The Martian Space Suit

It looks like the collar ring is not sealed in the front, so doubt it will keep the dust out. I think it might be something that is used to keep the helmet stable and the weight of it off the actors neck. Without it there, if they tilt their head to either side, it will probably make the whole helmet wobble more than it should.

I thought the same thing but in the behind the scenes video there appears to be some kind of webbing across the front portion of the ring, It stretches when he slides the ring over his head. In the photo you can see it at the top of the ring if you look closely, Matt turns the ring around 180 degrees then puts it on.

What about getting a regular green or black one and blessing/dyeing it grey?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I've thought about doing that. Or just getting a set of Sage Green and going with the wrong clor but still "close enough" but:

I think what I'm gonna do is find a soft shell jacket that has the zipped slash pockets and sew on the patches and use it as a regular jacket rather than a flightsuit.

I actually really like this idea. I could make it more of an every day wear if I do this. Anyone know where to get jackets that looks close enough?

Soulinertia Where did you end up finding those anodized orange buckles? austrialpin.net does not keep them in stock, and would require an order of 500 pieces to get them.
Otherwise anyone want to split an order of 500 of each size anodized orange buckles? That's 5 each for 100 of us...

I actually really like the idea of making a flight jacket out of the patches, that would be fun as well. Might have to do that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm diggin' the flight jacket idea as well.

I colored the triglides orange myself. They aren't actually anodized.

However, the 28mm orange buckle I have is actually anodized orange and I picked that up from an ebay seller in the UK that goes by "contactleft". I believe he still has plenty in stock.

It's done for now until the film is released and we get more reference.
Helmet-03.JPGHelmet-02.JPGHelmet-01.JPGHelmet.JPGHelmet-04.JPG

Yeah, I found the 28mm one. I ordered two, to be safe. I am still figuring out quantities of how many I want for the rest of the parts.

Those orange ones you made were pretty awesome. I am impressed, it looks really even, is it some sort of dye? They compare pretty well to the anodized one?

Speaking of parts, I was looking back through the thread and that sling you got looks like a perfect match. Where did you manage to get it?

You definitely have put a huge amount of work in finding all of these parts. Thanks a bunch for all your effort.

The behind video also shows that the two boxy things on the side of the helmet are indeed flashlights (3:17)
Still don't know if they're something else that was repurposed to light up or just modified flashlights. In the book, I don't think there are flashlights on the suits at all- Watney mentions that there are flashlights stashed all in case of power failure. Obviously not a movie-breaking jump :p just thought it was interesting.

Go go go!
Someone please go and get lots of photos!

What are the bits we need to know more about?

The movie was shown here yesterday,. in 2d,. I want 3d and Atmos so I am waiting.. They did see it on the ISS though :)

Captain Aprill will you be sharing your model? I was looking at the exploded view and I started thinking of how to make it with foam-pep,.

Go go go!
Someone please go and get lots of photos!

What are the bits we need to know more about?

The movie was shown here yesterday,. in 2d,. I want 3d and Atmos so I am waiting.. They did see it on the ISS though :)

Captain Aprill will you be sharing your model? I was looking at the exploded view and I started thinking of how to make it with foam-pep,.

1) we need more pics of the gloves to figure out the pair they used as a base
2) we need more close ups of the boots
3) we need extremely close up shots of the nautical buckles since they're custom plated
4) we need more shots of the circuitry on the legs

Great list WBE

And maybe some more of the backpack
And warning labels on the front of the suit and allover

So who here can get to Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles? I'll paypal a $5 for some expense if someone gets some good pics :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back