Bandai 1/48 a-wing

For folks looking at the whole scale question, here are two pics with each scale of x-wing!

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums...ng/a-wing/IMG_20170512_152202_zpsbgt8cdzl.jpg
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums...ng/a-wing/IMG_20170512_152316_zps9zazcpcx.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It sure looks more like 1/48th to me, or at the very least, it noticeably too large for 1/72 based on previous releases of the A-wing

Here is the old MPC one compared to the Fine Molds 1/48 X-wing. The MPC/AMT/ERTL one was generally considered to be 1/48 to 1/55 scale. The pilot figure that came with it was pretty much a 1/48 size pilot (forgive the crappy photos)

oMI4y5Y.jpg

4VNFZvj.jpg

and here it is with the MPC Tie Fighters which were generally considered around 1/51 (before the larger Tie size that FFG and Bandai use)

3D4nP9R.jpg

In 1/72 here is the Fine Molds X-Wing with the Fantastic Plastic A-Wing (forgive the horrible lighting)

I did some oil stuff. I kept it in the same world as the studio model. Which was pretty sloppy. SO I'm not sure how well this will pay off. After this dries, I'll put another topcoat on.

Then some pigments, and finally a flat topcoat to call it done.

BTW, I've never used a clear plastic canopy before. Is there anything I should keep in mind before putting it on? Windex or something? What glue should I use?

incidentally, I noticed that on the old archive pics, the black cockpit surround has some serious chipping. But it looks like someone painted it black between then and the later exhibits

P1210003.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard that dipping the canopy in future floor wax makes a big difference but honestly I have not tried it yet! ( will be in the next few days on my snowspeeder)

It's a Bandai kit! don't use gue!?

although PVA glue should work I would think!

Nice work with the oils!

I have heard that dipping the canopy in future floor wax makes a big difference but honestly I have not tried it yet! ( will be in the next few days on my snowspeeder)

It's a Bandai kit! don't use gue!?

although PVA glue should work I would think!

Nice work with the oils!

Thanks!

There are a couple of places where the oils look too much like Paint, but I will pull them back with pigments. I'm a big fan of the abtalung faded U.N. white. It comes off exactly like insignia white. So it's great to pull back weathering

I did some oil stuff. I kept it in the same world as the studio model. Which was pretty sloppy. SO I'm not sure how well this will pay off. After this dries, I'll put another topcoat on.

Then some pigments, and finally a flat topcoat to call it done.

BTW, I've never used a clear plastic canopy before. Is there anything I should keep in mind before putting it on? Windex or something? What glue should I use?

[url]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j387/ianalbright/modeling/a-wing/IMG_20170518_144657_zpsikx8sfds.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j387/ianalbright/modeling/a-wing/IMG_20170518_144710_zpsdulcqfm2.jpg[/URL]

incidentally, I noticed that on the old archive pics, the black cockpit surround has some serious chipping. But it looks like someone painted it black between then and the later exhibits
[url]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j387/ianalbright/modeling/a-wing/IMG_20170518_144831_zpsafs8alrd.jpg[/URL]
View attachment 729658

- - - Updated - - -

What book is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What book is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the best of the lucasfilm archive. IMHO, it has the best photographs. It doesn't have as many pictures as some other ones but they are bright and clear. They give a great representation of colour. But note that the labels are all wrong. It's amazing at how wrong they are.

I got that book back in 1995, way before I got into modelling and it has stuck with me. I love it. I think one of the reasons I had to change the scale of this ship is because of that book.

Dip it in FUTURE!

I always use regular cement for my "glass", but I'm probably the only one who does. Most use white glue (like Elmers).

Excellent weathering. I really like the staining effect of the white areas
Thanks,

I really try to use only the stuff that I see on the studio model. So I skipped spatter because there isn't any on the model

That being said, I'm not that happy with it. I might actually add spatter to mute the staining a bit. Maybe even brighten up the grey (which is still too grey)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back