TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Thanks for that, that has been a great help. Although my Icons is in great condition and is no doubt a lovely saber (being the first good prop Lightsaber released) I now feel it deserves to be made more realistic and the TFA is the perfect saber to convert it to........I will update you all as things progress

Just a quick update,

The CAD model of the TFA kobold is finished! I think I got most dimensions right and I'm happy how it looks. Tomorrow I'll run it through my 3d printer and create a working prototype... After that it's all about finding the right CNC shop. I hope this works! Would anyone be interested in a run of these? I guess I would have to gauge interest in a separate JY-thread after receiving a quote from the shop...

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-10 um 14.42.27.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-10 um 14.42.39.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-10 um 14.42.56.pngBildschirmfoto 2016-06-10 um 16.04.16.png

I already sourced some D-rings that I really like. I think size-wise they are spot on!

drings.jpg

If everything goes to plan (it usually doesn't :D ) I might also get the opportunity to start etching on an early connector-board prototype. It all depends on DHL now... Go DHL! :popcorn

Last edited:
Just a quick update,

The CAD model of the TFA kobold is finished! I think I got most dimensions right and I'm happy how it looks. Tomorrow I'll run it through my 3d printer and create a working prototype... After that it's all about finding the right CNC shop. I hope this works! Would anyone be interested in a run of these? I guess I would have to gauge interest in a separate JY-thread after receiving a quote from the shop...

View attachment 633918View attachment 633919View attachment 633920View attachment 633921

I already sourced some D-rings that I really like. I think size-wise they are spot on!

View attachment 633922

If everything goes to plan (it usually doesn't :D ) I might also get the opportunity to start etching on an early connector-board prototype. It all depends on DHL now... Go DHL! :popcorn

Looking good! Definitely keep us posted on the progress of things. I wouldn't mind one if things pan out.

What does anyone make of this version of Rey's lightsaber that was on display with other TFA props and costumes at Disneyland back in November. Notice the angle of the clamp and what looks like black screws/rivets on the grips. Are they meant to be the actual props used in the film?
Disneyland-Star-Wars-Launch-Bay-5-11162015-615x461.jpg

What does anyone make of this version of Rey's lightsaber that was on display with other TFA props and costumes at Disneyland back in November. Notice the angle of the clamp and what looks like black screws/rivets on the grips. Are they meant to be the actual props used in the film?
http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Disneyland-Star-Wars-Launch-Bay-5-11162015-615x461.jpg

We have already talked about these Launch Bay sabers in depth in this thread.

This is a huge Thread, but if you'll go back and read through from the beginning you'll see that they seem to be made specifically for the display and don't have details that match-up with the screen-used lightsabers.

BTW can I have your opinions on the dilemma I face. I want to make TFA Rey lightsaber and I have an immaculate Icons Skywalker saber ( with perfect case but no paperwork) that I have had for 20 years to convert Do I use it to make a conversion or do I keep it and try and find another. Values of Graflex's (real or otherwise) seem to have gone through the roof but was not sure about the Icons version because of its inaccuracies. I think the TFA is a great version of Skywalkers saber but am torn as I am sentimental about my Icons.

Trying to get my head round the two TFA Hero props we know about vs ESB grip dimensions I drew up this diagram, thought it might be useful for others :)

grips.png

If it doesn't match up with what we know I can adjust it.

Attachments

• grips.png
    grips.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 111
BTW can I have your opinions on the dilemma I face. I want to make TFA Rey lightsaber and I have an immaculate Icons Skywalker saber ( with perfect case but no paperwork) that I have had for 20 years to convert Do I use it to make a conversion or do I keep it and try and find another. Values of Graflex's (real or otherwise) seem to have gone through the roof but was not sure about the Icons version because of its inaccuracies. I think the TFA is a great version of Skywalkers saber but am torn as I am sentimental about my Icons.

Honestly the ICONS Graflex Luke lightsaber was the best replica ICONS made because it was pretty much a spot-on (non-working) replica of a Graflex flash. Much more accurate then their Heiland-based Vader or 'best guess' Obi-Wan lightsabers.

Back in 1997-2002 these were in crazy high demand and fetched a good price. With the advent of ebay and other on-line sources for buying a real Graflex plus the several other good replica Graflex's over the years (Parks being the most popular) the ICONS Luke saber is not in high demand anymore.

As a replica of the ANH saber, it's not accurate as it only has 6 grips instead of the ANH 7 grips, and although the d-ring in the correct style for ANH the 2 hole, 2 screw clip is inaccurate. If you wanted an accurate Luke ANH saber, the ICONS is passing but not 100% accurate.

Due to the inaccuracies and the low demand, if you tried to sell it you would not get much more than other replica Graflex's are going for these days.

Because the ICONS as a Graflex is already very accurate, and you can replace the ANH 6 grips with the TFA 6 grips, add a Kobold d-ring, and replace the bubble strip with an TFA circuit card and now you've got a 99% accurate replica to the Luke/Rey/Finn lightsaber from TFA I say go ahead with the conversion. To add the missing 1% you would only need to add the clamp cover even though the ICONS does not have the Graflex stamping for the accurate wrapped-clamp look.

I say convert the ICONS to the TFA. Or at least convert it to a proper ESB. Either way you would be improving the inaccurate ANH version to something accurate.

Thanks for the advice James. When I start work on it ( awaiting TFA conversion kit from Roy ) I will post my progress on here :)
Nice collection of sabers btw :thumbsup

Hi Roy.....Any updates on the availability of TFA lightsaber kits?

The Kobold clips are almost ready, and the new translucent clamp cards are in production. I think I'll have all components ready in perhaps 2 or 3 weeks. But I don't know yet how the clamp cards turn out! Fingers crossed.
You can of course buy most components separately already.

Roy

The Kobold clips are almost ready, and the new translucent clamp cards are in production. I think I'll have all components ready in perhaps 2 or 3 weeks. But I don't know yet how the clamp cards turn out! Fingers crossed.

Roy
Can wait for those accurate claim cards!

Roy

you da man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,
I'm loving this thread. I've got Roy's clamp card (will be getting the new one too) and the clamp cover. I am so digging them - Thanks Roy! I'm going to make mine from an extra Master Replicas ESB lightsaber that I acquired way back when. Been looking at the photos on the PropShop site for inspiration. I know it's not film accurate but I like the look of their prop images - the weathering and the dark steel hex screws are doing it for me, so that's the look I want to go for. My only thing is the 'beer tab'. Does anyone have any idea how I could get my hands on one or even a reproduction?. It's my missing link - and it's killing me. I really want to dig into this prop but I'm at a stalemate. If anyone has any knowledge of where to get one or ideas on how to construct one I would be super grateful. Thanks all.

Cheers,
therethere

Trying to get my head round the two TFA Hero props we know about vs ESB grip dimensions I drew up this diagram, thought it might be useful for others :)

View attachment 635002

If it doesn't match up with what we know I can adjust it.

That looks like it took a fair amount of work. Can anyone else that's performed the same calculations verify these numbers? I haven't yet, but surely someone else has also tried to figure these dimensions out...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back