Titanium Saber build

Leigh

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been itching to show you this but I keep forgetting :rolleyes Memory like a sieve.

I started to build this a few years ago & I do intend to finish it one day but for now my attention is focused elsewhere :)

Its made of Titanium, the body is going to get replaced as it was my first attempt & I know I can do better :) The body is made of grade 2 or the russian equivalent. The blade holder & clamp ring are grade 5 (6AL/4V) which is a much better Titanium but its quite difficult to machine. My plan is to remake the body in grade 9 (3AL/2.5V) as its available in tube format where as the grade 5 isn't.
The grade 9 is the next best thing to the grade 5 & should polish up to the same beautiful luster.

Also being Ti its not as light as Aluminium but way lighter that steel & it has a nice perposeful weight to it.

Heres some pic's:

0 030.jpg

0 031.jpg

0 032.jpg

I've based it on the ROTS Anakin saber & I'm making it the same size. I like that the Anakin saber is a smaller diameter than the Graflex & it feels a good size in the hand but it does make the interior a bit smaller for electronics etc. I'm planning to use a 3/4" thick walled removable blade. I havent kept up with the latest in sound boards etc & LED's so when I pick this up again I'll have some research to do :)

Last edited:
Re: My Saber WIP

Looks good so far.

I am excited to see this.. I love that saber. If i was wealthy i would have you machine me a copy as well :p

I think I'm going to need to be a bit wealthier before I can go much further with it :lol

I've got the Grade 5 to do all of the rest of the bits like the bunny ear's, activation block etc but I need to get the grade 9 to do the body again & in the size I need it its expencive.

It's a good thing you're building a saber man....you're gonna want protection from that freaky alien head in your house!:lol

I would be happy with Aluminum or Stainless steel lol

I think I'm going to need to be a bit wealthier before I can go much further with it :lol

I've got the Grade 5 to do all of the rest of the bits like the bunny ear's, activation block etc but I need to get the grade 9 to do the body again & in the size I need it its expencive.

looks awesome!

It's a good thing you're building a saber man....you're gonna want protection from that freaky alien head in your house!:lol

:lol :lol

I would be happy with Aluminum or Stainless steel lol

I'm a very amateur machinist, its something I'm interested in & want to learn but I've still got a way to go before I get any good at it. I sold my big lathe (a Leblond Regal 10", A Beautiful lathe!!) a couple of years ago so I'm just stuck with my small Randa 3" x 20" gap bed lathe & that needs some work before I can start using it. Its a good old lathe though.

I'm looking forward to getting the saber finished, its just the money involved & getting Bob finished that stopping me at the moment.

I chose Titanium for a few reasons:
I wanted something that was strong but light & could be used for dueling without worrying about it getting scratched or damaged.

It meant I could make the neck of the blade holder much thinner without the worrie of it work hardening & fracturing from use.

Titanium has a beautiful finish when polished & it doesnt tarnish or rust.

So titanium fitted the bill & is available in the form of off cuts, bar ends etc on the likes of ebay but it is difficult to machine so a bit of a challenge :)

Last edited:
Hi there,

thanks for sharing this thread as a link ... somehow it was overlooked by me ... can't wait to see it finished ... though I must admit I haven't finished my own graflex and MPP builds yet, whilest already assisting others to finish theirs ... ha,ha,ha.

Chaim

Thanks for the interest :)
Unfortunately I still have a lot of work to get finished on my current project before I can even think about firing up the Lathe again :D I will update this thread as & when I've made some more progress, I too would very much like to finish this.

:)

Small update :D :

I've been watching ebay since the last post here looking for a length of Titanium Tube to re-make the body in the right grade for a reasonable price. I'd check every couple of days or so & all this time.... no luck until now :D

I managed to order a half meter length of Grade 5 (6al-4v) Tube with 35mm Outside diameter :D It has a 3.5mm wall thickness which will need to be reduced to approximately 2mm at the end. Having to machine a little off the inside works to my advantage :) I can machine it down to the depth of the blade holder & heat sink to form a stop for the blade holder & I'll have more material to machine threads in the other end :D Its on its way from China, so I'll pop a pic up when its here :)

Yes an engineering lathe, I'm very much an amateur & I have an old lathe that needs fixing before I can crack on with this :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back