1:6 Vader Project & Digital Scan project

I've written off the third modeler. No point in dragging it on when he doesn't even want to reply to my mails and he's been spotted posting on other forums. Well, at least I know he's all right, but still.

Second modeler had to back out due to work commitments. I knew he was busy and it was a long shot, but I liked his work and tried to hold on to him for as long as I could. He may be available after summer, but it's still uncertain.

This means I have a guy working on the helmet(s) only. I don't want to push anything else on him, as he also has his own stuff to do and only agreed to do the helmet. And another guy working on perfecting the chest and belt boxes and doing the saber.

So, that basically means I'm left with either finding someone new to do the shoulder armor, bells and shins, or, just have the fused scans printed as-is and do the work manually on the physical objects. May have an option presenting itself... but it's still too early to say.

And I've learned an awful lot about how the 3D modeling is done... and most of it is still way over my head. Basically, initially I just assumed that to make a new wireframe of the scan it was basically just like vac-forming a grid down over the scan, conforming to the shapes and then being able to just manipulate the wireframe afterwards and then give it a solid surface. How WRONG I was.

So, with this snag, it may take even longer before things are ready for printing, so I can continue with the body sculpt. Man... if only I had the patience and drive to learn 3D modeling, so I could do some of the work myself.

Last edited:
I've written off the third modeler. No point in dragging it on when he doesn't even want to reply to my mails and he's been spotted posting on other forums. Well, at least I know he's all right, but still.

Second modeler had to back out due to work commitments. I knew he was busy and it was a long shot, but I liked his work and tried to hold on to him for as long as I could. He may be available after summer, but it's still uncertain.

This means I have a guy working on the helmet(s) only. I don't want to push anything else on him, as he also has his own stuff to do and only agreed to do the helmet. And another guy working on perfecting the chest and belt boxes and doing the saber.

So, that basically means I'm left with either finding someone new to do the shoulder armor, bells and shins, or, just have the fused scans printed as-is and do the work manually on the physical objects. May have an option presenting itself... but it's still too early to say.

And I've learned an awful lot about how the 3D modeling is done... and most of it is still way over my head. Basically, initially I just assumed that to make a new wireframe of the scan it was basically just like vac-forming a grid down over the scan, conforming to the shapes and then being able to just manipulate the wireframe afterwards and then give it a solid surface. How WRONG I was.

So, with this snag, it may take even longer before things are ready for printing, so I can continue with the body sculpt. Man... if only I had the patience and drive to learn 3D modeling, so I could do some of the work myself.

really sorry to hear your having these issues mate, i expect they are killing me on sideshow forums, but ill be back there soon, i know oh too well how the 'perfectionist bug' can bite this is why no ones seen anything from me for such a while,(as well as family health issues plus my own dance with the devil ) im currently brass etching as much of the detailing as i can ,but ive just descided to redo all the brow vents (?),i think im coming obsessed, maybe once some finals are complete of my own helmets i could send you one then if you felt it needed it you could adapt/alter to suit your own needs :thumbsup
i must admit that this thread has made completetly rethink my own vaders, both armor and helmets...and ive gone cross eyed studying all my ref plus your great 3d scans, thanks for giving me massive inspiration

Been a while since I've updated here. It's been a really strange ride. Helmet modeler vanished as well - really hope nothing serious has happened. Got word back from the armor modeler, so we are cool there. But this means there will be no refined helmet and chest armor and shin models printed - it will be the rough scan models and the flaws will have to be fixed on the prints instead. It's a set-back that I could have lived without, but I'm not gonna wait any longer, as things has already taken too long and thrown me a big curve-ball of too many stomach punches already - both with this project and with other things.

There's been a lot of guys in and out of this project helping out, it has had its problems, but the guys who stuck with me - I couldn't have gotten to this point without you.

The project as it stands. Scans and chest box and belt box models.
EDIT: Picture link removed because of the new PhotoBucket.

Since the helmet modeler vanished all those bits and pieces he created had to be remade by another guy and he's been awesome to pick up, recreate and improve what had been done before - mostly starting from scratch as I never got any of those files.

We are talking grills, tusks, bits and pieces and without complaint and always delivering.

I made the basic shape body from Dave Prowse's measurements in MakeHuman and had the modeler rescale it to the armor parts. The body will need refining work done on it, so it will be a proper Dave Prowse figure and not just a basic shaped human figure. Here it is with the armor parts roughly put in place on the body just to gauge whether it looked good. And next to it is the current look of the print compared to the Kaiyodo Vader vinyl kit, with some of the repositioning having already been done:

And to make sure the lenses are accurate I scanned a lens mold I had, with permission and will be used to get the lenses accurate in the sculpt.

The figure will also have movie specific lightsabers and these are the finished versions.

And there have been made metal bits and soft parts for this creation by various people that I will then implement and make a part of the sculpt, so all in all, it's turning out to be pretty damn awesome, in my opinion - THE Vader figure I'd always wanted.

Last edited:
I know it's a few steps ahead Carsten but have you thought about how this will be displayed? Not necessarily anything Vader-scenic, but protective case/stand wise.

Been a while since I updated this. Been busy working on the parts that has been printed. Anyway, here's something to show off.

The first picture shows all the printed parts, except the two movie specific finished lightsabers - an initial split up dud print is however included in the line-up.

Removed at demand.

Second picture shows the insanity of the project. Due to various reasons it was decided to print the tips separately and this is to show just how small they are.

Removed at demand.

Third is a painted up dud cast. Looks pretty snassy to me. The black is rather glossy, but it doesn't show up that way in pictures.

Removed at demand.

Fourth is the printed Prowse body that was created based on his measurements. It will be covered from top to toe so some of the inaccuracies of the MakeHuman body is acceptable. By mistake I had it printed too large, so a second, revised and more accurately scaled version has been printed and will be shipped to me shortly.

Removed at demand.

And lastly, here is a basic shape Prowse head that will be printed and worked on after it's been molded and cast in order to create the perfect likeness.

Removed at demand.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Last edited:
Wow, those pictures are totally worth the wait.

I had my Sideshow out the other day and I was wishing I had more accurate armor, shins, and helmet.

Current progress:

X6RPqO2.jpg

F0MZz3h.jpg

b2tfNvN.jpg

I ask this question with the up most caution..... What size is the big Vader at TRU? I see that you started this thread in 2006.

Not sure what TRU means, but the Vader I'm making is sixth scale. It's standing next to a Marmit 12" Stormtrooper. Hope that's what you are asking.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back