TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Roman, that pic really picked up my whole day! Got a big smile from me.

I know we've only talked a handful of times here on the boards, but I feel like I kinda know you... I picture you rationalizing going there for several reasons... All while knowing there was one main reason... To see that clamp for yourself! :)

THAT is dedication folks!!!!

I was going to post a big write up on replica clamp vs metal veneer, Romans on-hand observation sure saved me a lot of typing.

Part of what I was going to say was that for a prop shop with all the tools and neat toys, making a clamp cover is probably a half-day job. Take measurements, enter dims, thin metal in the laser cutter/engraver and quick as you please you can knock out a handful in an afternoon no problem.

For me to make one at home it would be a ton of hard work. But for a well-funded, well-oiled prop shop I bet this would be easy as pie.

This "wrap"thing was bugging me, so I left Texas to see for myself... I can now confirm it IS wrapped. Very easy to see in person. :D

Yes. I have issues!! :lol :lol :lol

View attachment 559238

Was it wrapped with metal or plastic? Or could you tell? They could have used a lazer cutter or a vinyl plotter to cut it out. I think aligning it would be incredibly difficult to do.

Logically I would guess it's so they could get away with saying they used a vintage graflex while not having the branding on the clamp.

Why wouldn't they just use replica clamps or a single strip?

I would think if they wanted to keep original authenticity, they would've used a mylar strip, no?

Maybe they wanted the ANH no-strip look but without the Graflex branding? Buying an unmarked replica clamp would have made more sense, but if they were under some sort of "no replica parts" restriction...

The more baffling decision is why they milled the knurling off of the glass eye. I can't even come up with a hypothesis for that one.

Could be, if they really wanted to pay homage to all versions of the saber. If so, I don't think it's a very effective homage and I'd be more than happy if they hadn't bothered. :lol

My guess is that it's wear from set use (constant tightening and loosening to hold a blade maybe, done with pliers).

Why wouldn't they just use replica clamps or a single strip?

I would think if they wanted to keep original authenticity, they would've used a mylar strip, no?

At least for a parks replica without stamping it's freakin low quality and ugly, even the clamp tabs are misaligned, I got it from TCSS and if I remember right Tim told me he got them from Jeff.

Well they have to give us small changes to details for us to fret over and normal people to not even notice, it's all a part of the Disney media machine. I'm not at all surprised they changed a few things, they've done that for every Star Wars movie. I'm still not going to make one until I confirm that the movie doesn't suck and all of the details of the screen used version are revealed..... it might be a while.

In this thread in the Studio Scale section : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250836 it's mentioned that all the star ship models in that expo are replicas not real studio models used during production ... now with that conclusion in mind, could it be fair to suggest that the lightsabers used in Disney's STAR WARS Launch Bay Expo and other current exhibitions are probably not even screen-used either? :wacko

Chaim

In this thread in the Studio Scale section : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250836 it's mentioned that all the star ship models in that expo are replicas not real studio models used during production ... now with that conclusion in mind, could it be fair to suggest that the lightsabers used in Disney's STAR WARS Launch Bay Expo and other current exhibitions are probably not even screen-used either? :wacko

Chaim

I've been thinking the same thing because of the discrepancies between Han's DL-44's we been able to spot.

I pretty much just assume that any touring prop is a replica unless I know differently.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back