Once upon A Time. Hook

I think pipping hates me lol, got one side done but it took a lot longer then I thought. Hopefully I'll be onto eyelets tomorrow
loving the texture on the piping though glad I went with the 9mm instead of 12
If risu commissions the coat from you thom, I might have to snag one after lol :)
now to work on my facial hair lol
thanks again guys for all your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 139
If I'm able to get some of the chevron fabric I'd think about it in the future, but for now it's still a distant plan to even make my own.

So pippings done! tried to seal the piping with some vinyl glue in order to make rope texture more prominent. Kind of worked but also made my work a lot harder as it soaked in a few places :/ but besides cleaning some of the suede(beside vinyl glue the suede has some dirt stains of some sort) the main vest panel is done. Onto eyelets
image.jpg

Last edited:
So since I can't rock those awesome fluevog shoes I think I'll attempt the boots cuffs and rock these dress shoes. I do have swashbuckler boots but I don't think they will jive well with the rest of the outfit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 137
Do you set your eyelets with a hammer and punch, or do you have a hand press? There have got to be a couple hundred eyelets on that thing. I've never been able to get eyelets to set properly with the punch.

Rubber mallet and punch. The most time consuming part would be punching the holes themselves(going through 2 layers of leather and 2 layers of suede). Mounting and punching the eyelets aren't super difficult for me but I've found with the mallet giving small taps slowly widens the eyelet without worry of warping or ruining the eyelet.
still have 3 sides to but had to stop for the night since punching the holes is freakin loud, moved onto finishing the piping on the shoulder pads and also fabricating the boot covers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 122
Yea, I do the small taps thing, but the leather/fabric always inevitably stretches slightly and pulls itself out of the eyelet. It's not a problem I've ever experienced with grommets on account of the back plate.

Why do you have to punch through suede if the eyelets are set in from the bound edge?

There's a about an inch of suede after the pipe, I should have trimmed it but left it on instead.
So I caved an ordered some equestrian half calf chaps. 14 inch height with 12-14 inch calf. I figured I could at least wrap the trim around the top if time doesn't go my way. I think tops I'll have maybe 4 more work days to get this all done. Waiting on buckle, clasps, chaps,shirt and hook to arrive

Oh, you sewed it in like piping. FWIW, it's actually a bound edge.
Oh! Lol well that would have been way easier to do a bound edge. FML
but in other news got one side panel done and hope to get the other done by Saturday.
i won't have time to leather wrap the hook but hope to do that after the event.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 174
Did they just do a nice paint job on a toy hook, or do you think they had a legit metal one made? Do you plan to make the left sleeve of your shirt longer like they did? I feel like that's really convincing on camera, but really obvious in person.

Did they just do a nice paint job on a toy hook, or do you think they had a legit metal one made? Do you plan to make the left sleeve of your shirt longer like they did? I feel like that's really convincing on camera, but really obvious in person.
Looks Iike the production team made a decent hook, it looks to have been metal shopped and the base wrapped in leather. The shirt I got has a removable lace fringe that I figured on using in order to mask my sleeve a bit more but we will see how it plays out when it arrives.

Such a long week, got the back panel and shoulders to do an then eyelets will be complete, my right forearm is huge now compared to the left after all these eyelets lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 127
Couldn't wait lol got my hair chopped off from an awesome friend an had to lace the bad boy up and throw on one clasp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 131
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back