R2-D2 WIP - Studio 49

As of yesterday I finally fished painting all the panels for my dome and I'm extremely happy with how they came out
I also worked out that what was causing my paint to dry matte was the heat we'e had late last week but once it cooled down I was able to bang out the rest of the panels with ease and they look awesome! I've taken some pictures of them trying to show how the paint looks but I honesty couldn't do them justice, the paint really does look amazing!

First of all some indoor photos:
12A_zpsfsujtnal.jpg

12B_zpsvjzd32o9.jpg

12C_zpsoctacrah.jpg

12D_zpsfsxa1woa.jpg

And then some outdoor photos since the direct sunlight really helped to show the colour that bit better:
12E_zps2m7ptfv3.jpg

12F_zpswcm7zo4u.jpg

12G_zpswtnhuert.jpg

12H_zps6ysccmog.jpg

13A_zpslzjryjr0.jpg

13B_zpswootpytc.jpg

My picture of my R2 in progress sitting in the workshop found it's way to some cool places these past few days and well lets just say this just happened... Adam Savage shared a photo of my workshop on Twitter and then Tested shared it on their Facebook page and uploaded it to their Website :D

Needless to say I'm really honoured, when I sent the the photo in (because why not) I didn't think anyone would take much note of it haha so I'm chuffed to bits right now and it honest to goodness was one of the highlights of my week being able to share my maker space/workshop from

While this may not seem like much to some Adam has been a long time role model I've looked up to notbjust for him being a positive down to earth person but as an aspiring maker his work has helped inspire me to keep trying to learn and improve :)

https://www.facebook.com/testedcom/posts/10154754215520791

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/57...estedcom-community/item/jonah-popes-workshop/

0Shot%202017-02-05%20at%202.04.08%20pm_zpsaheztowm.png

0Shot%202017-02-05%20at%202.19.32%20pm_zpsvkqif4xa.png

0Shot%202017-02-05%20at%202.11.52%20pm_zps0jnbmnnx.png

_470286190025993_6393843624499117169_o_zpsg0lbyzkc.jpg

Last edited:
Just read through this thread. Great job on your R2 so far. I'm curious what is to become of your 3D printed dome. Are you going to try and finish the smoothing process to see how close you can get it to your aluminum one? Maybe print more parts and finish it eventually?

By the way, this got me curious about printing large parts. Are there consumer printers available today that can do an object as large as the dome in one piece? And if not, is the only hinderance the physical limitation of the print bed/head-travel size? Like could someone take a printer made for smaller objects, and just ....bigify the travel mechanisms. Sorry to use a technical term like that. Or would the software need to be rewritten to handle that, etc.?

Anyways, very cool project. Wasn't the blue color on the originals determined to be metal marking dye or something like that?

Small update, started working on the legs in the last few days. Primarily I've been working on cleaning up the Aluminium (since this pair was a scratch and dent park at a reduced price I scored in R2 Builders Junkyard)

I've been doing mainly wet and dry sanding with my 800 Grit sand paper and it's worked a treat in knocking back some of the less attractive surface finishes/bumps which is easy to see in the pictures below. Below you'll see on the right is the Leg that I've been doing sanding on and on the left is untouched since receiving it so to say the least I'm very very happy with how it's coming along! (for those minor pock marks around the legs I'll be using some automotive filler for those, filler won't matter since these are going to be painted white in the end anyway)
I'm also expecting some small but awesome R2 Goodness in the mail, you'll hear more once I have them in hand ;)

4A_zpsratnfodz.jpg

4B_zps2ydwftwp.jpg

4C_zpsngb82bbu.jpg

4D_zpsfqst8wkg.jpg

The other day I also did a couple rough test fits with the lazy susan and dome (I didn't want to work the inner dome onto the dome ring just yet as I want to finalise the orientation of the the parts so I can mount my internals right first
But I have to say it was seriously satisfying to be able to "spin" the dome even it it was in a semi-built state!

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge milestone today, was able to done an alamos full mock up of one of my legs with the parts I've printed! Just a little chuffed I have to say
doppeldaumen1.gif

Ideally I want to eventually get Aluminium Ankles for R2 but for now I figured stuff it I'm going print one so I can at least know what I'm working with here and they're actually holding up a treat I must admit (I gave them a much sturdier infill to be sure). I still have to make the horse shoes that sit around the top of the leg (shoulder region) but I'll likely laser cut them from acrylic.

Nonetheless I'm really excited to be able to do a mock up like this!

5A_zpskdcq8umv.jpg

5B_zpsazhg8iuy.jpg

5C_zpswt9zf4gr.jpg

5D_zpsvw4wl8z8.jpg

5D_zpsvw4wl8z8.jpg

Another busy couple days cracking on with more sanding, filling and priming than you could poke a stick at!
I'm going to be real stick of sanding once I'm done with this project haha
But I'm making great progress so I'm happy (And yes these are all pretty much leg parts and that's not even all of them accounted for)

6C_zpsulemtrza.jpg

6A_zpsvwextwwh.jpg

6B_zpsgqpgiiag.jpg

I also have another huge and exciting bit of progress! I was able to pick up my sheets of 3mm Aluminium last weekend!
You can see the sheet below in the back of my car (there's some more smaller pieces beneath the top sheet) and these piece of 3mm Aluminium will be cut using a CNC Machine to help make a complete set of flat pack Aluminium foot shells (x1 Centre + x2 Outer) as well as some bits and pieces for the frame for when we're able to CNC the 6mm sheet of Aluminium that's on it's way!
7_zpsa0fevbuw.jpg

Attachments

• 6C_zpsulemtrza.jpg
    6C_zpsulemtrza.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 112
  • 6A_zpsvwextwwh.jpg
    6A_zpsvwextwwh.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 6B_zpsgqpgiiag.jpg
    6B_zpsgqpgiiag.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 7_zpsa0fevbuw.jpg
    7_zpsa0fevbuw.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Also while I'm at it this last week I received some more toys in the mail for R2! First of all I received my lighting kit for my dome and damn they're awesome! Nice and bright and nicely assembled (I just have one or two loose LED's to resolver but that's nothing I can't handle)
That's enough of my talk here's a video of this beautiful kit in action! (sorry in advance for the squeaky office chair)

I also received my set of skins snaps. Now these brilliant snaps will allow me to be able to take the skins on and off if I need to access hard to reach spaces for inside the frame for electronics, maintenance so on and so forth. It's a small piece of the puzzle, but it's a very helpful piece at that
3A_zpsmhnchxpo.jpg

3B_zps4ow44ejp.jpg

3C_zpsfop7k1bp.jpg

Attachments

• 3A_zpsmhnchxpo.jpg
    3A_zpsmhnchxpo.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 3B_zps4ow44ejp.jpg
    3B_zps4ow44ejp.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 3C_zpsfop7k1bp.jpg
    3C_zpsfop7k1bp.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 105
This evening I also spent an hour or so and powered through some base coats of colour so I can soon get started on proper top coats!

I know there's some dribbles and the like but's no issue since I plan to go in and do a nice tidy up before any top coats :)

8A_zpsaihob6k5.jpg

8B_zpss2mronip.jpg

8C_zpsotalbn5q.jpg

8D_zpsdwavwrip.jpg

Excellent job so far!
Those 3d printed ankles are some serious S***! I am super impressed that you were able to 3d print those massive things in a way that they're that sturdy!
I remember the day I got my first teeces kit. I started working on it after work the same day and got so obsessed with figuring it out and troubleshooting problems (I had never don any electronics before and I was scared to death) and basically stayed up ALL night soldering those LEDs. and when it all finally lit up and did it's thing I was so ecstatic.
Bravo, it's coming along beautifully and I can't wait to see more.

Thank you for the kind words fellas! Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to get the foot shells and the frame CNC Cut and then I can really get cracking with assembly!

Todays progress, I was able to to pretty well do a full mock up of almost all the parts I have so far
icon_smile1.gif

Next up is still more sanding + painting although I'm hoping come the end of next month I'll have the funds to place my order for my dome hinges which will be awesome! And will enable to me to make great progress in the actual assembly of the dome
doppeldaumen1.gif

4A_zpsovgkf4v4.jpg

4B_zpswp7lcefc.jpg

4C_zps2cc3z3h0.jpg

4D_zpstdipxkf2.jpg

4E_zpsn3jvn3af.jpg

4F_zpsnyeci9by.jpg

4G_zpskil0xiag.jpg

Looking great! I like your blue. Nice deep tone. You may have mentioned this already but what is your final goal? You mentioned dome hinges so I'm assuming you're doing more than just RC, lights, and sounds. Are you attempting 2-3-2?

Looking great! I like your blue. Nice deep tone. You may have mentioned this already but what is your final goal? You mentioned dome hinges so I'm assuming you're doing more than just RC, lights, and sounds. Are you attempting 2-3-2?

Thanks mate!
Yes you're correct I'm looking to do dome hinges, mainly since I'm building him to come on Hospital troops when I troop with the 501st at our Monthly Children's Hospital visit. So when I child isn't able to get out of bed I wanted the hinges in the dome so he can do his little song and dance where the hinges up in close with the Cantina theme so even though they weren't able to physically interact with him they still got an unforgettable moment and hopefully we can bring some joy to their day :)

As for other things, I'm not mad enough to attempt 2-3-2 for a few reasons, I'm not great at electronics and I'm a poor University/College student haha
I do want to do static hinges for the body, just enough that they have a small magnet an I can open them if need be

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back