The 12th Doctor's New Sonic Screwdriver

It's kind of a mix between classic and the 9th/10th. Definitely not as intense as the 11th's array of different sounds. It'll be interesting to see in the X-Mas episode what other sounds we might hear. I think with the introduction of the sonic "trough" that River is holding in various clips, screen grabs and promo material, and the dynamic between her and Capaldi's Doctor, we may see some humorous competitiveness between them involving what their respective sonic devices can do and as a result, are likely to hear more sounds from his.

But considering the prop itself seems to have been banged out in a matter of weeks for the finale (and the actual physical prop wasn't even completed when they shot those initial final scenes), I doubt they spent too much time on the sound - they probably just dropped in a previous sound byte or combination of them with filter(s) to get the sound we hear in the episode. It's bound to change and guaranteed to have additional sounds added to accompany its various capabilities. If I were forced to create a sound for it now to be as close to what we'll probably hear in the future, I'd go with a combination of classic and 9th/10th since Capaldi's Doctor is a bit of a throwback to earlier DW times all around.

Well I for one would be happy to hear it again! very sonic-y to my classic fan ears!

On the matter of the Sonic Trowel- where to begin... Why does everything have to be Sonic? why would a trowel need to emit sound? I think the writers have forgotten that the word "Sonic" actually has a meaning in the world of genuine science....

Actually, a sonic trowel make sense to me. Transferring a sound wave down a blade to make it vibrate and cut easier seems plausible to me. Even within the realm of our own technology. I actually work in ultrasonic electrical development, people are working ultrasonic cutting devices.

Actually, a sonic trowel make sense to me. Transferring a sound wave down a blade to make it vibrate and cut easier seems plausible to me. Even within the realm of our own technology. I actually work in ultrasonic electrical development, people are working ultrasonic cutting devices.

Reminds me of the Mach3 razor I use. It vibrates the blades to cut easier so they don't get caught in longer hairs - at least that's what it's supposed to do. Also, see electric toothbrush :)

And spelling correction from my previous post, not forever cemented in quote form and unable to be changed - trough = trowel lol.

I wouldn't mind-probably (;))- if they hadn't put sonic in front of so many other gadgets in the past. The sonic blaster was quite funny and they wrote it in well, and it sort've made sense as it did the same as the screwdriver and was a sonic canon which makes perfect use of the word "sonic", but seriously, a sonic Lorgnette that was basically an x-ray? what, does all tech in the future run off sonar? seems a little primitive, don't you think? AND ANOTHER THING! does it not seem odd that every one in the universe is capable of building a device that we assume was originally gallifreyan tech?

- - - Updated - - -

And spelling correction from my previous post, not forever cemented in quote form and unable to be changed - trough = trowel lol.
I'll change my post if you want to change yours!

I wouldn't mind-probably (;))- if they hadn't put sonic in front of so many other gadgets in the past. The sonic blaster was quite funny and they wrote it in well, and it sort've made sense as it did the same as the screwdriver and was a sonic canon which makes perfect use of the word "sonic", but seriously, a sonic Lorgnette that was basically an x-ray? what, does all tech in the future run off sonar? seems a little primitive, don't you think? AND ANOTHER THING! does it not seem odd that every one in the universe is capable of building a device that we assume was originally gallifreyan tech?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll change my post if you want to change yours!

It's okay, I've made my peace. Also, another spelling error in my very last post - not=now. I'm on a roll haha.

Anyone planning on making an illuminated stand for the sonic similar to the port that it is materialized inside of on the console?

Hi guys,

I like most of you have found the new design of the screwdriver to be very sleek and a good fit for the 12th Doctor. Like Doctor Octoroc, I have also done up a 3D render of the new sonic and I would like some opinions.

First here is a quick look at my take on the design.

12th Sonic 2.jpg

And from another angle

12th Sonic 3.jpg

Now, I know that there is some parts I'll need to redo but overall I think I came close to matching it.

Later

Oslm

Hi guys,

I like most of you have found the new design of the screwdriver to be very sleek and a good fit for the 12th Doctor. Like Doctor Octoroc, I have also done up a 3D render of the new sonic and I would like some opinions.

First here is a quick look at my take on the design.

View attachment 564253

And from another angle

View attachment 564254

Now, I know that there is some parts I'll need to redo but overall I think I came close to matching it.

Later

Oslm
It looks as if you based your model off of the concept art. It would probably be more accurate to use a screencap that shows how the actual props' proportions. It's entirely possible that you were going for that look, but just in case you wanted to do a SA version.

Damn, just finished creating a basic printable version of the screwdriver then saw this thread... wow you guys got the details damn good! I've uploaded my model to Thingiverse anyway, its a 1 piece with no tiny details so should be easily printable by anyone with their own 3d printer. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1187635 (it might need scaling, I had no idea the exact size so all the dimensions are based upon the length i thought it may be)

sonic1.JPG

It looks as if you based your model off of the concept art. It would probably be more accurate to use a screencap that shows how the actual props' proportions. It's entirely possible that you were going for that look, but just in case you wanted to do a SA version.

Beat me to it! Yeah, that's a good match to the concept art so essentially all the differences are the same as those between the screen used and the prototype. You can take a peak at my model if you like since I based it on screen grabs from the show and Capaldi's interview. Any suggestions I'd make here would just be in reference to my own model so that's the most sensible way for me to respond :lol

render02.JPG

And a size chart for reference:

comparisonChart.jpg

Hi Bluebox303, you are correct and that it is based on the concept art that was released. I only wish that there was some clearer images for the side clamps as I had to make quite a few guesses on those. When it comes to the other dimensions listed on the concept art, I think they didn't change them too much with the final version.

I have looked at Doctor Octoroc's screen capture version and I do see a few things I plan to add to my model. Can I ask you where did you find good images of the individual side clamp parts. I have looked at a few youtube vid's and I can't really get any good images.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Oslm

Hi Bluebox303, you are correct and that it is based on the concept art that was released. I only wish that there was some clearer images for the side clamps as I had to make quite a few guesses on those. When it comes to the other dimensions listed on the concept art, I think they didn't change them too much with the final version.

I have looked at Doctor Octoroc's screen capture version and I do see a few things I plan to add to my model. Can I ask you where did you find good images of the individual side clamp parts. I have looked at a few youtube vid's and I can't really get any good images.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Oslm

The most useful image was the one RT Replicas posted on their FB page. E Williams posted it earlier in the thread here:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=251357&page=3&p=3836591&viewfull=1#post3836591

It's the perfect angle to see the depth of things and how they all connect - then you can use the prototype artwork to approximate the shape of them in conjunction with the photo and other screen grabs.

deleted--- lol, following too many related threads... ;)

Attachments

• CT3uCQlWEAEr0Bu.jpg
    CT3uCQlWEAEr0Bu.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 162
  • CUh0XTbWoAAiyZ-.jpg
    CUh0XTbWoAAiyZ-.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Anyone planning on making an illuminated stand for the sonic similar to the port that it is materialized inside of on the console?

I'm working on a confession dial that will double as a stand for my sonic kit but if there's enough interest, I may create a second one based on the console 'port' that can have electronics implemented.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back