The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

I really like this filler primer from Rustoleum

The only thing is you really have to wait 24 hours before wet sanding, not the 2 to 4 as it says on the can. Otherwise the sand paper tends to gum up.

I'm trying to understand what I need to upload for shapeways to make parts for me, but can't figure it out. The fuselage and neck files contain numerous files. Do they get added together to make a single part? If so, do I need to give any directions to get them to assemble correctly? Sorry, but I'm a real noob when it comes to 3D files. Any help is appreciated.

I just uploaded a few files to shapeways. I think I get it now. Each file is a separate part, eh?

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand what I need to upload for shapeways to make parts for me, but can't figure it out. The fuselage and neck files contain numerous files. Do they get added together to make a single part? If so, do I need to give any directions to get them to assemble correctly? Sorry, but I'm a real noob when it comes to 3D files. Any help is appreciated.

Also, are they in inches like your drawings of the armature?
Hey Scott,
I unzipped the files so they create a new folder. Then each STL file needs to each be uploaded individually to shapeways. For example the neck has, I believe 5 or 6 individual files/parts and so does the main fuselage. 1 file = 1 part. I think after I uploaded all the files and the mounting block it came to around 14 parts total. You know you got it right when you see the part previewed and then you can select the material. If you don't select a recognized file, it takes you back to the Shapeways home screen. At least this is the way I did it. There may be an easier way. Hope this makes sense and helps.
Mike

No worries, yes, each is uploaded as an individual part. Make sure you check the "Inches" box on the upload, or else the parts with be 1/25 the size they need to be! You can also double check the dimensions listed for the part after it uploads.

Just an FYI, to have Shapeways print all the parts that Dave has made available so far is roughly $250 if you use the strong and flexible material.

I have been finding lots of source images for the Y-Wing models the past week or so (mainly image dumps from Identities). And I understand that there are multiple Y's with different names (Gold Leader, Red Jammer, etc.) but was wondering if anyone could clarify which is which or direct me to a site or thread explaining that. Thanks for any info!

Oh and I received my armature parts in the mail today. They look amazing and I'm looking forward to putting them all together and getting started on building myself a Y-Wing :)

Jason (MoffEaton) posted these many moons ago. I suspect I'm missing one or more.

Attachments

• 388500298.jpg
    388500298.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 388500307.jpg
    388500307.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 388691611.jpg
    388691611.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 339
Just to clarify I would never use Comic Sans so it probably wasn't me :lol

BUT these are pics of the eight you will hear talked about (in no order):

Bill George Y-wing. Made by Bill when he was a young fan, not yet hired by ILM, then "drafted into service" during ROTJ when they needed more Ys. Now living at the Archives and technically Canon. Proportions are unique, and the R5 is the biggest landmark:
george.jpg

"TIE Killer" or Gold Leader. This is a Hero ANH Y, in private hands now, and I suspect it has been painted "post filming" in a few areas. I may be in the minority on that one, but I don't think the green is screen-seen (and it's sloppy as heck). Every one is real skittish about this one, which leads me to believe the owner is paranoid about the provenance of how or why it is in private hands now.
tiekiller.jpg

The Alan Ladd Jr Y, hero ANH, given to Laddy after the film wrapped and later sold to the owner of Prop Store, who I assume will be buried with it. I know I would! A GORGEOUS example of the original wave of Y-Wings, and it has a pilot!
laddy.jpg

Colin Cantwell's Y-Wing Prototype. This pic has guns and a canopy that seem to be a design that was laster changed, as it does not look like this now. Also still in the LFL Archives.
cantwell.jpg

Ugly terrible crappy "pyros" or deep background Ys. They are on "sticks" permanently, they are painted crudely, they are beat to hell, and they live at the Archives as well.
pyro.jpg

Red Leader, or "Red Jammer". This is the first Y-Wing built incompletely and shipped to Elstree with the Blue 1 X-Wing for use by the set designers to make the 1:1 set pieces. It was returned to ILM and finished (uniquely) at some point, but did NOT see screen time (unlike it's companion which became Red 2 and was filmed), It lives at the Archives and I think is the only Y with styrene engines.
red.jpg

"Blue R2 with Red Stripe" Y-Wing. The only Hero screen used ANH era Y that is still in the Archives. This one toured and was the first one I saw at the Smithsonian in the 1990s. It was also on tour when I was doing the reference at the Archives for MR, so this one is a show pony!
motm-revised.jpg

Triangles. My white whale. I recently scored high res four-ways of this one, and I have a back shot too, so I can now say we have nailed the paint work on this puppy, and all the decals on the underside. She was a pyro, she was wonky and her neck drooped, and she blew up. Shuffled off this mortal coil. An ex-parrot.
triangkes.jpg

Attachments

• bluered.jpg
    bluered.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:

Thanks for the overview Jason. I don't know which one to build. My memories are of a yellow striped Y-Wing so would want to build one of those. I also want it to be a screen used "hero model". So i think my choices are Gold Leader or Triangles. Ref-wise, what is my best option? When it comes to replicating all the detail, which of these two has the best ref?

Don't forget, if you want an accurate replica of a "screen used hero model" you'll have to break off a bunch of small parts after it's finished and glue them back on with big sloppy globs of super glue! (Some in the wrong place.) :lol

Hahaha i know i know. Can never bring myself to do that. I idealized my AT-ST as well. No glue blobs and everything nice and squared.

Last edited:
For reference I keep going back to the set of photos of the Alan Ladd Y-Wing (Gold 2?), even though there are no shots of the bottom, the photos are well lit, hi rez, in focus (!) and the set is pretty comprehensive.

For reference I keep going back to the set of photos of the Alan Ladd Y-Wing (Gold 2?), even though there are no shots of the bottom, the photos are well lit, hi rez, in focus (!) and the set is pretty comprehensive.

Ok. I usually find Gold Leader pics because that is the one that's on tour usually. Right? Identities Tour for instance. Where might I find the Alan Ladd sets online?

Just to clarify I would never use Comic Sans so it probably wasn't me :lol

BUT these are pics of the eight you will hear talked about (in no order):

"TIE Killer" or Gold Leader. This is a Hero ANH Y, in private hands now, and I suspect it has been painted "post filming" in a few areas. I may be in the minority on that one, but I don't think the green is screen-seen (and it's sloppy as heck). Every one is real skittish about this one, which leads me to believe the owner is paranoid about the provenance of how or why it is in private hands now.
View attachment 615806
I agree on the post production repaint on Tie Killer. I said the same thing and posted some comparison photos and hi-lighted the differences on one of the EFX/Niesen threads and there was a resounding silence. I thought I was the only one. I like the before version much better. I don't like the giant streak down the nose and the green panels. IMO.
Variations.jpg

Just wondering, but Is the MOM Y-wing not considered one of the original? The one with all the funky pipe work and that has all the 360 rotation on the bluray discs?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's original too :)

I just like the Ladd one more as it was in the Art of Star Wars book I used to stare at as a kid, and was "missing" until relatively recently.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back