RoG announces new X-Wing kit!

I kept getting excited for new Star Wars kits I would see/read about and I'd think I would want to buy them.... but then the reviews were bad scale (1/72), poor details, and the kit is $50.

No thanks.

Would like to see the fuse laid side by side wih the AMT/ERTL Pro-Shop version...

- - - Updated - - -

Still love this photo, though it is no longer complete:

View attachment 255009

--FM original
--ERTL smallest
--ERTL "stardard"
--ERTL Pro-Shop
--Hasbro FX
--Capt. Cardboard
--Maxi-Brute model rocket

Missing:
--FM larger 1/48
--RoG 1/30
--Salzo SS kit

It's missing the 2 Revell kits, I don't know what scale they are though. The EasyKit looks around 1/72 - 1/66 ish, and I've no idea what the pocket one is

Would like to see the fuse laid side by side wih the AMT/ERTL Pro-Shop version...

- - - Updated - - -

Still love this photo, though it is no longer complete:

View attachment 255009

--FM original
--ERTL smallest
--ERTL "stardard"
--ERTL Pro-Shop
--Hasbro FX
--Capt. Cardboard
--Maxi-Brute model rocket

Missing:
--FM larger 1/48
--RoG 1/30
--Salzo SS kit

Hopefully someone will update this but it's still a valuable reference source.

No, they are not the same molds

The pocket kit is around 1/100 to 1/120. Figure wise it seems to match pretty close with the size of the figure in the AMT/ERTL/MPC B-wing. Very nice little kit. Only real downside is the odd scale

The regular easy kit is somewhere around 1/65 to 1/72. It is supposedly very similar in size to the old AMT/ERTL small snap kit, although worlds apart as far as detail. The Revell kits are much better

The new large kit is supossedly 1/30

I don't have any of the other X-Wing models to make a comparison but the Revell fuselage is exactly 39.7 cm long and 5.7 cm wide at the bottom.

Just a little update on my model, I've been able to remove the upper plate entirely as you can see on the pictures :

I've found that it was pretty difficult to get precise reference pics of the belly of the fuselage as I want to detail it as accurately as possible on the Revell model, as you can see here it's no so detailed :

Could someone post some close up pictures of their own Studio Scale to help me ? That would be cool, thanks !

On the same note, I'm looking for some 3D printed parts for this model (the upperplate, the back plate, pilot cockpit and laser cannons essentially) and I don't really know how and where I should get them, so I guessed that if someone had built an accurate X-Wing 3D model, it could be a start. Any idea ?

OK I went ahead and picked up the "pocket-sized" Revell and the next size up.

Won't be real soon, but I'll add those to the photo set-up above, along wth my Salzo fuse.

Magura, do you have either of the two smaller Revell models?

If so can you snap a pic, similar to mine above, with the new bigger kit fuse along side either (or both, ideally) the smaller two Revell Fuses? Then maybe I could 'Shop it into the image.

Actually, even if you don't have the other kits, your first fuse image is the same format as mine and you've offered the precise measurements, so I should be able to work it up from there. Heck I could even print it out at the exact 1:1 size and include the print out in my photo.

Last edited:
PHArchivist Unfortunately I don't have the smaller kits from Revell as I was essentially interested in larger scales. I will eventually buy the Fine Molds 1/48 kit from Japan in order to have a reference for some detailing work on the Revell model. I will post pics of both of them then but as far as I know I think the FM 1/48 kit's fuselage is roughly between 25-30 cm long.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1/48 FM fuselage is almost exactly 9.5 inches long. That's from the tip of the nose cone to the end of the fuselage halves, NOT including the back plate.

-MJ

Got mine today, I was surprised to find it in stores already. The box is rather large and gives an idea of how big the actual model is.

I'm really happy that they released this thing. As a rookie modeller putting together an expensive kit or converting a Hasbro toy sounds too difficult.

I don't think i'll be building this one right away though. As "easy" as it is, it's rather impressive and I wouldn't want to mess it up.

I really don't feel like doing a whole repaint, but I figured a clean build + careful weathering could make it look display worthy.

Was able to accurately mock up this big Revell in 1D paper - this thing is about 90% the size of the Hasbro toy. It is closer to the Studio Scale (though not quite) range than your typical off the shelf model kit.

Last edited:
Mr. K looking forward to your build. While it may not be the most accurate representation of the X-Wing I'm just glad that we still have plastic kits coming out to build. More pics when you can.

Mr. K Great to see you found it, IMO it's already better than an Hasbro model out of the box but still has many flaws, being the only model outside Hasbro in this scale, it's making it a valuable base for a more accurate build. Did you notice Revell tried to copy the Kotobukiya model by replicating some inner details under the hood (torpedos compartment for example) which doesnt bring much value in the end, I wish they didn't bother and made the upper fuselage a unique molded piece.
robn1 Thanks ! I'll take this into account and get the 1/72 kit instead finally.

Here is a very rough 'Shopped version/update of the comp photo:

Comp020.jpg

--FM 1:72
--ERTL smallest
--ERTL "standard"
--ERTL Pro-Shop
--Revell "Big"
--Hasbro FX toy
--Icons
--Captain Cardboard
--Maxi-Brute

Still to be added (by me) are:
--Revell "pocket"
--Revell "standard"
--Salzo Studio Scale

Additional kits I don't have direct access to:
--Rodmart
--FM 1:48

Robiwon: I'll post pics of the sprues tonight (62 parts), just to give a better idea to those of you who are interested. I already opened the box and many parts came loose inside the bags (came off the sprues).

Magura: Actually the Kotobukiya X-Wing was my first choice, but as you probably know these suckers are very expensive nowadays. So in the past few months i've been looking at all the different Hasbro toys to see which one would be best suited to turn into a display model. But at the same time I learned that RoG was going to release this new kit so I was really excited to get it.

Last night I took five minutes to take a look at all the parts through the plastic bags and as far as i'm concerned I find the sculpt and details very good. Obviously I don't have enough model building experience to tell which panel line goes where or which greeblies are missing, but to me this is the X-Wing, and probably one of the best you can get for under $50.

If i'm honest I wish it would have been bigger (closer to 1/24) and the stand is ugly to say the least. But i'm really looking forward to this build. I also have the regular X-Wing still boxed up so I wonder if maybe I should try my hand at the smaller one first.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back