The Martian Space Suit

Also the arm computer is not present, makes me wonder what they used for the computer, if there was an actual prop computer ie android or raspberry pi or something similar, or if there was a chroma green insert, or both, depending on the scene.

I think we are on track with that one. I would bet the computer was a phone based off of the photos. The case definitely looks 3d printed, and if they were trying to green screen the whole thing, then it would just have a surface and the reference marks on it. It has a compartment to fit something in it though. I suppose they could just stick a glass screen with reference marks in there, but not sure why it wouldn't be on display if that were the case.

I've made a few updates since pg.3:

martian%20hardware_1.jpg

I'll be adding another section for all the armor pieces, but help me out. What else should be on here?

ahhhh @Soulinertia, thank you so much for the updated graphic! I was just going crazy flipping back and forth between pages in this thread.

Also, question: Did you get *all* of your buckles (besides the orange anodized one), including the tri-glides, from the AustriAlpin North American site?

Their website is a giant pain in the ass and I was thinking of ordering a few from another site only because they're easier to identify with picture and model number.

Of course, it would be nice to order as many as possible from just *one* place.

Last edited:
A dead on photo of the side of the wrist computer would help. I can guess the general shapes. But a really high res one would be great in nailing all the little details.

The top from one of the trailers worked perfect.

Would one of the kind folks who bought a buckle mind giving me measurements of the length and height? I'm going to try to "reverse-engineer" the measurements of the suit. I could probably use Matt Damon's height if I had to but, I think using the buckles would be a lot more accurate.

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 1.47.38 PM.png
A dead on photo of the side of the wrist computer would help. I can guess the general shapes. But a really high res one would be great in nailing all the little details.

The top from one of the trailers worked perfect.

Here's a screen cap from one of the photos I took of the suite this weekend. iPhone 6 for scale. When I looked at it for depth, it looks like held an iPhone 5-sized screen
I'll be posting a DropBox link with photos and video for download tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 1.42.48 PM.png

Last edited:
This is perfect! I can scale the model I have to fit this.

Here is both computer references I have. From the UnderArmor ad and ACalamity's photo.
BOTH_cOMPS.jpg

Side view first go at.

Side.jpg

I need a bit more reference on the narrow sides of the comp. But I was able to estimate a lot of things with the ACalamity' two photos.

Angle.jpg

Here's a screen cap from one of the photos I took of the suite this weekend. iPhone 6 for scale. When I looked at it for depth, it looks like held an iPhone 5-sized screen.
I'll be posting a DropBox link with photos and video for download tomorrow.

View attachment 534039

Last edited:
I've just received a physical catalog from Austrialpin but it seems to be identical if not lack a little info compared to the PDF available. They did refer me to a vendor of their buckles for placing orders within Europe I'll see if I can find that mail again.

Photos of the suit:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyrutupgdtryavp/AAAemTbl8NfGfe920QpdZtyNa?dl=0

Videos of the suit:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hzhq91ppsun4vjz/AAAt_8FVQiVMUlfy0XwyJylYa?dl=0

The case is about 32" in width and depth, about 7' tall. The suit stands about 12" back in the case, and its platform is about 4" off the ground. The fellow in the photos for scale stands at about 5'11" in his shoes. I also included the replica helmet that's being used in a contest. Hope this helps!

**Edit: Added how tall the suit stands on its platform.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back