My War Doctor Cosplay at AwesomeConDC 2014

TimeyWimey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was hoping to have my Rocketeer rocket pack done in time to debut the whole cotume at AwesomeConDC this year, but there's no way it was going to be ready. So I decided to put something else together. (I ended up going as the Rocketeer anyway for one of the days, with a stand-in "flat pack" on my back.)

What I decided on was to be The War Doctor from the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special.

Here's a shot of me taken at the con:
dcnerd.jpg

Photo by DCNerd: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcnerd/

Last edited:
So here's what was involved for the jacket:

Took this poor, innocent thrift store jacket ($20):

jacket.jpg

And proceeded to try to add appropriate wear and tear, but the leather was so soft that it didn't wear properly. So I ended up mostly simulating it with acrylic paint.

Here's the front, part-way through painting it more brown:

jacket2.jpg

Then I went at it with a wire brush and sandpaper, then painted the worn spots with a rust color:

jacket3.jpg

jacket4.jpg

jacket5.jpg

For the bandolier, I cannibalized two thrift store belts, and an old belt of my own, and added some leather lacing.

Here's the first level of the bandolier:

bandolier.jpg

And the finished product with the jacket and a store-bought sonic screwdriver:

bandolier2.jpg

The gaiters were sewn by by girlfriend. I put the buttons on and dirtied them up. Here they are before I abused them:

gaiters.jpg

She also sewed the waistcoat, which I added the buttons to.

- - - Updated - - -

More convention pictures. The watch attached to that chain is the Master's Pocket Watch - the light-up metal one, not the plastic toy.

Comparing sonic screwdrivers with Doctor 11 at the Laughing Ogre Comics booth:

comparing.jpg

And posing with the Doctor's nemesis, a Dalek, next to the Tardis Photo Booth:

dalek.jpg

Nice! I have yet to find a leather coat that I'm happy enough with, but this costume is definitely on my list!

What's frustrating is, a buddy of mine has a coat almost identical to the War Doctor's, right down to the weathering. He's not about to part with it though.

Awesome costume, and you've really got the right look for the War Doctor. I'd love to try cosplaying him sometime, but I'm way too young and still can't even grow a real beard or mustache :p

For the bandolier, I cannibalized two thrift store belts, and an old belt of my own, and added some leather lacing.

Here's the first level of the bandolier:

http://www.stevedockery.com/wardoctor/bandolier.jpg

And the finished product with the jacket and a store-bought sonic screwdriver:

http://www.stevedockery.com/wardoctor/bandolier2.jpg

The gaiters were sewn by by girlfriend. I put the buttons on and dirtied them up. Here they are before I abused them:

http://www.stevedockery.com/wardoctor/gaiters.jpg
Do you have a detail shot closer for the Bandoleer?

What are the gaiters made from and the button style?

Awesome costume, and you've really got the right look for the War Doctor. I'd love to try cosplaying him sometime, but I'm way too young and still can't even grow a real beard or mustache :p

Well...the War Doctor wasn't always old. If I do this costume, it's likely going to be a younger version.

Do you have a detail shot closer for the Bandoleer?

What are the gaiters made from and the button style?

Sorry I took so long to reply, here's some details:

Here's the entire finished bandolier:

bandolier3.jpg

I attached the extra pieces over top the basic bandolier bullet loops, using leather lacing. These pieces may be metal on the actual prop, I couldn't find an image with enough detail. The whole design of this is a best guess based on what I could see.

bandolier4.jpg

The bullet loops were originally attached with contact cement, but they started pulling loose, so I went back and punched holes and tied them down with the same leather lacing.

bandolier5.jpg

Here are the gaiters, they're made of an olive-colored canvas, roughed up with sandpaper and a wire brush, then dirtied down (with real dirt), and sprayed with matte fixative.

gaiters1.jpg

The buttons are some plain pewter-colored metal buttons I got at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

gaiters2.jpg

Just out of curiousity did your girlfriend work off a pattern for the gaiters? If so could you provide a link? I love the style of them and was looking to use some for another costume I'm working on, and can't find what I want online.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back