PropShop announces TFA Props!

Hi All!

I know that the announcement of a new line of prop replicas from Prop Shop has resulted in some questions from our customers and others in regards how this has affected EFX. Let me assure you that nothing has changed. Prop Shop, as the prop supplier for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is now offering an exciting, new level of replicas to Star Wars fans. So between EFX and Prop Shop, we are able to offer a more comprehensive range of products and options for our collectors.

Also, this has not affected your outstanding orders with us. The Scout helmet is still in process and we will update you on the status soon.
Thanks, as always, for your support!

Bryan

Nobody has answered the question I asked earlier and I'm still curious. If these prices are because of the liscence fees,where does that leave us with the future of lisceenced Star Wars props?Are we going to see insane prices from now on?If so I'm out.Although I do prefer fan made stuff. Lol. ;)

I also wonder if this has something to do with the EFX liscence rumors. Has EFX gone to renew their liscence and Disney want 3 times as much as before and EFX hasn't been ready for it?

Ben

eFX themselves posted earlier in the thread - they (and Anovos) are both continuing with their SW licenses with no change. The Prop Shop prices are not just due to license fees - they're high because the company is a UK-based shop that hand-makes everything, versus mass production (in China or wherever). Lower quantity, longer assembly/finish times, expensive labor, fancy packaging and marketing == high prices.

This is why I stopped buying anything from RPFers in the UK. With the exchange rate it just cost me too much.

If a company in the UK sells a lightsaber for $500, they are only making £349.00 on the sale. A $3000 prop only makes £2100 in sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I stopped buying anything from RPFers in the UK. With the exchange rate it just cost me too much.

If a company in the UK sells a lightsaber for $500, they are only making £349.00 on the sale. A $3000 prop only makes £2100 in sales.

While true, it's not like $20 here is equal to 20 pounds there. But things generally are more expensive there. I'd bet the fee for crate for a saber alone is being charged at 3-400.

If they're billing time on the 3d printer and the time for employees to paint/detail these things...it does add up quick. They're charging probably 100 bucks/hour for finishing, so between finishing, packaging, etc, you get to 1200 quicker than you'd like. Where they may incur 600 worth of finishing work - that same 6 hours on an assembly line in china costs 20 bucks.

Well hopefully you have an RS Stormtrooper helmet/armour, and if you're into Vader, a Quasimodo helmet...

After that? Is there anything else? :)

"£349" is the same as $500 though. People in the UK aren't getting less money! it's the same amount!

"£349" is the same as $500 though. People in the UK aren't getting less money! it's the same amount!

I know. My point was that a shop in the UK has to set their prices for what is fair for them in the UK and to pay UK artists and crew and UK materials in Pounds.

Once they do that and the UK price is converted to U.S. dollars, it's usually out of my price range.

When I look at the Junkyard and I see items priced in Pounds I know it's a fair price for the member in the UK but it's too expensive for me. I recently saw a real AS Handwheel for £300. If it had been $300 I would have bought is as $300 is a fair price in USD. But after the conversion I felt the price was too high for me.

It's the exchange rate that keeps me buying from the UK.

I think he's saying that they cover their costs...

Like I don't sell anything for Canadian prices. If I sell one for 250 Canadian, I'll make 180... so I have to up the price to make it worthwhile to me.

Say I buy for something for $250 in Canadian dollars, If I want to sell it to the US, I feel bad making Americans pay $325 for the same thing... but it's the only way I get what it's worth.

It sucks when you buy a book here and see the US and Canadian prices on it. Same Book... I make the same amount as someone in the US, with the same cost of living, but I'm paying 70 bucks while they pay 55...

CND to Pounds is even worse than USD to Pounds. I couldn't be in this hobby if I lived in Canada.

It's the WORST.

My collection would be bonkers if I didn't have to pay exchange. Even if someone makes something in Canada, they won't sell it to a fellow Canadian at a reduced rate... still USD. Of course it makes sense, but still a bummer.

Once they do that and the UK price is converted to U.S. dollars, it's usually out of my price range.

When I look at the Junkyard and I see items priced in Pounds I know it's a fair price for the member in the UK but it's too expensive for me. I recently saw a real AS Handwheel for £300. If it had been $300 I would have bought is as $300 is a fair price in USD. But after the conversion I felt the price was too high for me.

It's the exchange rate that keeps me buying from the UK.
Yeah, one time I ordered 3 feet of material from the UK and I only received One meter.......:facepalm

Yeah, one time I ordered 3 feet of material from the UK and I only received One meter.......:facepalm

Not the same... you're missing the point.

He's talking about a fair price in the UK, converted for exchange, is not a fair price in the US.

In Canada it's worse.

people in the US are getting 900 dollars for a graflex... so as a Canadian, I want 900 dollars as well. Why not? My cost of living is the same as yours.

So I put it in the Junkyard for 900 dollars Canadian, I actually end up only getting 700 dollars.

So if I want my 900 dollars, I put it up in the Junkyard for 1150 USD.

Last edited:
I've had no problem buying extremely high priced fan sourced stuff. But I know they are accurate casts to a T and there will only ever be a small handful. Say 10 or so. These no matter how you look at it are still mass produced. At least 500. I guess the fact they are not made in China is a point. Wages will be somewhat higher. I just have a feeling disney may be charging an arm and a leg compared to Lucasfilm.

Ben

Nobody has answered the question I asked earlier and I'm still curious. If these prices are because of the liscence fees,where does that leave us with the future of lisceenced Star Wars props?Are we going to see insane prices from now on?If so I'm out.Although I do prefer fan made stuff. Lol. ;)

I also wonder if this has something to do with the EFX liscence rumors. Has EFX gone to renew their liscence and Disney want 3 times as much as before and EFX hasn't been ready for it?

Ben

I fully expect products in numerous price ranges will continue to be available. Disney and Lucasfilm want to be able to sell to as many people as possible.

Even efx and Anovos offer more than one level of the same item. There are plenty of versions of the Kylo Ren helmet with drastically different prices. I wish someone would produce a Kylo saber hilt like the MR hilts at a more reasonable price than PropShop.

CND to Pounds is even worse than USD to Pounds. I couldn't be in this hobby if I lived in Canada.

The duty fees might get you, but, if you're making $30/hr right now (just throwing out a number) and you got transfered to Canada, you'd still be making the canadian equivalent of 30 US dollars.Anything else would be a transfer and a pay cut, which doesn't happen outside of demotion in that scenario.

While the discussion of currency and it's exchange rate is absolutely riveting... Perhaps we should continue discussing the props and company producing them?

We were... everything in this thread is about how expensive they are... it's no different than discussing if the way they made it comes into costs.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back