TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

To play devil's advocate for a moment, the ships on display would have to be replicas, because as far as we know all the ships in the movie are CGI. They don't have that limitation with the other props, so I don't know that it proves anything.

It's a safe bet these were made by the prop shop, but for display and not screen used.

It's no different than when the ILM prop dept made the Vader Tour suits. Same costume made from the same molds by the same guys, totally different that the screen used ROTJ suit.

It's a safe bet these were made by the prop shop, but for display and not screen used.

It's no different than when the ILM prop dept made the Vader Tour suits. Same costume made from the same molds by the same guys, totally different that the screen used ROTJ suit.

This is just speculation. There's no reason to assume this. I'm not saying it's impossible. But speculation like this has a way of catching on and becoming cannon, when there's no underlying proof to substantiate this claim.

Speculation or not ... I often wondered why the production team ordered for 7 G R A F L E X flashguns to be purchased ... this could well be one of the reasons ... they needed more for display purposes only and just a handful for production ... hero's and stunts that is. So if you'd ask me I think it's time now to set aside our speculations and just calmly wait and see what we'll get coming the first showings of STAR WARS The Force Awakens and perhaps even more important, prop-wise, accompanying making of books, exhibitions and online written reviews.

Chaim

TBH a lot of people disagree with me, but personally I'm sure that's the lightsaber Luke had in ANH. In ESB he had his new lightsaber and nothing was ever said about what happened to his old one.
I don't think it's the original hero prop they used in ANH (I think I heard somewhere that particular prop is in the hands of a private collector)

Last edited:

Of course it's not the Hero ANH lightsaber. It's one made for this movie. What we're arguing is if this one has on screen time or was made just for the exhibits.

Roman, I'm assuming you took some nice high res photos. Would you mind posting them?

Unfortunately, no. I'm not a big camera guy, and while I do have a pretty sweet camera on my phone... I'm not able to capture those details very well.
But I'm here one more night, and can give it a try. :thumbsup

TBH a lot of people disagree with me, but personally I'm sure that's the lightsaber Luke had in ANH. In ESB he had his new lightsaber and nothing was ever said about what happened to his old one.
I don't think it's the original hero prop they used in ANH (I think I heard somewhere that particular prop is in the hands of a private collector)

I recommend you visit this page for starters http://www.partsofsw.com/ click below on item, then go to lightsabers and read the descriptions for Luke ANH and Luke ESB lightsaber. And start reading this thread from post #1. Lukes lightsabers from ANH its supposed to be the same for ESB, but prop departments are usually never consistent and they decide to make changes. Just like George Lucas to his movies like a bazillion times.

Watching "The Legend of Bagger Vance" on TV ........ Graflex all up in this film.

Thanks to Roy for getting my ESB kit to me so quickly! One week is impressive for something transatlantic, especially with customs checking it out lol. Everything is there, and it looks good! I look forward to installing it!
IMG_1880.JPG

When it comes to the grips on this one, do we think it has the notches in the same place, and same size cut, as the ESB saber? I would assume it does.

It looks Iike an antenna of some sort in all the other promos. I'll bet its a way bad robot and or ILM are using to track each move of the actor on set so they can sync up whatever rotosctopting they need to do. Any automatic tracker making it easier than doing it frame by frame

When it comes to the grips on this one, do we think it has the notches in the same place, and same size cut, as the ESB saber? I would assume it does.

Don't assume anything when it comes to Finn's/Luke's lightsaber in TFA ... if you want it absolutely accurate wait until we have more pictures of the real props to compare :)

Chaim

Don't assume anything when it comes to Finn's/Luke's lightsaber in TFA ... if you want it absolutely accurate wait until we have more pictures of the real props to compare :)

Chaim

Isn't that simultaneously the best and worst thing about this hobby.

I worked as a prop master on the film called Easier With Practice. There is a very special, important phone in that movie. We had 6 of them. At the beginning they were all perfectly the same, by the end they looked totally different. We had a hero phone, but I know there are close ups where some of the stunt phones are visible. I can only imagine some crazy person wanting a replica of that phone. You would be hard pressed to figure out if I had sharpie'd out the logo or if it was one that had no logo to begin with, was that the broken antenna or the full size or the stubby knock off antenna? And without going into my storage and finding that phone I couldn't tell you what was right.

Isn't that simultaneously the best and worst thing about this hobby.

I worked as a prop master on the film called Easier With Practice. There is a very special, important phone in that movie. We had 6 of them. At the beginning they were all perfectly the same, by the end they looked totally different. We had a hero phone, but I know there are close ups where some of the stunt phones are visible. I can only imagine some crazy person wanting a replica of that phone. You would be hard pressed to figure out if I had sharpie'd out the logo or if it was one that had no logo to begin with, was that the broken antenna or the full size or the stubby knock off antenna? And without going into my storage and finding that phone I couldn't tell you what was right.

This is just what I'm thinking is the case. The demise of the "Hero" vs. "Stunt" concept. With cheaper, faster and better 3D scanning, printing and CG, there's no reason to have ONE prop for close ups and another for action scenes. That will require the hobby to do some changing... man, I hate change. :unsure

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back