TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Has anyone (I'm looking at you Roy :) ) modelled an accurate TFA grip profile yet?

No, not yet, but I feel the pressure [emoji1]

The problem is: I still think that the Wired picture is the screen used saber, but the profile is not the same as on the Launch Bay sabers and the Prop Shop sabers. To me it seems that the profile in the Wired pic has a glue channel whereas the LB & PS don't.
So I'm still not convinced that those fully curved bottom profiles are correct.

81bc92be996b0023f8774357504fd816.jpg

Last edited:
Here we see my newly flattened beer tab. My vice had an odd hammered-steel texture, so I put several layers of packing tape. This actually worked!

https://postimg.org/image/eei7mhe6t/

I also tried to flatten the side switch, the 2.0 has weird rounded edges. This really didn't do anything besides making me notice the chrome more, which prompted me to sand it very lightly. Not too bad, but I wish I hadn't done it.

https://postimg.org/image/lfswf1lpx/

It did leave some "crease marks" so in some lighting it looks like it is still bent.

https://postimg.org/image/nfp4h2l31/

Last edited:

The problem is: I still think that the Wired picture is the screen used saber, but the profile is not the same as on the Launch Bay sabers and the Prop Shop sabers. To me it seems that the profile in the Wired pic has a glue channel whereas the LB & PS don't.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/81bc92be996b0023f8774357504fd816.jpg

If the Wired one is screen-used, the clamp card's facing the wrong way. (Or it's double sided)
0821161547.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/81bc92be996b0023f8774357504fd816.jpg

I'm inclined to agree with you, I think it's a screen used one too. Do the grip lengths match up when overlaid with your models? I'm seeing raised edges exactly like your glue channel on the wired one too rather than a fully curved bottom. Also the raised parts look straight and parallel like the 2.0 or MR rather than the accurate flared profile on yours, particularly noticeable on the other shot from the emitter end.

Comparing to my MR Force FX Vader the part that joins the body looks thinner and the raised sections look either thinner or protrude further:

IMG_1202.JPG

So we can count that out at least, if all the MR grips are the same...

If the Wired one is screen-used, the clamp card's facing the wrong way. (Or it's double sided)
View attachment 656739

I still don't understand it. The only scene where we can clearly see the clamp card in the movie, it's mirrored from ALL the other images of promos and replicas. I sometimes think that perhaps that scene in which Maz hands it to Finn was OR CGI or it was mirrored in post production.
It doesn't change the fact that THAT orientation is the only screen used one.
It's not a rotated clamp card; you would be able to tell the difference very clearly.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

As far as I know about purchasing the many G R A F L E X flashguns ... the Props productionteam specifically asked for real genuine vintage props ... no reproductions nor replicas would suffice ... that to me would suggest that when it comes to add-on greeblies such as T-tracks the team would not settle for anything less than i.e. previously used T-tracks . . . so no MR rubber grips . . . yet much rather use the only one at Lucasfilm available Ranch saber in the Archives as reference to either recreate T-tracks in 3D and 3Dprint + cast or make a direct casting of one of the Ranchsaber grips to accommodate the many TFA saber props on and off screen, hence remaining closely to Luke's lightsaber as seen, used and lost in ESB.

Chaim

As far as I know about purchasing the many G R A F L E X flashguns ... the Props productionteam specifically asked for real genuine vintage props ... no reproductions nor replicas would suffice ...

You'd think so, but they didn't use a real Kobold for the d ring. They're also not sticking to Luke's ESB saber as it was used and lost as they put the glass eye from ANH back and machined it down for whatever reason:) Also the fact that they used the MR greeblies on Solos gun suggests they're not above that.

I'm surprised that in this information internet age nobody has found out who made the prop and asked :) It's not like the fog of time will have confused them about what they did on one of many movies 30 years ago :)

I know for fact that 7 G R A F L E X flashguns were purchased by the production teams both based in the USA and the UK. That gives you 7 red buttons in total, given the fact that production teams don't usually have the time to track and trace ebay for more available genuine red buttons and the already rising values even back in the summer of 2014 ... that would leave you with only 3 complete and available ESB based lightsabers ... yet they needed far more including the Disney exhibitions ... so they needed all 7 to be used one way or the other ... so I believe it was a simple matter of production time-tables and available funds vs. ESB continuity in which the latter lost which gave us the TFA lightsaber with just one red button in place.

Now as for the information age ... I know from Paul Bateman who still works at Pinewood Studios and can be heard on Rebel Force Radio frequently talking STAR WARS that most folks, props and otherwise involved in making stuff for STAR WARS, have to sign a release form not to discuss their work or trade whatsoever hence it's quite hard to get the information we seek from the horse's mouth to satisfy our lightsaber prop replica's needs :wacko

Chaim

I still don't understand it. The only scene where we can clearly see the clamp card in the movie, it's mirrored from ALL the other images of promos and replicas. I sometimes think that perhaps that scene in which Maz hands it to Finn was OR CGI or it was mirrored in post production.
It doesn't change the fact that THAT orientation is the only screen used one.
It's not a rotated clamp card; you would be able to tell the difference very clearly.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

This is so interesting. This picture must be a real practical prop, not CGI, right? The Finn/Rey backpack variant. It's a little hard to make out, but I think it has the left hand traces. I also think the CGI one that cuts to the practical one when Rey pulls it out of the snow with the force has left hand traces. It is entirely possible that there were separate models, but I don't know why they would. Unfortunately I can't find the frame where it shows the card during the forest duel, I can't scrub the movie frame by frame on my phone.

2c7001789f4ed9edbdf1f8a04043e8aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e57ad9c53d02578d5d49ff86327f777b.jpg

Here's a pic from a reviewer. (Christopher Chiu) Looks great, but the "lip" sits on top of the outer body. Maybe sanding or filing the top can fix that. Maybe if you took of the body of first it would be hidden? Also, wouldn't the thickness make the top pin stick out a little? What we need is a thin connector that hides under the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my picture! That was a quick mock up. It has since been fit underneath without much adjustment.

See more on graflex 2.0 modification discussion can be found here....

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255359

Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing that! I'll be sure to keep checking back for them.

Ryan Hutch posts regularly on the Graflex Addicts Support group on Facebook about availability.

Edit: Updated picture with brass tabs tucked in. (Full disclosure, I'm using a VV 1 inch blade holder adapter)
3d05791e22f7cc2a5caac38c3eebe191.jpg

Last edited:
This is so interesting. This picture must be a real practical prop, not CGI, right? The Finn/Rey backpack variant. It's a little hard to make out, but I think it has the left hand traces. I also think the CGI one that cuts to the practical one when Rey pulls it out of the snow with the force has left hand traces. It is entirely possible that there were separate models, but I don't know why they would. Unfortunately I can't find the frame where it shows the card during the forest duel, I can't scrub the movie frame by frame on my phone.
Here is a shot of the CGI saber (and can also be found several pages back on this thread, along with some pics of Finn holding the saber where you can clearly see which way the thin lines are going).
flysaberep7.jpg

Here is a shot of the CGI saber (and can also be found several pages back on this thread, along with some pics of Finn holding the saber where you can clearly see which way the thin lines are going).
View attachment 656835

Umm, yes but you see two different orientations in those scenes. The CGI spinning saber has right-side thin traces coming from the bottom of the thicker traces, while left-side thin-traces-from-bottom was seen in the Maz-to-Finn hand-off scene (indoor hero) and the saber-on-the-ground (outdoor hero) scene.

Last edited:
Umm, yes but you see two different orientations in those scenes. The CGI spinning saber has right-side thin traces coming from the bottom of the thicker traces, while left-side thin-traces-from-bottom was seen in the Maz-to-Finn hand-off scene (indoor hero) and the saber-on-the-ground (outdoor hero) scene.
Yea, I knew that. Meant to add that you can see them going the opposite direction in the Finn scenes. Opps

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back