12.jpg

Closer look at some of the detail.
photo1_zps0b768dfe.jpg

Next : Will be a light coat of primer >> Light Sanding >> Another Primer & Bondo and smoothing out again.

Last edited:
Excellent scratch build. I have been able to do everything you did, but I get stumped on the final details, such as the ribbing of the handle and the texture (the soft "rubber" grip textureing). I guess it's just something to take more time and patience.

Excellent scratch build. I have been able to do everything you did, but I get stumped on the final details, such as the ribbing of the handle and the texture (the soft "rubber" grip textureing). I guess it's just something to take more time and patience.

Cool deal , would love to see what u done!

I have been thinking about the curves on and around the grip, i guess will do that when i glue it all together. I think for the finish i would go more for the silverish look instead of the darker one.

It's just patience and be as precise as you can. I think you've done a great job on it so far.

This is one of my older projects- a 2x of Mr. Machine that is radio controlled- his eyes roll, his mouth opens and closes, he has a speaker system with a sound card that tells fortunes, the lights on his chest flash randomly and his tail lights flash. He is not absolutely authentic to the original plastic toy. He is made of marine grade plywood. He has two indepenently controlled gear motors that turn his wheels. Mr. Machine 3_4 cropped.jpgr. Machine rear cropped.jpg

The goggles with the mirrored lenses are my version of Chronicles of Riddic Goggles. I made the pattern and the mold and cast them out of synthetic rubber and cut the lenses from sunglasses. The goggles I am wearing in my stylized Avitar are my version of the Pirch Black goggles.

mirrored lenses cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great there mate! Nice clean work . Love the riddick glasses.

Show us the defiance weapon too!! Dont hold back on us.!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back