TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

23474433343630-vi.png

That gap is exactly the same gap I have on my real Graflex ESB. Just enough to release the clamp. Not enough to be an 1/8th of an inch like the Maz Kanata saber shows. I'm not sure how you equate both to being equal. As far as low Rez, I agree. I'll be seeing it again with a great camera. We'll see.

The gap looks smaller because of the angle. It's bigger.

Really, we've got to wait for the Blu-Ray, no mater how high-res the camera, the image on the movie screen isn't high-enough-res.

So far, every other time the saber is seen on screen, the grips are short, just like the VD photo. Occam's Razor tells us that most likely all the sabers, including the Finn fathead, has short grips with a gap at both ends.

Plus, you can see the gap both in the fathead photo and in the snow in the movie.

The projection is plenty high enough res, it's just that taking any kind of screen shot with a camera is going to look bad compared to the source video.

I'm planning on making a second 3 cell bottom in TFA style to swap out with my ANH saber. Other than the clamp card, what else do I need to swap out on the top?

Also, roygilsing are you still planning on offering a kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, @roygilsing are you still planning on offering a kit?

Yes I am. I'm working on a stainless steel clamp cover and a new style edge connector card. I'll soon post some pics.

So far, every other time the saber is seen on screen, the grips are short, just like the VD photo. Occam's Razor tells us that most likely all the sabers, including the Finn fathead, has short grips with a gap at both ends.

Plus, you can see the gap both in the fathead photo and in the snow in the movie.

Yes, I completely agree: there is a gap between the grips and the clamp so far in all versions.
But it has been mentioned here before: isn't this gap the same kind of gap you'd need to allow the bottom part to be detachable? In other words, would this mean that the grips are indeed shorter? Or is the Graflex bottom at it's most outward position? This gives a 2 mm gap. If you also make a gap at the end, this means a grip length of 89 mm. In case the bottom is pushed inward, the length will be 87 mm.

When hires images become available I can do some 3D perspective matching and determine the exact length.

Last edited:
I think they modeled the grips off of the ROTS Anakin saber.

I do agree that there is a small gap if you pull the bottom tube down, but it's smaller than what we've seen plus there is a gap at the other end also. I really think they made the grips like the ROTS saber.

We need better ref images, and measurements.

I'm planning on making a second 3 cell bottom in TFA style to swap out with my ANH saber. Other than the clamp card, what else do I need to swap out on the top?

Other than the clamp cover, the only other variation is on the Wired saber, which has a glass eye frame without any knurls on it. The Launch Bay sabers aren't like that though.

I just want to add that I went to see the film a third time today and I have to side with the thought that the film prop had the short grips throughout, I specifically looked for it in the snow scene. I am starting to think that there was indeed one hero prop version seen in the film with the shorter grips. I am pretty sure the snow scene is just a trick of the angle and there is a gap at the bottom as well.

Has there been any consensus yet on whether the grip gap near the clamp is due to the clamp not being pulled all the way down or if the grips are shorter even with the clamp pulled all the way down?

If im not mistake you can tell by looking inside the square cutouts on the clamp.
If the clamp isnt all the way down it should be indicated by a hole inside the square.
All the way down and the tube should should cover the inside of the square completely.

Has there been any consensus yet on whether the grip gap near the clamp is due to the clamp not being pulled all the way down or if the grips are shorter even with the clamp pulled all the way down?

If im not mistake you can tell by looking inside the square cutouts on the clamp.
If the clamp isnt all the way down it should be indicated by a hole inside the square.
All the way down and the tube should should cover the inside of the square completely.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452934708.515048.jpg

You're right! In this picture I took from the Maz chest, the holes are indeed partially covered, indicating that the tube is all the way down, which again means that the gap would be shorter if it were up.

View attachment 578168

You're right! In this picture I took from the Maz chest, the holes are indeed partially covered, indicating that the tube is all the way down, which again means that the gap would be shorter if it were up.

Excellent!

(Btw did you mean" partially" or fully?)

Looks like the tube is all the way down...Unless its an entirely custom made clamp (which may not reveal holes for some reason) we should probably wait to confirm with the BR,

Note- in the VD photo it seens o indicate the tube is not quote all the way down...theres a slight hole visible insude the square.

Also, is it possible that the other pics showing the grips going all the way to the clamp is simply a result of the tube not being pulled down rather than longer grips?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back