Latex/resin question

Xylophone

So I have a latex mask that's all painted up, and it's nice and all, but I'd like to harden it. I thought about coating it in resin. The last time I did that with a mask, it worked fairly well, though I guess I didn't layer the resin on thickly enough because it started to crack in places, both the paint job and the resin coating. Should I do it again or is there a better way to stiffen a latex mask?

So I have a latex mask that's all painted up, and it's nice and all, but I'd like to harden it. I thought about coating it in resin. The last time I did that with a mask, it worked fairly well, though I guess I didn't layer the resin on thickly enough because it started to crack in places, both the paint job and the resin coating. Should I do it again or is there a better way to stiffen a latex mask?

When you say "harden" I'm assuming that you want it to be stiffer, but not necessarily hard like a helmet. If it is a mask with some room inside (like a pull over the head mask,) you can lay down some latex soaked cloth or even latex soaked cotton inside in various places inside. When dry, this will stiffen the mask significantly. When dry, dust it well with baby powder and the dry latex won't stick to itself.

Hope this helps.

Jay

The latex is actually brushed onto a sculpt of oil-based clay at the moment, and only covers the face. What I want to do is to harden it so that it approaches helmet hardness levels, actually, but I'm not sure what the cleanest, most efficient way to do it would be.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back