The Revell Snap tight kit (Standard Tie)

Really, I see folks decrying the AMT TIE Fighter 'pairs' kit, but they look okay to me. Where / what is their dimensional "crime" - need specifics...

Cheers! Robert

Robn1, been off this a while but got chewing it again after seeing Ep. VII & the First Order 2-seater TIES (and thinking "those must be larger to hold two crew - but how much?") However, I think you meant the AMT kit 'wings' are too narrow. Checking various sources here & elsewhere, it appears that the height x width proportions are off by about 4% (3.22% actually) on the width. This difference, while subtle, would be difficult to correct by simply splicing in extensions to the panel and 'rib' detail. The panel pattern is perpendicular to the edges, so changing the side angles would require removing and altering not only the panel sizes but also the pattern orientation, hence full removal & replacement. But! Since only one altered panel master would be needed, cast 4 times, or one complete side, cast twice, I might actually attempt it. However, we're talking about about an 0.1588 inch total width increase, or roughly 5/32nds. That would be tough to pull off using traditional means.

Still, less than 4% doesn't really rate a label of 'wretched & completely wrong' by my accounting... and perhaps not really worth the effort. Perhaps there is another problem not yet identified?

Regards, Robert

Well I never built mine, and I haven't laid eyes on it in at least 25 years. Hard to remember specifics, but I remember the wings looked odd to me at the time. Not bad really, and could still make a nice model. I'd build it as is, if it seems off call it a different TIE variant.

If you want one more correct go with the Revell, much cheaper and easier than modding molding and casting.

Robn1, I did indeed find your recommended Revell 'odd-ball' scale kit, #85-1875 (has an 'actual size' image of the pilot & Vader reaching on the box) at the local Hobbytown. It was priced at $31 ($25 at ToysRUs, as I found later...dang) It is nicely molded, strangely finished (pale gray dry brushing on most of the blue-gray plastic parts...) & apparently copied the cockpit assembly - less the seat - straight from the AMT kit (just larger... by about 25%.) The wing panels are more correct, having the right angles and a raised line in the grid pattern instead of the engraved separation line in the AMT kit's parts (another failing there.) The grid pattern is of course larger and crisp, though the factory paint job is a bit heavy, obscuring that crispness in places (the cockpit floor's grill is almost completely filled in by paint.) The AMT grid pattern is extremely fine (one of the things I like) and also susceptible to paint filling. One weird thing about the Revell wing's pattern is the middle vertical 'column' on the top/ bottom sections is slightly narrower than on the rest of the section's pattern.

I think I may take a cast of the panel pattern to use for modifications such as correcting the AMT kit wings. I seem to recall it is also appropriate for the exhaust vent grills on the Hasbro Falcon...

I am thinking, however, that the Revell kit is just right for a conversion to the apparently larger TIE-SF of the First Order. The two AMT pilot figures fit nicely in the Revell ball even with allowances for the other necessary 'stuff'. But that is another thread...

One idea I hit on (reading SW Wiki) is that the AMT kit could "represent" the TIEs produced on Lothal, which had reinforced wing panels to allow for planet side landings (as seen in Rebels.) So, perhaps we have TIE/LN (Sienar) and TIE/LN (Lothal) variants which are distinguished by minor wing details... including a narrow width. Still, I'd need to convert at least one to a Standard TIE... we'll see.

Regards, Robert

I never noticed the Revell wing panel issue. I just looked at mine and still didn't see it, I was about to post that when I suddenly did see the narrow column. It's so subtle I wouldn't worry about it. The paint is odd and heavy as you say, when I build mine I'll start with a soak in Purple Power to remove the factory paint. The black panels should have a semi gloss sheen anyway. I'll probably scratch build a cockpit to match the ILM model.

Yup, I was planning on a bleach soak to get that paint loosened up. I'm using a bit of sprue with paint over spray as a compatibility test article. Don't want it turning to dust on me!

The only reason I mentioned the narrow column in the pattern was because it might be an issue if trying to piece together sections using the pattern. Doesn't really matter for anything else, as you said, rather subtle...

R/ Robert

I never noticed the Revell wing panel issue. I just looked at mine and still didn't see it, I was about to post that when I suddenly did see the narrow column. It's so subtle I wouldn't worry about it. The paint is odd and heavy as you say, when I build mine I'll start with a soak in Purple Power to remove the factory paint. The black panels should have a semi gloss sheen anyway. I'll probably scratch build a cockpit to match the ILM model.

I didn't notice the Revell wing panel issue either. All in all the Revell TIE Fighter is an excellent kit for the money. I think I paid about $16 for mine when I got it.

robn1, I have a build thread here but need to update it.

I've been modifying it to represent the studio model and am in the process of scratch building a cockpit that matches the studio model. I scratch built the over head console too but haven't taken any pictures yet.

I really wish Revell would put out models of this quality for all their Star Wars subjects. This model and other prove they can, but then they really drop the ball on others.

Revell has always been hot or miss, some good kits and some not so. I remember in the 70s I built their 1/72 Kennedy PT boat, really good detail and the Kennedy figure really looked like JFK even at 1 inch tall. But their 1/48 F-4J was awful, just formless blobs of plastic that barely resembled a Phantom when assembled.

@crowe t, awesome. This TIE kit needs some work but at least it gives you a starting point that's worth the effort. Now I just need an X and Y-wing in similar scale to match.

would anyone know what scale the hallmark ornaments are? the tie and tie interceptor wing to wing width is just over and just under 3 1/4inches each and since i dont have the '99 tie advanced i was thinking of getting the revell snaptite as its blister packaged and looks about the same scale

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back