Independence Day: Resurgence

I'm pretty upset we won't see Marty...
id_marty.jpg

Wild guess -- Smith's absence was probably a combination of things. Maybe he wouldn't budge on $50 mil because he was lukewarm on doing it again and/or the script wasn't anything amazing.

I would have liked to see Will Smith come back if his character had evolved. Last time he was acting very 25yo. I imagine if he had come back 20 years older he would have grown up a notch. Do we expect Tom Cruise to do a 50yo Maverick in Top Gun 2 and he hasn't changed a bit? Still singing to random women in bars, middle-fingering enemy pilots, and everything? The 50yo Pete Mitchell will probably be a mix of Maverick & Ethan Hunt.

I'm surprised if the producers actually killed Smith's character. They probably felt they had to explain his absence in some kind of pretty severe way because the character would never have sat this one out.

But what are they gonna do if this movie surprises us, makes a ton of money, and then Smith wants in on the inevitable 3rd one coming in 2018? They wont let a little thing like an offscreen death get in the way. If the producers had 3 brain cells to rub together then Smith's offscreen death will be done in some way that leaves an opening. Maybe he will be MIA over foreign airspace during a combat mission 4 years ago or something, and only presumed dead.

As for this ID4 sequel, it seems utterly unnecessary on all fronts. The alien invasion concept won't get better with bigger ships and more zillions of fighters in the frame. The old characters were cute but nothing really memorable IMO. The whole fun of the last one was mostly the way it was put together, and that's the hardest thing to recapture. Having all the right parts on the workbench isn't enough.

The movie's producers have already spent the entire intervening 20 years trying to recapture ID4 in one movie or another. They never weren't trying to do this. You can find nice Blu-Ray copies of that stuff in the $5 bin at Walmart.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but they showed what looked like a capture from a clip in the movie where it says Smith's character died testing the new alien hybrid fighter when it malfunctioned.

Smith may be in the movie, and they're just saying he's dead to throw everyone off. What if Smith's character died, his body was taken by the aliens, modified and he comes back to help destroy the earth as the Fresh Locutus of Bel Air????

Smith may be in the movie, and they're just saying he's dead to throw everyone off. What if Smith's character died, his body was taken by the aliens, modified and he comes back to help destroy the earth as the Fresh Locutus of Bel Air????
ROTFLMAO....:lol:lol:lol

Serious as in Suicide Squad serious or above sequels as in Bad Boys 3 and 4?

He'd be a fool to deny that ID4 wasn't one of the blockbuster films that furthered his action movie career. Unless he read the script and saw it as the big budget, special effects turd it probably will be, he should hardly diss his legacy. :)

Oh man, I didn't even think of that possibility. That just blew my mind right now.....the script could legitimately be a giant turd sandwich.

Well, no. Smith isn't in the movie because he wanted $50 milllion dollars and the studio said no.

Smith would rather take crappy looking stuff like Suicide Squad instead of something that could make him a ton of money. As much as I like Goldblum even if he's in the entire movie i don't seem him carrying the film himself. Can we get Harry Connick Jr back from the dead somehow? lol. I hate to tell Will Smith but when a studio says no to you that means you're career is probably not doing well. He use to be big box office but he and his freako kids seem to have hurt his reputation.
Cast photo including Brent, I cropped it as much as a can to keep something out of the background that might have been a spoiler.
independence-day-2-resurgence-cast-image.jpg

Last edited:
lol. I hate to tell Will Smith but when a studio says no to you that means you're career is probably not doing well. He use to be big box office but he and his freako kids seem to have hurt his reputation.

I used to like will smith before he started to shove his kids down our throats. that karate kid movie was feigbusters pre cursor. best never to be mentioned again.
not entirely unhappy the studio apparently told him no for the sequel....but I agree... I don't think goldblum has the....charisma...to carry a film on his own.

aliens come back, one big bomb: peace

movie over, wats next?

ps, didnt like part one. the only scene that made me laugh was Randy Quaid almost falling out of his stearman. his son telling him he dusted the wrong field and Quaids response: are you sure?

If you look at the trailer its just the same movie as the first one, with the volume turned up to 11. At least the first one had visuals you had never seen before.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back