ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

I think Carson may be referring to the difference between these blaster images.

The auction gun (propstore) has a busted mount with two screws holding it on as well as a badly chipped (chunk missing) from the front mount nut among other damage and casting anomalies that do not match the stunt in the holster image.

May be two casts. Could they have done such damage to the holster stunt before putting it up for auction? Is the holster stunt still on display somewhere.?

The stunt guns in the images of Vader force pulling the gun from Han is a different style blaster (ESB) with the big flat mount but Han "may" have touched it.:) But it is not Hans Blaster is my point.:D...not $200Gs worth anyway.:D

DSC_5235_zps1be0ac64.jpg~original

2642-0014-13-003c_zps5890dba3.jpg~original

Last edited:
Pat posted one of the images I was referring to, the holstered blaster was still on display in 2012 so it's definitely a second stunt. Rymo photographed it as well as some landspeeder dash photos for us to use around that time, and if I remember right the traveling exhibit was on it's last stop too when those photos were taken. Star Wars exhibit Props, Models, Costumes - Lots of Pics

I think the Prop Store/Profiles blaster that's on auction may have originally come from a display in the lobby of Lucas' Skywalker ranch. Here's a photo I found a ways back of the Ranch blaster's FH which appears to match the Auction blaster:

ESBstuntFH_zps5abf2188.png~original

-Carson

Ahh, I missed that holstered stunt when it was posted.
Back when the Magic of Myth tour was going around they had ROTJ Hero blasters in the holsters (even Luke Hoth).

The Prop Store blaster was purchased from Steve Sansweet who owned it for at least a decade (probably longer).
Any idea when the stunt blaster was on display at the Ranch? I've been a couple times. I didn't see it there, but the last time I looked in the main house display case was 14 years ago. The museum tour stunt blaster may have been the one from the Ranch or maybe just an identical one they dug up around the same time.

The stunt guns in the images of Vader force pulling the gun from Han is a different style blaster (ESB) with the big flat mount but Han "may" have touched it.:) But it is not Hans Blaster is my point.:D...not $200Gs worth anyway.:D

As I mentioned earlier, it is a Hero blaster in the ESB publicity still from auction catalog, but this style stunt is used in that scene.
It starts out with Han shooting a blank-firing ESB Hero blaster then cuts to a resin stunt flying through the air. The one in Vader's glove is a resin stunt like this.
It is Han's blaster. We'll see if the bidding actually goes that high though.

I'm still reading through the entire thread, but I had a thought on the size disparity between the original Mauser and the MGC replica... The Chinese made their C96 copies chambered for .45ACP. I think they scaled the entire thing up slightly to accomodate the larger rounds. Could be Japan's Model Gun Corp used that as the basis for their replica, rather than the German original...

--Jonah

good thought but from what we have found, the MGC and real C96 are actually very close in size. Only a few minor areas of difference ant that is only about 1/6 inch off.

All the same kit parts fit the Real, MGC and Denix as well.

I think the .45 version is much bigger.

I'm still reading through the entire thread, but I had a thought on the size disparity between the original Mauser and the MGC replica... The Chinese made their C96 copies chambered for .45ACP. I think they scaled the entire thing up slightly to accomodate the larger rounds. Could be Japan's Model Gun Corp used that as the basis for their replica, rather than the German original...

--Jonah

The only thing I remember looking different from the outside is a fatter barrel. I know the German action will fit in a Chinese frame (for people who like more stopping power, but want a gun that will actually not break on them). So the main upper and lower body pieces may just be a smidge bigger. I'd have to actually see German and Chinese versions side by side.

--Jonah

Still a bit shy of halfway through the thread, but I wanted to posit something else before I forget. With the scope mount thumb-screw -- might it be 5/8" and the additional 1/32" increase in radius due to the material displacement of machining in the knurling? Seems more likely than 11/16" or 17mm. Just a thought, based on nothing but much time spent in hardware stores.

--Jonah

I am sorry about my previous post, I had too much excitement and not enough reading. I have now begun my epic journey of the DL-44 thread. Thank you all for your input and expertise, it is totally rad to be able to share this information with such cool folks.

Last edited:
The Prop Store blaster was purchased from Steve Sansweet who owned it for at least a decade (probably longer).
Any idea when the stunt blaster was on display at the Ranch?

I remember seeing a photo of the whole display with that blaster in there but I can't seem to find that photo anymore, I'm not too sure when it was on display there though. For some reason 2005 comes to mind but that might just have been when the photos were put up online.

-Carson

Those are great pics of the ESB stunt blaster. You can clearly see it has the same tapered thumb nut(s) as the Bespin blaster.

Anyone have an idea what this surface of the scope lens is from:

attachment.php

It's obviously not from the M-19 scope, and was placed there purposely by the prop dept. I've been looking for a disc or whatever, that has that texture, for a while, for another project. It kinda looks like the texture on the inside of a reflector(like from a bicycle)

There's been a few requests lately for 3D printed Veron parts, so I uploaded accurate Cylinder and Pushrod models to Shapeways for you guys to print off if you want. I'm not sure how well printing will capture the finer details of the parts but they should do okay. There's also a Cylinder halve model on there as well for use on Merr Sonn replicas.

Shapeways - Printed Veron Replicas

Have a great Holiday everyone!

-Carson

There's been a few requests lately for 3D printed Veron parts, so I uploaded accurate Cylinder and Pushrod models to Shapeways for you guys to print off if you want. I'm not sure how well printing will capture the finer details of the parts but they should do okay. There's also a Cylinder halve model on there as well for use on Merr Sonn replicas.

Shapeways - Printed Veron Replicas

-Carson

This is awesome, thanks !! I was hoping to pick up the real part for a comlink build but this is just as good.

I have been reading through here for some time now and I have deiced its time to finally try to put one together. I was wondering if any one knew where I should start buying from and if there is any ideas on how much a project like this would cost?

deadbolt: Loving that shop and all its options. What do you know about the plastics other than te "high-detail" range it defaults to? I'll do the cylinder halves in that in black if need be, but if the metallic plastics are any good I'm considering that. For the pushrods, I'm going with black regardless. :) Have you thought of putting any of the other simple pieces up on there, if this does well?

Different thought -- the makers of this thread have asked folks to post pics of their ANH Hero DL-44 builds. Do y'all want to see my build, if I'm doing one of the Merr-Sonns? And more (and this may get me tarred and feathered on this site), do y'all want to see it if I'm making a prop that isn't 110% accurate to the film prop, but trying to make a Hero blaster that can stand up to scrutiny? The blaster I'd build if I were doing a Star Wars film now. Inside-the-barrel details, no sloppy cutoff angle of the end of the barrel, better paint apps, no sloppiness with the glue... Things like that. I'm even planning to replace the "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER" with "MERR-SONN MUNITIONS" in aurebesh. Fine if people think that isn't appropriate for the REPLICA props forum. I'll only show it off if there's interest. :)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to post pictures of your replica, everybody loves seeing a good blaster build!

As for the printed plastics, I've used the ultra detail before but I haven't had a chance to use the other plastics that shapeways offers, the ultra detail is pretty nice detail-wise but it's fairly weak and brittle and discolors over time. The strong and flexible range looks a bit grainy for parts this size but the black detail plastic that it defaults to looks like it might be a good medium ground material between strength and detail. I'm not sure about how the metallic plastics would look though.
The unpolished sterling silver process they use is very nice and surprisingly detailed, but that would be pretty expensive for the cylinder parts. ..Though a sterling silver cylinder would be pretty neat to have. :p

Post some pictures if any of you guys decide to print some of the parts! I'd love to see how they turn out.

Also, Happy New Year everyone!

-Carson

With so many of working on our replicas now with the beautiful Dark Energy parts, can I solicit finishing advice from the experts? I am working with a Denix Mauser and aluminum parts. I have gleaned from this thread that aluminum black followed by vinegar works well on the flash suppressor. Gloss black lacquer for everything else followed by steel wool weathering to take down the gloss and expose the metal on the high spots? Mask the scope knob numbers so they stay brass? Tung oil on the wooden grips?

Thanks for the input!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back