Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

That's exactly why I can't believe someone would mention the prequels in a positive way while bashing that falcon shot! The style is established there but the shot is much stronger here. Beyond that, there's nothing to indicate that this will have a fast-and-loose shooting style. If you watch the trailers shot for shot, you'll see a string of beautiful, organic, deliberate, and most importantly, grounded compositions. Why is anyone assuming the scales will be tilted so heavily away from the dominant style we've seen so far - a style that seems absolutely perfect for STAR WARS? I'm so impressed and thrilled by how this is looking.

I'm up for anything. Just please, please, PLEASE no shaky-cam.

I'm pretty sure TPTB (especially Disney) will not allow that. They gotta know all the backlash JJ got on the Trek films with lens flare, shaky cam, etc.....
It'll be alright. Have faith in the Big Bad Rat.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont mind the shaky-cam as long its NOT over used (limited to only a few/dramatic shots). If I remember correctly, the "Escape from the Death Star" scene had a "shaky" style when the TIEs first attacked the MF? Also, the Asteriod Field in ESB had a few shakes (I love the music during the chase!). :)

It's funny, this is one of the only movies I'm not worried about sucking. As hyped as I was for "The Phantom Menace" and watched that first trailer over and over, there were elements that had me worried (little blonde vader... weird gangly CG character that looked like Goofy)

And this was after watching the re-releases which had all the distracting add-ons of unnecessary cg robots flying through every scene in Mos Eisley...

I can't find anything in these trailers that worries me.

Agreed, Neo! If this one's a stinker - or doesn't feel a lot more like the OT than what we've been subjected to since - it'll be a total surprise based on what we've seen.

Dan Mindel´s photography in "John Carter" did remind me quite a bit of the Star Wars OT.Fantastic cinematic (!) imagery, i.e. some shots that really conveyed grandeur and large scale. Sometimes the occasional "impossible shot thanks to CGI" slipped in, and I think I need to watch that movie again due to the large amount of CGI sequences in it, but that movie does fuel my hopes of getting a visually well done continuation of the OT works. His latest movie, especially the collaboration with JJ of course, may make a lot of people think differently, but I am really excited to see the movie in a movie theater near me ;)

By the way, it would be awesome to get some retro movie marketing similar to the OT ... hey, one can dream ;)

I dont mind the shaky-cam as long its NOT over used (limited to only a few/dramatic shots). If I remember correctly, the "Escape from the Death Star" scene had a "shaky" style when the TIEs first attacked the MF? Also, the Asteriod Field in ESB had a few shakes (I love the music during the chase!). :)

I don't think we have anything to worry about. A nod to Classic Hollywood Style has always been part of the aesthetic of Star Wars, and I'm sure it's just as important to JJ and crew as the much-touted practical effects.

That was nothing more than the old shaky cam to convey to the audience that the boat is really floating the water, or how heavy the earth quake was, or how hard the impact was when the Klingon photon torpedo hit the Enterprise ;) Pulling the audience a bit more into the action. But not breaking the fourth wall and including the viewer into the scene.
A camera in a documentary may shake a lot, because the photographer is right there in the middle of the action and we are meant to see what he sees. I personally do not want that style in a fantasy movie. I had a hard time to adjust to it in NuBSG, but since it was more like a war-drama, it felt okay after some time. But I do not want that in a Star Wars movie, watching the action comfortably from my seat in a movie theater or at home.

That was nothing more than the old shaky cam to convey to the audience that the boat is really floating the water, or how heavy the earth quake was, or how hard the impact was when the Klingon photon torpedo hit the Enterprise ;) Pulling the audience a bit more into the action. But not breaking the fourth wall and including the viewer into the scene.
A camera in a documentary may shake a lot, because the photographer is right there in the middle of the action and we are meant to see what he sees. I personally do not want that style in a fantasy movie. I had a hard time to adjust to it in NuBSG, but since it was more like a war-drama, it felt okay after some time. But I do not want that in a Star Wars movie, watching the action comfortably from my seat in a movie theater or at home.
Exactly. In the old style, we followed the Falcon through the asteroids as if we were a long for the ride. But in that new scene, we were more like a person standing in the desert while these monstrous ships flew over our heads, knocking us off our feet.

Breaking the fourth wall is an excellent way to put it

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well,....as I've been saying......all this time.....after seeing the first teaser.......we will be saying goodbye to the 32" stunt model.......this toy is the 5 footer through & through

....poor DeAgo collectors

J
I'm starting to see that a really nicely upgraded big hasbro falcon as the ultimate falcon. I looooooove the cooper sidewalls

The thing is, even in a documentary film the camerafilm is trying their best to keep their camera steady, the only reason that it isn't is because it's handheld instead of on a crane, dolly, etc. And this is what bugs me about of lot of shaky cam movies and shows is that they overdo it and make it look not just handheld but handheld by cameraman that's either freezing and shivering or just had 20 cups of extra strong coffee and can't keep the camera even a little steady if their life depended on it.

@Riceball is right, the overexaggeration is what pulls me out of a movie with shaky cam most of the time. Next on the list is those fast zoom in and outs. I wonder who did all of this first i.e. invented this visual style (that seems to be ao unfitting for a star wars movie).

But there is one thing that I hope for even more: a dialogue style that is not completely contemporary, e.g. "father" instead of "dad"...

EDIT: http://entertain-o-rama.com/5-film-...e-the-star-wars-universe-even-more-awesome-4/

A few questions answered. Looks like I should have watched the trailer more often, huh? Oh well ...

Last edited:
The thing is, even in a documentary film the camerafilm is trying their best to keep their camera steady, the only reason that it isn't is because it's handheld instead of on a crane, dolly, etc. And this is what bugs me about of lot of shaky cam movies and shows is that they overdo it and make it look not just handheld but handheld by cameraman that's either freezing and shivering or just had 20 cups of extra strong coffee and can't keep the camera even a little steady if their life depended on it.
It's not supposed to be the camera in a documentary. It's supposed to be a camera held by a tourist in an emergency

Exactly. Which is VERY different than the Lucas style. He wanted us to feel as if we were part of the adventure, rather than knocked over by it.

That's Michael Bay's style

I think that zoom thing I noticed a lot with Zack Snyder and it bugs the crap out of me. James Cameron did it in Avatar as well. I was bugged by that quick zoom in TFA teaser 2. Everything else looked good in terms of shots.

Put me on the list for ending overdone shaky cam.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back