The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

This is a stunning thread. Fantastic work, Dave!

Dammit, now I HAVE to figure out how to get my M2 to print ABS, haha. Stuff just won't go through the hot end at any temp setting, and usually jams hopelessly.

The vintage Leggs Eggs that I bought on Ebay were all warped, a bit on the oval side, not round. Not really grounds to return them to the seller!

IMG_1551.jpg

The solution was to mill a piece of 1/4" plexiglas with a round hole that perfectly fit the flanged lip of the Egg, forcing it into round.

IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1577.jpg

Then I popped it into a hot water bath using my Sous Vide cooker. About 3 minutes @ 190 degrees. (135 degrees makes for a perfect medium rare steak!)

IMG_1566.jpg

Voila! Rond! C'est magnifique!

IMG_1568.jpg

Last edited:
Martyn, threads like this make me so happy that you helped steer me towards Rhino!

Awesome! :thumbsup The learning curve is crazy-steep - I've still got a lot to learn, ten years in. But when it starts to come together with your first worthwhile results, nothing can beat earning that feeling.

The solution was to mill a piece of 1/4" plexiglas with a round hole that perfectly fit the flanged lip of the Egg, forcing it into round.

Looks good. I neglected to add my thanks to the chorus for putting these files out there - thanks, man, it's very very good of you. Always wanted to build Triangles - this will do nicely!

Does anyone know if the shells from the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V Skylab version will work for the Y? I know they might not be an exact match but are they more or less the same?

The Lem shrouds have been retooled, so yes for the engines and no for the engines ;)

(ie - big engine bits should work, the cones at the nozzles are off)

A small update to the files... Last week I received some new reference photos and determined that my model of the sloped block on the front neck fuselage section was pretty far off. There is an updated version of the part here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwDa06cjX-frLVZzOVhMcGJlcjQ

The folder contains Rhino, .dxf and .stl versions of the part. I'm not going to update the master model until there are a few more additions.

Happy modeling!

Working with the Leggs Eggs. First step was to machine another plex piece, a ring this time, and permanently glue the shell to the ring with solvent cement.

IMG_1571.jpg

Then I filled the shell completely with Bondo flush to the back to make a solid plug.

IMG_1572.jpg

After the Bondo had fully cured the piece was chucked up on the lathe and the Egg trimmed to the correct length and a shoulder cut.

IMG_1577.jpg IMG_1580.jpg

Then parted off. The shoulder fits the inside diameter of the 3D printed Nacelle Core. The next step will be to add the styrene plating, then make a mold and roto cast the final parts.

IMG_1582.jpg

For the shroud around the tail vanes another shell was glued to a ring and chucked up on the lathe. This one was hollow, no Bondo filler.

IMG_1585.jpg

The shell was trimmed and cut to the proper size. The 30 year old plastic is really brittle! Next will be to add the plating and the brackets that attach to the T Rails, then mold and cast.

IMG_1587.jpg IMG_1588.jpg IMG_1589.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah a lathe would be most welcome here as well,...the price of a mini lathe isn't that steep but damn all the bits and pieces to make it run are almost 1/3rd of the price of the lathe itself.
Any thoughts and advise on buying an affordable good hobby lathe guys?

This project is still going to require a lot of hands on skills to finish. There won't be a complete kit of parts for the Y ready to print and assemble. Most of the surface details will have to be done the old fashioned way, with kit parts, or castings of kit parts or scratch built. But at least all t these 3D printed parts will give myself, and anyone else that wants to tackle building it, a leg up, or at least the encouragement to start.

Hi!
This is the way I can participate now.
As I said in a swap post:

I don't have any of the 'super rare' kits, but I guess every bit helps!

I´ll send castings, for free. as long as they don't 'abuse' the gesture, and realise that I don't have all the time in the world, and I'll send them out atthe cheapest postage cost I can find. I dont have yet a lot of moulds, so, It can take to me some time to do the mold, and to send the casting, I can´t do big pieces, ( and of course, I dont copy a complete kit)
I can offer:

Kits I have:

AMT 1/25 Kenworth
Hasegawa 1/72 Mörser Karl
Tamiya 1/35 20 mm Flak 38 #35091
Tamiya 1/35 20 mm Flak 38 #35102
Airfix 00 Harrow
Tamiya 1/35 KV I Type C #35066
Tamiya 1/35 Tiger I #35056
Tamiya 1/35 Gulaschkanone MM203 (incomplete)
Tamiya 1/35 88 mm Flak MM117
Bandai 1/48 Schimmwagen
Bandai 1/48 Hetzer
Bandai 1/48 Panther
Hasegawa 1/72 Sherman
Tamiya 1/700 Shinano #7724**950 (only some small parts )

I know, There are only a few and common kits, but is what I have.Hopefully, the list will engrosse.

Cheers . Luis.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I will be doing a limited run of custom castings and making them available for sale to cover the 3D printing and molding costs. These will include the forward fuselage and canopy, the egg engine nose cones with plating and the egg tail shrouds complete with the strut attachment brackets. The forward fuselage will not have any of the additional styrene plating bits as they varied from model to model. That way it can be used to recreate any of the ships. I'll post more info in the Junkyard when ready.

I'm gonna build my own Red Jammer so that I get the ILM experience (sans deadlines) but will still buy a set for a future Gold Leader.

Joe

I've added a link to the Google Drive repository to the very first post in the thread so it is easy to find.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back