New to airbishing. What do I need?

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So Santa brought me an Iwata air brush. I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor. What else do I need? My first project is to paint a pla 3D printed Baby Groot. Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

John

Does your compressor have a regulator? Besides paint, basically you are ready to go, if you are going to paint straight on the 3D print. But....if you want to smooth down the layers that undoubtedly are on you may want to try XTC-3D which is basically a paintable resin that reduces or eliminates the obvious 3D layers, but does also cover up detail.
Use YouTube to find videos regarding replicating Baby Groot's texture. If this is your first AIRBRUSH, practice, practice, practice. It won't take long to achieve results that you will be proud of.

TazMan2000

Yep I have a regulator. I just ordered some Testors mm paint. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the tips.

Yep I have a regulator. I just ordered some Testors mm paint. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the tips.

Don't forget the thinner! Testors paints are too thick to be sprayed directly, and as I'm sure you know they are prone to clumping up. So ensure you pour the paint through a mesh screen to filter out most of the chunks or else your airbrush will get clogged.

TazMan2000

Moisture trap!

tumblr_inline_nzfevykxev1rg0x34_500.jpg

Honestly, if you've never used one, go to a Michaels or whatever local art-like supply you can find and get the cheapest water based inks or paints you can find. Hook up the brush, reg and moisture trap and start spraying. You can watch all the videos in the world, but until you get a feel of the brush, and a hands on experience of how thin the paint should be for the PSI you're spraying, etc. you won't enjoy it.

Nothing will ruin your first experience with an AB faster than trying to pass unthinned enamel on an assembled model. Shoot cheap stuff on paper until you get used to handling it.

By the way, Iwata makes a great brush. I'm still using a HP-BC2 that I bought in 1986 from the first Pearl Paint in Manhattan. Still on the original nozzle and needle, it's my main all purpose brush. The more recent Iwatas I purchased HP-AH and HP-TH are the same quality, 30 years later.

Cleaning, cleaning and cleaning the airbrush often, to make sure it works properly (and adding a moisture trap;)).Have fun!

I'd love to learn to use an airbrush, but I know myself. I get too lazy at times and having to always clean the thing so much, I would probably use it less.

Cleaning, cleaning and cleaning the airbrush often, to make sure it works properly (and adding a moisture trap;)).Have fun!

Absolutely. Buying an inexpensive ultrasonic bath was a game changer for me.

Something I'd add would be to read up on other painters experiences with the brands of paint you use. Not all paints are created equal, particularly when it comes to acrylics. Some painters use alternative thinners, or odd combinations and produce excellent results.

I'd love to learn to use an airbrush, but I know myself. I get too lazy at times and having to always clean the thing so much, I would probably use it less.

it's a lot easier than you think. Plus, while waiting for the paint to dry is a perfect time to clean it. It's saved me many a model because I get impatient with peeling the masking off and 9 times out of 10, end up with issues because the paint wasn't dry. Cleaning the airbrush forces me to wait.

only thing different I do now is gather parts from the various models or things I'm working on and group them together by color. At least this way, I'm not spending more time cleaning the airbrush than painting a small part.

And having more than one airbrush at the ready also helps.

You'll get a rhythm going on the cleaning, it isn't (or shouldn't be) onerous. I only spray acrylics, so I keep a small beaker of clean water and a larger vessel for spray out. After painting, I run water through the color cup, take it off if if it's siphon feed, dump it if it's gravity. Next dip the whole head of the brush in the clean water and spray. Lift it out and cover the nozzle with my finger and backwash any color out, dip again and spray. At that point I pull the needle and wipe it. If it's clean, I dip once more, put some AB cleaner (Vallejo) in a spray it out, if not, I repeat until it is clean. Disconnect the hose and put it away. It's maybe a one minute process in total.

Then about every 20-30 uses I'll break it down and toss it in the ultra sonic cleaner for a few cycles, or if it acts up on the interim.

I've done that with my 30 year old Iwata, still on the original needle and nozzle, so it works for me. The only extra step with that old brush is I'll put some superlube on the trigger plunger every 10 or so uses since it tends to stick. Not too shabby for a 30 year old o ring.

An AB is just a tool, don't be afraid of it, just have fun. I remember the first time I used one on a model and thought, 'that's it?' I guess I expected some monster challenge or the heavens opening up. It's just a great way to move paint. When the paint is of proper consistency, it's so easy and quick it's ridiculous.

Once you start using your airbrush you will see a definite improvement of the looks of your models. No more brush strokes and weathering will look better as well. The small price you have to pay in cleaning will pay off in dividends in the quality of your paint jobs. I'm fairly new to it as well, and still have much to learn, but I would never go back to brush painting large areas. Brush painting for me will only be on cockpits and small areas, and weathering.

TazMan2000

So I installed my moisture trap today and don't have air coming out of it. The moisture chamber has pressure, but I have no output from here.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    574 KB · Views: 67
Just a tip, do many thin layers and build up your color. Also your undercoat when painting will effect your final result, you can use that to your advantage. If you want a dark red, paint it black first and then build up thin layers with a plain red to get the shade of red you desire. Want a bright vibrant red, spray yellow first. It's a clever way of getting a shade or tint without mixing paints. Another thing, I save little scraps of plastic packaging to test painting on, it's free and a good way to test your techniques and doesn't cost you anything.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back