Blade Runner 2049

Yeah, I really don't know why they went with the off the rack look. I'm sure clothing evolves along with time. Even though I bet Ford probably said "I want to be comfortable, can't I just wear jeans and a T-shirt" and some point, and they obliged. They could have at least skewed it a bit, slightly longer sleeves, different stitch pattern, alternative material, and still made it look dated...but future dated ;) It's like he drove up, walked onto set and they started filming. I guess it's a petty complaint, but it does clash with the whole "future" aspect of it being a period piece.

Yeah, I really don't know why they went with the off the rack look. I'm sure clothing evolves along with time. Even though I bet Ford probably said "I want to be comfortable, can't I just wear jeans and a T-shirt" and some point, and they obliged. They could have at least skewed it a bit, slightly longer sleeves, different stitch pattern, alternative material, and still made it look dated...but future dated ;) It's like he drove up, walked onto set and they started filming. I guess it's a petty complaint, but it does clash with the whole "future" aspect of it being a period piece.

Hey, the jeans and t-shirt look has been around since the 50s. What makes you think it'll go away in another 30 years, lol

As I was typing the comment, I was going to make a comparison to someone in Jeans and a T being dated, much like if they showed up in the Civil War. When I did the math, and realized the movie takes place only 32 years away, and back tracking 32 years from now was about 1985, the comparison really didn't make sense, so I deleted it. The Jeans and t look has been around for a while, and became more popular after WW2. I guess I'm just used to seeing it as an every day type wardrobe, and seeing it on someone who is supposed to be in the future just seems a bit out of place I guess. It's just a nit picky little thing. It definitely won't deter me from seeing it. Blade Runner is one of my all time favorite movies, so BR 2049 will be eagerly awaited.

Looked like it showcases a lot of environments from the book DADOES that were not shown in the movie adaptation BR !

Could be interesting .

Quite a few points I'd like to comment on:
Athough "Bladerunner" is a widely acknowledged classic now,it was anything but on its release. After Harrisons appearence in "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" the last thing most people though BR would be was a slow moving futuristic detective noir , and it got a huge amount of stick for that.
If the internet had been around then Ridley would got the same kind of respounce that he provoked with "Prometheus". I had one friend who really hated it and thought Philip K .Dick should disown it because of how unlike the novel it was , and another who was bored to death by the plodding nature of the plot and had expected it to be another like "Star Wars".
There were a just few of us who thought it was perhaps the most brilliant sci fi movie we'd ever seen. It got absolutely mauled by the British press reviews and Ridley got several shades of ***t kicked out of him for producing what was pretty much percieved as a failure. It certainly didn't do well at the box office but a bunch of us went to see it when ever it got rereleased on the arts circuit and it was the source of a lot of discussions over a pint (or two).
It certainly didn't rent that well when videos were made available.Infact one of my mates actually bought the stores only copy, because to quote the owner "You're the only guy that ever watches it."
So I'm kind of amused when HF starts talking about why he wanted to do another one. Harrsions "strong" dislike of his character, his direction by Ridley and the way the film was made and written in general was widely reported and there were some toe curling interviews where it was plainly obvious that he and Ridley were never ever going to make another film again because of the sheer antagonisim Ford held for Scott. He ****ing hated that movie and the director. He's comeback to it because its work that he would not have got otherwise and presumably he got a shedload of money..
And I guess the fact that it looks more like a sci fi actioner in the trailers is very intentional, but I don't think there is that much in there really, not incomparisson to alot of previews, I mean there is no mighty army of replicants going ape**** , or swarms of spinners dive bombing them, it all seems pretty much to focus on one or two people at a time. All Vileneuve can do actioners, just go watch "Sicario" if you don't believe me. It does look like Vileneuve has gone with that empty look that was in the original novel though, as if a disaster of off world migration has depopulated cities.
PS. The future doesn't change as much as you think. I'm in my fifties now, and as much as some things change, its not changed at the pace everybody thought it would. Infact, incomparisson to what alot of what sci fi predicted for us ,its hardly altered at all.

Quite a few points I'd like to comment on:
Athough "Bladerunner" is a widely acknowledged classic now,it was anything but on its release. After Harrisons appearence in "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" the last thing most people though BR would be was a slow moving futuristic detective noir , and it got a huge amount of stick for that.
If the internet had been around then Ridley would got the same kind of respounce that he provoked with "Prometheus". I had one friend who really hated it and thought Philip K .Dick should disown it because of how unlike the novel it was , and another who was bored to death by the plodding nature of the plot and had expected it to be another like "Star Wars".
There were a just few of us who thought it was perhaps the most brilliant sci fi movie we'd ever seen. It got absolutely mauled by the British press reviews and Ridley got several shades of ***t kicked out of him for producing what was pretty much percieved as a failure. It certainly didn't do well at the box office but a bunch of us went to see it when ever it got rereleased on the arts circuit and it was the source of a lot of discussions over a pint (or two).
It certainly didn't rent that well when videos were made available.Infact one of my mates actually bought the stores only copy, because to quote the owner "You're the only guy that ever watches it."
So I'm kind of amused when HF starts talking about why he wanted to do another one. Harrsions "strong" dislike of his character, his direction by Ridley and the way the film was made and written in general was widely reported and there were some toe curling interviews where it was plainly obvious that he and Ridley were never ever going to make another film again because of the sheer antagonisim Ford held for Scott. He ****ing hated that movie and the director. He's comeback to it because its work that he would not have got otherwise and presumably he got a shedload of money..
And I guess the fact that it looks more like a sci fi actioner in the trailers is very intentional, but I don't think there is that much in there really, not incomparisson to alot of previews, I mean there is no mighty army of replicants going ape**** , or swarms of spinners dive bombing them, it all seems pretty much to focus on one or two people at a time. All Vileneuve can do actioners, just go watch "Sicario" if you don't believe me. It does look like Vileneuve has gone with that empty look that was in the original novel though, as if a disaster of off world migration has depopulated cities.
PS. The future doesn't change as much as you think. I'm in my fifties now, and as much as some things change, its not changed at the pace everybody thought it would. Infact, incomparisson to what alot of what sci fi predicted for us ,its hardly altered at all.

Most thoughtful comment in this thread based on fact and not emotion or nostalgia.

Last edited:
Harrison Ford looks like he stopped by the set to do his lines on his way to Costco.

edit:

He ****ing hated that movie and the director. He's comeback to it because its work that he would not have got otherwise and presumably he got a shedload of money..

I seriously doubt he came back for the money. Harrison Ford "hated" Han Solo as well and only agreed to do TFA if they killed him off, I guarantee Deckard is going to go the same way. I'm just waiting for them to kill off Indy.

Last edited:
I thought that PKD wrote a lot of great stuff and that the BR universe would be a great door to walk through for more.
What exactly are they going to explore now with replicants again? I get having some but what themes are there to go to?
BR took it down to the very soul of what is existence, what makes us who we are. Perhaps better than anything before
or since. At least certainly elegantly. Do we need to do another dance on that?
I only see emancipation as the next step to move the story forward. To free these slaves once and for all from servitude.
Is someone illegally making more? Looked like the Tyrell building was dark.
Deckard walked the edge of right and wrong, of determining what was human and what was not and making a final judgement
of death, and in doing so he was becoming less human and more machine like. The title fit the character. In the end
he awakens and recovers his humanity again when Batty, considered a "machine" spares his life in an act of mercy and forgiveness.
So I assume we have another cop walking the same path decades later?
All I can think is new cop, doing same job, realizes the same things, seeks out Deckard as some kind of past
legend to help him with his confusion and realizes that he has to help replicants????
I dunno, trying to see what I think make sense to come back to Blade Runner again.

Go watch Bladerunner again,if you think about it in some ways that movie is like the start of something,the replicants are becoming human,the earth is either going to do something that means we have to leave or it's going to straight up die,the Bladerunners are judge,jury and executioner on something that may be a life form that's self aware so that may be having an effect that some humans are going to side with the replicants......

I could see it picking up thirty years later,things have developed further,maybe now this is going to kick off that something from the first movie in a big way.

Go watch Bladerunner again,if you think about it in some ways that movie is like the start of something,the replicants are becoming human,the earth is either going to do something that means we have to leave or it's going to straight up die,the Bladerunners are judge,jury and executioner on something that may be a life form that's self aware so that may be having an effect that some humans are going to side with the replicants......

This is how I'd always imagined the Clone Wars as a kid.
Hence why I was so let down by what we actually got...

I'm lucky with my views on Bladerunner cuz I only watched it in its entirety for the first time 2 years ago.

I went in knowing next to nothing, and now it's my favorite movie of all time. I'm very protective of it, and not sure what I think about this one being made at all.

I do have hope though... it would be great if this turned out a worth sequel

I'm lucky with my views on Bladerunner cuz I only watched it in its entirety for the first time 2 years ago.
Bravo but which cut with or without narration? I only own the final cut 'without narration' but want to revisit the theatrical original before seeing the sequel.

Bravo but which cut with or without narration? I only own the final cut 'without narration' but want to revisit the theatrical original before seeing the sequel.

First cut I watched had the narration... then I watched without... then the final cut.... then every documentary I could find.

I hated the narration, will never watch that version again.

One thing that strikes me as odd in the trailer, is Jared Leto's eyes.

In the original, the replicants were lit so that occasionally you'd see the reflection off their retinas. It was a subtle and interesting way to convey that there was something different or off about them. (As an aside, I don't remember seeing this effect even slightly on Deckard)

It looks like Leto plays a replicant, based on the eyes, possibly birthing a bunch of illicit siblings. But the eyes don't come off as that interesting in-camera effect as the original. More like he's got glaucoma.

Of course, for all I know, his character might have glaucoma...

Oh it is most certainly all about the Money, that and as you say the pleasure of seeing those Characters he has hated for years finally being killed off!

He was interviewed going to some premiere and he said he has a family he NEEDS, the money that and I bet Calista has something to say about it as well :lol

Harrison Ford looks like he stopped by the set to do his lines on his way to Costco.

edit:

I seriously doubt he came back for the money. Harrison Ford "hated" Han Solo as well and only agreed to do TFA if they killed him off, I guarantee Deckard is going to go the same way. I'm just waiting for them to kill off Indy.

One thing that strikes me as odd in the trailer, is Jared Leto's eyes.

In the original, the replicants were lit so that occasionally you'd see the reflection off their retinas. It was a subtle and interesting way to convey that there was something different or off about them. (As an aside, I don't remember seeing this effect even slightly on Deckard)

It looks like Leto plays a replicant, based on the eyes, possibly birthing a bunch of illicit siblings. But the eyes don't come off as that interesting in-camera effect as the original. More like he's got glaucoma.

Of course, for all I know, his character might have glaucoma...

I think he`s blind. There must be some special reason he hasnt had them "fixed" Surely Chew wasnt the only game in town.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back