Star Trek Beyond

Ok. That's a whole lot better.

Good
- I'm SO GLAD they're acknowledging Kirk joining Starfleet on a dare rather than because he wanted to really become a part of it. This is how you get someone like me to accept his worthiness of the Captain's chair. Not by blasting away enemies or sacrificing himself for 10 minutes, but by actually understanding why being a part of Starfleet's mission is important.
- Is that the deflector array in action when the ship is in warp? About time we see it's depiction.
- THE HOT ROD DIES!

Not So good
- Humanity is great and aliens are dumb. Spock saying "Fear of death is illogical" and Bones telling him that it's what keeps us alive. Are you serious? The fear of death is now an exclusive human trait? What the heck were all those moments with Spock worrying about his parents, the council and everyone else on Vulcan when it was being destroyed? "Spock to Enterprise, get us out NOW!". And the big bad telling Kirk that Unity is a weakness (Despite working with all sorts of aliens) and Kirk saying "You underestimate Humanity. Ya! You tell that nasty Alien how pro-unity humanity is Kirk by aiming your phaser that's set to kill right at his head.
- The USS Franklin. This ship looks way too much like the NX-01. If it becomes the Enterprise-A I'm going to be very disappointed.

From the fan event happening right now as of this posting.

Enterprise-A - the second starship to bear the name? Actually it's the third one: NX-01, NCC-1701, NCC-1701-A

Is anyone else noticing the pattern repetition here? Each of these new movies is mirroring some aspect of their original counterparts.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek (2009) - New and largely untested starship faces off against a massive alien ship with a surprisingly familiar crew.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek: Into Darkness - Both movies pit Kirk against Khan Noonien Singh, who has hijacked a Federation ship and is hell bent on vengeance. In both films, a major character dies.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and Star Trek: Beyond - Both movies seemingly have Kirk and crew stealing a starship for whatever reason (at least that's kind of the impression I got) and have the Enterprise get destroyed.

Oh, that's great! That means we can expect a funny time travel to our present in the fourth movie! :D

That looked a ton better than the last couple. I actually might see this one.

(After swearing that I would never again....)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

... Not So good
- Humanity is great and aliens are dumb. Spock saying "Fear of death is illogical" and Bones telling him that it's what keeps us alive. Are you serious? The fear of death is now an exclusive human trait? What the heck were all those moments with Spock worrying about his parents, the council and everyone else on Vulcan when it was being destroyed? "Spock to Enterprise, get us out NOW!". ...

Don't forget: Spock is half human! ;)

Don't forget: Spock is half human! ;)

Which sadly suggests that this film will portray Spock's alien heritage as a flaw, there by insinuating the idea that all pure Vulcans are a flawed species who cannot be counted on to survive life threatening situations.

Which sadly suggests that this film will portray Spock's alien heritage as a flaw, there by insinuating the idea that all pure Vulcans are a flawed species who cannot be counted on to survive life threatening situations.

"Fear of death is illogical" doesn't mean death is better or more logical than life for a Vulcan. It's only about the fear of it. So I actually would count on Vulcans, but I wouldn't count on Klingons, who always prefer a honorable death. ;)

"Fear of death is illogical" doesn't mean death is better or more logical than life for a Vulcan. It's only about the fear of it. So I actually would count on Vulcans, but I wouldn't count on Klingons, who always prefer a honorable death. ;)

But Bones isn't counting on Spock. He's telling Spock that his logic is wrong because the fear of death is what keeps them alive. Spock is shown as the wrong party due to his 'alien' nature.

But Bones isn't counting on Spock. He's telling Spock that his logic is wrong because the fear of death is what keeps them alive. Spock is shown as the wrong party due to his 'alien' nature.

The illogical McCoy against the logical Spock - that's nothing new. It's the most interesting part of Star Trek, even in TOS. The funny thing is that both of them are right: Fear of death is actually what keeps us alive - and fear of death is illogical, since we all have to die sooner or later. There's nothing we could do about it. So, why fear of it? :)

It doesn't insinuate anything... that's how YOU are choosing to take it.

Perhaps it is Spock wrestling with himself over his two halves and their mutually exclusive viewpoints? Perhaps he is trying (as ever he did) to reconcile that he *has* fear, and yet he is Vulcan...and feels he should not have it. Spock has *always* wrestled with striking a balance between his "two halves"... often in the beginning appearing to feel that the human side should be utterly supressed. But as time wore on--and as his human friends continued to give him insights into humanity--he gradually came to realize that he was unique, and should embrace the best of both worlds. THAT has been Spock's character arc.

Not "wrong". I didn't hear Bones say: "Spock, you are wrong. You are flawed." He said that--at least for humans--fear of death is what keeps them alive. This is essentially a true statement...it is our fear of our life ending which prompts out instincts to move us to protect ourselves and those we love.

I don't think Bones was telling Spock he's "wrong". I think he is trying to help his friend to understand that fear of death is not weakness, and that if he (Spock) can come to accept this, it can actually become a strength.

Again, this is all in how YOU are choosing to read into the dialog spoken. And knowing what i do of both characters, I don;t get the sense that there was any disdain in what Bones was expressing.

Not "wrong". I didn't hear Bones say: "Spock, you are wrong. You are flawed." /QUOTE]

Watch out, the writers may read that and steal and modify pieces from another old story and have Spock suddenly say "Nomad, er uh....Spock is flawed...sterilize....sterilize....sterilize...." and try to destroy himself, and Bones then can talk him down and save him.

In the first film it jumps back and forth. One second being half-human is a giant flaw, the next second it's a strength :facepalm

startrekbeyond-poster-183523.jpg

So... not to be "that person" again, but Paramount really should rethink some things they're doing right now. They've been consistently trying to say that this series is about doing something "new and different" with the franchise, but they want to basically duplicate the poster for the Motion Picture to promote it?

View attachment 627118

So... not to be "that person" again, but Paramount really should rethink some things they're doing right now. They've been consistently trying to say that this series is about doing something "new and different" with the franchise, but they want to basically duplicate the poster for the Motion Picture to promote it?
Yet I love that poster!

(I also love the motion picture...despite decker being a convicted pedophile )

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back