Predators - Royce Costume

And I'm done. Minus a thigh strap and some dirt. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419288829.803093.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419288841.618490.jpg

### Holy Thread Revival Batman! ###

Hi guys, as some of you may / may not know the airsoft manufacturer Tokyo Mauri has been working on a AA12 AEG.
Being an airsofter as well as a[n Aliens & related] prop collector, of course I’ve wanted one of these forever.

I've got one on pre-order. RAAAY!!!!
[I used WGC but there are a few airsoft webstores with em. http://www.wgcshop.com/products?item=tokyo-marui-aa12-electic-shotgun ].

So as an excuse to use one of these bad boys in plastic-spewing anger (as it were), I'm putting together a Royce loadout . Only 2 years late to the party :D

As it’s going to be roughly treated, and I already have some similar items that I currently use for gaming, I'm probably aiming for 80%+ screen accurate.
This is what I currently have –
TM AA-12 [on pre-order]
Tan Eaiming Weapon Light Tactical Vertical Foregrip
Black Viking Tactic VTAC Sling adaptor
Black M60 padded sling (looks pretty similar to screen used one).
3 rolls of ACU self-grip tape
Tan Blackhawk tactical vest [pretty much a clone of the Condor]
Generic clone tan tactical belt
Tan Condor Flashbang pouches [2]
Tan Condor 12rd shotgun ammo pouch
Generic tan shemagh
Grey PIG Alpha Gloves (obviously not screen accurate but are part of my normal airsoft loadout)

Next on the list of things to sort is the 3GunGear shell panels & pouch set (will do that in the next couple of days) and a drum mag for the AA-12 (these are not available to pre-order, but I expect them to be in a month or so).

Other bits like a tan dropleg holster, 5.11 pants / shirt etc I’ll get as budget allows in the future. I also plan on getting a Tops 107C Steel Eagle knife at some point too (and asking a mate to resin cast it so I can carry a field-safe version). Not too sure on the machete … might try and mock one up for Con use only.

One thing I am stuck on - the rail adaptor attached to the barrel of the AA-12!?!? Anyone have any ideas on what it is / where to source one?

Last edited:
3gungear will not answer a phone or an email. GOOD luck. I had my set made by wild tactical gear.
https://www.facebook.com/Wilde-Custom-Gear-164719430213301/

For the rail adapter... Art Andrews just commissioned one to be made by a friend of ours... I'm not sure jf he is a member here but he goes by jodo kast on the dented Helemet. My AA12 has it cast into the front of the rifle. And I added the rails to it carefully. I'd assume it wasn't cheap to have it machined though.

Don't use grip tape on the rifle try and get a sheet of printed acu vinyl like you use on a car for a wrap.

The machete Art may still have a rubber one from when he had a bunch made. I got one from a mutual friend. The steel eagle is a really nice knife. Actually forgot I had it sitting in my closet...and art came up with a nice way to lock it into the sheath. Check out that part where he puts a screw through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Cheers for the warning.

There’s a firm here that make custom webbing, etc, but they’ll need the dimensions of the drum (which I don’t have yet). I’ll try them 1st, failing that, WTG look like they have their ****** together so again, thank you for the info.

Is the printed vinyl stuff removable / reusable though? I’d rather not have a permanently ACU AA-12 …

Will ping Art now and see what he’s got :)

Excellent! Cheers for the warning.

There’s a firm here that make custom webbing, etc, but they’ll need the dimensions of the drum (which I don’t have yet). I’ll try them 1st, failing that, WTG look like they have their ****** together so again, thank you for the info.

Is the printed vinyl stuff removable / reusable though? I’d rather not have a permanently ACU AA-12 …

Will ping Art now and see what he’s got :)

Hey, i have a few items from the costume i gave up on do to medical problems. I have a vest, the shot gun shell holders from the front of the vest as well as the pants and top.

I can post photos when i get home in an hour

Hey Kal, I'd certainly be keen on the shell holders if they're reasonably screen accurate (8 loop, right colour) and possibly the shirt n' pants too depending on your size ... I'm 6'5" ...

Cheers for the offer :)
Maybe PM me some details to keep this thread clean.

The shirt runs quite large...like I almost swim in a medium. And I'm 6" 185lb. The vinyl is a sticker basically. You can remove it if you really wanted to...but you'd want to use heat to make sure the adhesive went with the sticker and not left on the rifle.

Did some research on the vinyl sticker stuff and found out that it's removable as you've said. Genius! Wish I'd gotten this rather than the tape. Anyone need some ACU fabric tape? :)

Hello! first time RPF user here but long time lurker(mainly for this thread in particular).

I too am putting together a Royce costume for Airsoft/conventions/halloween fun.

Parts i have include:
-Shirt & Pants
-correct screen used vest
-holster
-flashbang pouches
-belts
-gloves
-M1911

Things i need:
-AA12
-scarf
-boots
-vest shell holders
-drum mag pouch
-knives
-watch & bracelet

all being said, i could really use some pointers on the drum pouch and front shell holders, i too ran into the 3gun gear problem and my custom gear maker is swamped with orders.
any and all friendly pointers are most welcome!

Chiming in as number 3 currently working on a Royce loadout for airsoft! This thread has been invaluable in putting the loadout together. A big thanks to everybody that has contributed up to this point!

Currently on the hunt for some adhesive vinyl for the AA-12. Can someone confirm that is UCP camo and not ACU?

I work as a CNC machinist (using wood) and could make the underbarrel rails. I would CNC the body of it out of MDF and attach a bought 20mm rail. In order to do that I'd need measurements, or resort to guesswork. I haven't yet ordered the AA12 so have no idea on the OD of the Tokyo Marui outer barrel. The options for the barrel clamp are either embed nuts in the MDF, or cast the whole piece. I don't have any mould making experience but it's definitely something I could learn!

When researching I came across the below image in popularairsoft.com, courtesy of hyperdouraku. Marui themselves seem to at least have a prototype rail system for the AA12. Interestingly, this version also has an extended outer barrel - which might be integrated to it. The top rail is bolted on and wouldn't be useful for Royce. The top portion of their barrel clamp has a chamfered edge, unlike the original. The side mounted rails would have to go as well, all before repainting (or stripping, if it's aluminium). It may be cheaper for me to make them up than buy one of those if they ever appear.

hyperdouraku_tm_aa12_aes_mount.jpg

SHORT VERSION:
- Gun camo: ACU or UCP?
- I may be able to make the underbarrel rails. Could someone measure up their existing rail?
- Marui at least have a prototype of their own. Would be more sturdy, but require modification.

Last edited:
I'd wait for the TM AA12 to get to you since no one has one here to know for sure the dimensions of the barrel placement etc...
The camo pattern is kinda funky...they used a pattern and repeated it over and over if that makes sense. I cut up the wrap I was able to get ahold of. It's the same pattern used on the screen used one.

I think it's only the outer barrel diameter that is truly unknown at this point, at least until I get my hands on one. Other dimensions labelled below would be able to be measured from an existing prop or replica if somebody would kindly oblige!

2KdMLkC.png

ZlodY9J.png

wP6tzdM.png
Dimensions I, J are the drill hole locations in the top part of the clamp for the mounting screws. These are assumed to be common locations as drawn.
The design excludes the 20mm mounting rail itself as I intend to bolt an existing one to the part.

Fett, does that mean that the camo was a custom design? If it's their own repeating pattern then it wouldn't be cost effective for me to reproduce. I'd just go with UCP camo as mentioned on IMFDB. I'm inclined to try hydrodipping mine. That depends on how much the film stretches with the awkward shape of the body, though.

I think it's only the outer barrel diameter that is truly unknown at this point, at least until I get my hands on one. Other dimensions labelled below would be able to be measured from an existing prop or replica if somebody would kindly oblige!

View attachment 587971

View attachment 587973

View attachment 587974
Dimensions I, J are the drill hole locations in the top part of the clamp for the mounting screws. These are assumed to be common locations as drawn.
The design excludes the 20mm mounting rail itself as I intend to bolt an existing one to the part.

Fett, does that mean that the camo was a custom design? If it's their own repeating pattern then it wouldn't be cost effective for me to reproduce. I'd just go with UCP camo as mentioned on IMFDB. I'm inclined to try hydrodipping mine. That depends on how much the film stretches with the awkward shape of the body, though.

They actually wrapped the original with a printed vinyl.. Art Andrews might could talk more on where the pattern came from...I'm not home for another month but maybe Art could measure his adapter...

They actually wrapped the original with a printed vinyl.. @Art Andrews might could talk more on where the pattern came from...I'm not home for another month but maybe Art could measure his adapter...

As F4R said, the original was a custom print pattern on vinyl... it is "custom" in so much as they scanned in a huge swatch of cloth, photoshopped it (very poorly) to break up the pattern a bit and then printed it out. It was very cheaply and quickly done, so it is not the kind of quality you might think. Beyond that, the print wears off the vinyl easily, so you can see rub and wear marks in numerous places from filming.

The diameter of my screen used stunt shotgun is 21.44mm... but if you are making a replica, you really should be using the diameter of whatever the barrel is on your replica shotgun.

I don't think I have posted this here, but I recently had an aluminum mount created for my screen used shotgun. Here it is.

predators-royce-screen-used-stunt-shotgun.jpg

Art, that was exactly my plan! Create a rail with dimensions as close to the original as possible, and adjust for the replica's barrel diameter. It'll be interesting to see how much difference there is with the replica. The info on the camo is appreciated. I've decided to go with UCP vinyl for the time being. I could have a similar pattern made later if necessary. Would it be possible for you to measure the below dimensions from your rail for me please? (Drawing updated since last post).

kFCgC57.png

I've accepted I won't get a perfectly accurate costume. I can't find the proper Giro Bravos anywhere! I did manage to grab a grey pair in the right style so I'm reasonably satisfied with those as a stand-in.

Art, do you have any replica machetes left?

Hey ReisMakes i too am planning on the TM AA12 when it comes in stock near me. have you been able to find a good vinyl for the wrap? all the sites i find them at are slightly off in pattern. Also, on that front block with the picatinny rail, are you planning on a aluminum build? if so i would be interested as well on that. so far the AA12 is the only thing in my way for this build. im just waiting on my shell carriers and drum pouch.

That's the gun Art bought isn't it Fett? Very useful reference. JAEGER, the closest I've been able to find is US ARMY UCP Pattern. ACU Camo has more light grey. As stated above, the pattern was actually created just for the film. UCP features darker green tones but for me it's workable.

Sample:
13.jpg

As for sourcing it I've found this site that does specified size rolls in a very wide range of camouflages in removable and permanant varieties. I'll work out how much I need when I get the AA-12 in hand. http://www.camoskinz.com/bulk-camo-kits.htm

Finally, the front rail. I'll be machining one out of wood and will be attempting to sand cast it in aluminium. If I straight up bought billet aluminium the cost would go up exponentially. Billet isn't cheap, and with metal the machining time is longer. I can build a back garden forge for under £50 and melt scrap from drinks cans or one of the local machine shops. I'll post the process here as I explore it, and make them available if it is viable. I would be casting the main body and screwing on a bought picatinny rail. It's not efficient to machine the entire part in wood as it would require more tooling, lengthen the process and up the machine time. Simple solution is drill and tap the cast piece. I should be able to get the surface relatively clean, and take it back with a sander to a nice flat.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back