ROTJ Vader hilt and buyer's remorse (sorta)

Here's more pictures...

14192552_10207839868170472_1686843164361219991_n.jpg
14199229_10207839868490480_4915850561984913722_n.jpg
14199636_10207839867810463_5995572390974472114_n.jpg
14212584_10207839868050469_206594004105884113_n.jpg
14263966_10207839867930466_7245748106758294116_n.jpg
14264077_10207839868730486_5865621888875191206_n.jpg
14292509_10207839869210498_675548706118497329_n.jpg

I remember years ago (many, many years ago) there was some talk that the real saber may have been painted or covered in chrome tape, similar to the Luke/Ben shared stunt after ROTJ.

This theory was mostly based on the photo of the saber from the 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones' book. Looking at the finish on the saber in that book it does not look like a regular Graflex finish. Way too shiny. Because of the chrome tape on the Luke/Ben saber post-ROTJ this was the more popular theory, but buffing paint was also talked about.

Personally I could easily see either. The finish does not look like nickel plated brass.

I'm not entirely sure I'll be happy using chrome tape though, even if one of them was actually that way. If this thing turns out to actually be authentic, I think it would be a huge disservice to just paint or tape over it

You should just put it back together as it stands and display it with a burnt Vader mask. Would look cool, and who knows what Vader's saber looks like as of TFA. According to Star Wars: Aftermath it is still in circulation.

You should just put it back together as it stands and display it with a burnt Vader mask. Would look cool, and who knows what Vader's saber looks like as of TFA. According to Star Wars: Aftermath it is still in circulation.

That's actually a valid point I didn't even consider.

I was planning to put it back together regardless, just don't like *not* knowing if it's a legit graflex top or just a replica.

If it makes you feel better, Star Wars itself used chrome spray paint on all these sabers. (covering up rust/lack of plating, dulling down the nickel so it doesn't reflect light at the camera, etc.)
Luke_hand.jpgflex1-vi.jpgLFA_Shared StuntPommelEnd.jpg

and I'm 75% sure theres silver paint on this, the emitter is raw aluminum and the grip has paint rubbed off.
tumblr_lhar5la5Cf1qedqfdo1_400.jpg

If it makes you feel better, Star Wars itself used chrome spray paint on all these sabers. (covering up rust/lack of plating, dulling down the nickel so it doesn't reflect light at the camera, etc.)
View attachment 662551View attachment 662552View attachment 662553

and I'm 75% sure theres silver paint on this, the emitter is raw aluminum and the grip has paint rubbed off.
View attachment 662554

I hear ya. I don't doubt any of that either. I guess I like to preserve original pieces as best as possible due to scarcity?

oh of course :) I thought that would ease your mind since the brass is already showing :lol

I mean, re-painting is easy enough. Having all the parts I need to replace the ones I removed, really, would all but take about an hour's worth of work (or less). I've considered the chrome tape due to not wanting it to tarnish or dull out from handling.

I mean, re-painting is easy enough. Having all the parts I need to replace the ones I removed, really, would all but take about an hour's worth of work (or less). I've considered the chrome tape due to not wanting it to tarnish or dull out from handling.

That definitely worked for the Shared Stunt (pic 3) and successfully too, I think they did that FOR rotj filming

Black Flat Head Socket Cap Screws 1/4-20 x 1/2" - That's what I found them listed as...

As for the latch... not sure. It's british... and I MAY have an extra I can check for when back home.

So I got one at a hardware store to check for sizing. If you'resize is correct than he made these holes too large

Theres a lot of sellers out there who think just because it isxa graflex part it worth a fourtune. Id be angry about that as well. Id give it a go if I were you and repaint with a metallic silver over black. Most of the metallic paints i used end up looking like aluminum anyway. You could try rubb n buff.

Think I'm just gonna re-finish this and throw new bolts in and call it a day. The "accurate" size flat-heads are too small for the holes they put in this so I'm kinda screwed on that end now.

Just would like to flip it now. I'm kinda over it

Crappy man.

I had no luck finding a spare latch, so can't help you there.how much space around the screws when you put them in the holes? pics?

Crappy man.

I had no luck finding a spare latch, so can't help you there.how much space around the screws when you put them in the holes? pics?

So I forgot to get a pic last night. The proper size head may be able to work if I try adding some magic-sculpt to it. It's not so far off as I initially though, but it could work out if I can fill it in and smooth it all over. It's not like I'll be doing anymore damage than what has already been done to it.

As for paint, I thought about rub and buff, and as much as I like to use it, it does rub off fairly easily long after it's cured. Not sure what other possible silver paints to use that I'd feel comfortable using

Well the original DOES have a chrome look to it (possibly from tape), and I've heard if you want a great chrome look, you can go gloss black, then light chrome spray over... I've never tried it, but sounds interesting.

I think even the Licensed ROTJ didn't have a brushed look. I think it was chrome shiny.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back