The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Hey fellas, here's another screen grab showing Gold Leader with the black streak on the nose.. Do we now agree the Nice-N Model Designs/ EFX paint mater reflects how the model appeared in the film? I have adjusted the color blue a bit on the cockpit and engines. Spent a week in the archives and nailed down the over all colors used I think.. yep even the green! LOL Wedge is looking sweet there! Hero of the Republic! DS1, Battle for Hoth, DS2... and not even a mention in TFA. Where is the love?

goldleaderstripe.JPG

Steve

Last edited:
Hey fellas, here's another screen grab showing Gold Leader with the black streak on the nose.. Do we now agree the Nice-N Model Designs/ EFX paint mater reflects how the model appeared in the film? I have adjusted the color blue a bit on the cockpit and engines. Spent a week in the archives and nailed down the over all colors used I think.. yep even the green! LOL Wedge is looking sweet there! Hero of the Republic! DS1, Battle for Hoth, DS2... and not even a mention in TFA. Where is the love?

View attachment 616962

Steve
Oh I guess LOL. Just so you know, your work on that Y was never in question. It's an incredible piece and something to aspire to with the amount of time and effort that went into identifying all those kit parts. It was just a matter of when the extra paint went on the original model for me. So I hope you did not take anything personally. It was definitely not meant that way. I'm just really passionate about the Y and specifically "Tie Killer"

None taken ... at all... my heart sank when I read I screwed something up and I pride myself in the details.. I want the finished piece to be as close as possible... I was afraid i was going to come off like a know it all but this made me go back and look at the reference of the TIE Killer before shooting, on film and the way it is now... I just wanted to share the confirmation and used the screen caps to match and called it good. I love the excitement towards the ol girl.. its like accessories for men.. You cant have just one!

As is typical for SketchUp models they are usually crap when it comes to 3D printing. Often they have been extracted from video game engines and have low polygon counts and are nowhere near watertight.

It might make a fair starting point for a digital sculpt but is going to take a lot of work.

I need to build a pilot for my Firefox project so don't mind getting at least a correctly posed/scaled figure worked out, what scale are the models 1/20?

I have found a pose-able model of Rebel pilot above with Luke's face. It doesn't take much effort to get it manifold for printing and I have mesh tools that can smooth and improve the look considerably.
Had a quick look for pics of the original pilot figures and came up blank but I am guessing they were quite rough and ready looking? Although that doesn't mean to say it can't be more accurate does it?

Jon

The model is 1/24 scale.

I am in favor of a more highly detailed accurate figure. I believe the Y wing pilots had a different helmet than the X-Wing pilots.

Dave, it looks like you are going down the y-wing/ movie accurate route. For those who are are wanting to create replicas of what was actually inside of the Y-wing cockpits, is there any info/pictures out there? I know the Ladd Y has a pilot, but do any of the others and what do they look like? There are some great photos of some of the x-wing pilots out there, granted it is way easier to view inside an x-wing cockpit. Ladd Y looks like the same pilot used in the x-wings.
SW_ANH-YWing10.jpg

Last edited:
That pilot figure actually looks like an RC race car driver figure that I recall seeing quite a bit at hobby stores in the 1970's. I used one for a scratchbuilt model that got me my first movie gig. Not sure where that model ended up, though...

Actually as I showed awhile back I'm going to do my Y as a 2 seater Fighter/Bomber. It looks like most of the original models had some form of cockpit interior and a pilot, although at least one, Red Jammer, did not. There's very little in the way of reference photos on the cockpit interiors.
It also looks like the pilot figures were the same modified race care driver that was used in the X-Wings.

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Dave, with your skills you can make yourself screen accurate and customized cockpits to be interchangeable. LOL! That way it satisfies both the anal retentive and adventurous sides of the SS model maker psyche.

Joe

Is HIPS printed as easy to sand as regular sheets or its cracking due to the fact it's been melted and layered?
Any specific temperature? I'm seriously looking for a printer and may crack for a Delta one for starting. :)

An
Yep! They will weld to the Saturn cans, laser cut acrylic, and any other plastic like crazy :)

I've not printed with HIPS but do want to try it. I can tell you that PLA which is pretty easy to print with can be "welded" with solvent cement as well. I've had great success glueing it to both styrene and acrylic with weld-on.

Update - Just ordered some HIPS - looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited:
I did try to work with some PLA and I did find it really not fun to sand.... And I love sanding. ;)
That's why I was waiting until HIPS hit the market before I consider it seriously.
Thanks Dave for sharing your experience and this project. I can't wait to receive your armature.

Hi Dave, thread just keeps getting better. I found this post today. Wondered if you have id'd the kit parts in the cockpit. This is the Efx cockpit. The one on the right is supposed to be the accurate one. Here is the link and the picture. You won't need too many IDs if you go the double seat route. I was thinking a back facing gunner would be cool, like in the Snow Speeder. Especially with that big gun on top.
Cheers,

Joe

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=430529&d=1422155626

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232439&page=2

Here's a pic of the rear facing idea .

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e5/82/5e/e5825eda8d1f106936db9dbe85d9707e.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of fantastic efforts by many people here.

I just paid for a set of the armature parts and nacelle cores and have asked to be put on the list for the "Forward (Cockpit) Fuselage and L'Eggs engine nacelle nose cones and tail shrouds".

Exciting times are ahead!

Hope all is going well with your cockpit design/ molding Dave!

Was hoping someone could answer what MOM was an acronym for when it came to the Y-Wing model that has previously toured around. And I think I read it was a screen used model, but it seems to be described as a special one. Is it some sort of combination of broken models from the film and was built afterward? Or is it not screen used and was created specifically to tour around? Just curious where this version of the Y is from.

Was also wondering if there is any good reference for the belly of Red Jammer anyone feels like sharing. I have found Star Wars Identities posts that provide great reference of most of this ship except the underside. I'm hoping to create some full parts maps for this that I would like to share for all. Been gathering lots of kit scans from here and Resin Illuminati. I can't get an account on studio scale modellers :( Been slow but steady reading threads and matching parts to discussions from here!

Hope all is going well with your cockpit design/ molding Dave!

Was hoping someone could answer what MOM was an acronym for when it came to the Y-Wing model that has previously toured around. And I think I read it was a screen used model, but it seems to be described as a special one. Is it some sort of combination of broken models from the film and was built afterward? Or is it not screen used and was created specifically to tour around? Just curious where this version of the Y is from.

Was also wondering if there is any good reference for the belly of Red Jammer anyone feels like sharing. I have found Star Wars Identities posts that provide great reference of most of this ship except the underside. I'm hoping to create some full parts maps for this that I would like to share for all. Been gathering lots of kit scans from here and Resin Illuminati. I can't get an account on studio scale modellers :( Been slow but steady reading threads and matching parts to discussions from here!

MOM= Magic of Myth tour I believe. I'm not sure if anyone has positively Id'd it in the film.

I feel like now that Dave has made it possible for many of us to start our own SS Y-wing that someone should start a thread and revisit doing some basic part maps. The problem is that all the old threads don't have photos anymore and it's impossible to follow. Maybe a community parts map with a couple of photos that everyone can add their 2 cents and knowledge. My problem is I know a bunch, but there is a lot I don't know. I'd be happy to start something like that if there's interest.

Last edited:
I had intended to start a parts map but to be honest, don't really have the time. If someone else were to start one that would be great! I would recommend doing so in a new thread, it'll be easier to find, both now and in the future.

I have a suggestion about the parts map(s), use common part numbers and kit numbers on different views. In other words if a particular part is labeled "15" to correspond with the Airfix Saturn V, that part should be labeled with the same number in every view. Another thing that would be nice would be for every part to have an individual part number, not just a kit number. that would make it easier to keep a list of which parts you have and which parts you don't. Or even better, a two part number, the first part being a number for a particular kit, the second being a unique number for each part from that kit. 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, etc. for parts from the Airfix Saturn V, 2.01, 2.02, 2.03, 2.04, etc. for parts from the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane, and so on.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Last edited:
MOM= Magic of Myth tour I believe. I'm not sure if anyone has positively Id'd it in the film.

I feel like now that Dave has made it possible for many of us to start our own SS Y-wing that someone should start a thread and revisit doing some basic part maps. The problem is that all the old threads don't have photos anymore and it's impossible to follow. Maybe a community parts map with a couple of photos that everyone can add their 2 cents and knowledge. My problem is I know a bunch, but there is a lot I don't know. I'd be happy to start something like that if there's interest.

Thank you for the answer :)

And I was thinking something along the same lines of creating a new thread. Even just one for the Red jammer (or whichever specific ship people wanted to start with) and try to finish one at a time or maybe split them into separate threads from that. I do think it would be confusing to have multiple birds in one thread since they all have slight variations on each other. I had considered starting a thread myself but didn't want to seem like some new guy dropping in to beg for kit part answers after seeing some of the hostility that existed in old Y wing threads. I can PM you my parts maps so far if you'd like but they are just my conclusions and may not be entirely correct.

I have a suggestion about the parts map(s), use common part numbers and kit numbers on different views. In other words if a particular part is labeled "15" to correspond with the Airfix Saturn V, that part should be labeled with the same number in every view. Another thing that would be nice would be for every part to have an individual part number, not just a kit number. that would make it easier to keep a list of which parts you have and which parts you don't. Or even better, a two part number, the first part being a number for a particular kit, the second being a unique number for each part from that kit. 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, etc. for parts from the Airfix Saturn V, 2.01, 2.02, 2.03, 2.04, etc. for parts from the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane, and so on.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I have done my best to write down kit part numbers when ID'ing parts from the Y-Wing. It can be frustrating or unclear to know parts come from a kit but have no clue what part it may be. That's how I felt about a Tie Bomber part from my Hawker Harrier kit. Spent 30 minutes trying to figure out which part I think I needed! I also enjoy the colored parts maps that use color ID's to decide everything. They are very clear and neat to me personally.

Last edited:
The photos of Alan Ladd's Y Wing are a good starting point as they are high res and in-focus(!). there just aren't any shots of the underside.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back