Efx has a new $300 Darth Vader (precision cast replica) Helmet

I will say, EFX is not the only one guilty here of this "sort" of thing...I guess you can say it's some good "bait..."

Folley of replica props.png

I will say, EFX is not the only one guilty here of this "sort" of thing...I guess you can say it's some good "bait..."

View attachment 628964
They've taken that from EFX though - yesterday the page for the standard line version was working, and that's how it's described - taken from the Baker molds, not a scan. The way it's worded is technically true, but omits the fact that this pull was then scanned and the EFX molds made from that data. I'm sure it was just an accidental oversight :) That pic is also not doing EFX any favors.

If Efx wasn't a ****ty company, then Gino wouldn't have to be on here badmouthing competing product. Their production manager ought to be fired. Their costumer service is absolute joke. Their website? They still list products as "in development" that have been sold out for YEARS!!

As for licensing fees.... Gino has, I think, been involved with producing an unlicensed helmet or two.

I'll tell you this. If his goal was to rubbish the competition and get people to send more money to the black hole that is his "business," it has failed. I'd be inclined to buy one of these if the product were actually available, and if Gino weren't acting like a complete ass on here. Not now. I'd rather make a helmet out of paper mache and duct tape than buy an Efx product first hand.

A very well written and poignant post. I'm blind to the EFX business tactics, I just think the helmet is really nice, which is my own opinion, and not to be construed as fact.

Let me just say that Vader politics suck! :D

I've owned several Vader helmets over the years, including a DP deluxe and a few Classic Actions...And while I've always watched the Vader discussions from the sidelines, I'm far from a Vader expert. I have no direct "loyalty" to EFX, Anovos, Don Post, Rubies, JB, Cking, Rick Baker, Gino, or anyone else involved in making Vader lids...

But I gotta say that those pics look pretty amazing...I will gladly throw down $329 for a helmet that looks that good. It does a great job at capturing the look, feel, vibe of the ANH Vader...warts and all...at a decent price point when you compare to the fiberglass version. So therefore I really can't understand all the negativity in this thread.

If you don't like, don't buy...If you do like, get in line behind me. :)

Jason

PS - Gino...dude...That website is hurting...Any updates?

I can totally understand the negativity, and I have pretty thick skin and can take a bashing on my gear. What I'm REALLY sick of is COWARDS that hide behind the internet and say unnecessarily rude comments and would NO WAY come up to me and say that stuff to my face if I walked into a brick and mortar forum and said "Hey guys, here's my new Darth Vader helmet, I really like it." So I actually feel embarrassed for rude people, as they're looking quite childish and resemble the beginnings of Idiocracy. And if any of these bashers are "makers," then they are real dandys. I studied this behavior for months on end for a project while earning my communications degree. I call it "Revenge of the Nerds - STAR WARS Style."

Good to meet at least one person with an objective and intelligent point of view.
Good day sir.

Lens perspective distortion. Unless you can match the focal length of the lens, the distance from lens to subject, and the angle, you're going to have a distorted non-matching image. The closer to the subject, and the wider angle the lens, the more perspective distortion you'll see, especially towards the edges of the frame.

Also, there is a reflection of light along the edge of the dome, which hides the true edge of the dome against the white background. So that's adding to the flattened features as well.

Thank you. Yes, it's battle with lens distortion. Major difference between a phone camera and a 1970's film camera

I can totally understand the negativity, and I have pretty thick skin and can take a bashing on my gear. What I'm REALLY sick of is COWARDS that hide behind the internet and say unnecessarily rude comments and would NO WAY come up to me and say that stuff to my face if I walked into a brick and mortar forum and said "Hey guys, here's my new Darth Vader helmet, I really like it." So I actually feel embarrassed for rude people, as they're looking quite childish and resemble the beginnings of Idiocracy. And if any of these bashers are "makers," then they are real dandys. I studied this behavior for months on end for a project while earning my communications degree. I call it "Revenge of the Nerds - STAR WARS Style."

Good to meet at least one person with an objective and intelligent point of view.
Good day sir.

Oh come on man! JUST the post before I thought you were starting to not be such a complete dingle berry, and you have to go on another bizzaro-world rant about how mean everyone is to you? Look, you seem awfully insecure, Scott - just take a chill pill already. Oh, and it's not a difference between phone cameras and 1970s lenses, it's the physics of optics. What you are battling there is the difference between whatever focal length that scene was shot at and the focal length you're shooting with. It doesn't matter if you have a sensor or celluloid behind the glass - if you don't match focal length you're going to get a very different looking result.

For a pure trooping helmet, I can see the desire for something like this EFX version, but yea you brought up a good point regarding the production in relation to the Rubies supreme. While yes, it was a bastardized version of it's former self, i.e, ESB, speaking purely about quality (not accuracy or details), it wasn't a bad "product," especially that I was able to score it brand new for $25 (I was borrowing a vader suit for a disabled child's birthday and it didn't come with a helmet! ) and with some significant amount of re-work and patience could be deemed passable to most audiences. The one key thing that's throwing me off for this EFX version is the need to have separated tubes along the faceplate. IIRC, the rubies didn't have this issue at all, or at least I don't recall many previous iterations having to make a compromise for that part of the helmet.

That being said, I didn't know there were 2 versions offered here, and assumed that the pics from Meekerscott were just "it." I am curious to see how the weathered version looks on hand VS the "display model" or if it's worth just repainting. Considering I dropped a good chunk of my tax return on a vader helmet and armor set, I don't have a need at the moment for alternatives.

I'm also modding a Rubies helmet. Nice to hear your input on that one. I think it does have potential, but have you worn it for a long time? It's torture. I have to find a way to make it more comfortable, as I'm probably going to use it for non-501st stuff. I did get the "standard" version and would probably prefer the brushed-metal look more, but that is an easy mod.

I've been watching the attacks on the product and honestly expected it.I had the rubies version but when Gino posted picks of his version, I was like finally somebody made an Affordable helmet that looks right.I got rid of the rubies and am just waiting for the website to come back on.I'm glad you like the helmet for what it is ,not what it isn't.Can you see thru the lenses?

Oh come on man! JUST the post before I thought you were starting to not be such a complete dingle berry, and you have to go on another bizzaro-world rant about how mean everyone is to you? Look, you seem awfully insecure, Scott - just take a chill pill already. Oh, and it's not a difference between phone cameras and 1970s lenses, it's the physics of optics. What you are battling there is the difference between whatever focal length that scene was shot at and the focal length you're shooting with. It doesn't matter if you have a sensor or celluloid behind the glass - if you don't match focal length you're going to get a very different looking result.

I really don't feel insecure, and I don't concern myself with being "hurt." I'm far from a pansy and I'm not "hurt" by you calling me a dingle berry. I'm just fascinated by rude people...PERIOD. That's what it is. It's really not that big of a deal to me, and I'm feeling pretty chilled. My emotions are really not in this so much, just still fascinated by the observations and had something to say about it. THIS is NOTHING, its quite petty from some of the outrageously rude behavior I've seen from other keyboard warriors. I just think it's a very interesting phenomenon but it isn't going to chap my ass as much as you think. I said my piece...let the rudeness continue, I like to watch.

I've been watching the attacks on the product and honestly expected it.I had the rubies version but when Gino posted picks of his version, I was like finally somebody made an Affordable helmet that looks right.I got rid of the rubies and am just waiting for the website to come back on.I'm glad you like the helmet for what it is ,not what it isn't.Can you see thru the lenses?

You can see BEAUTIFULLY through these lenses. However, people can also see your eyes. I'm not sure I like that. I have other lenses I may pop in or may use some "dot" screening.
I keep my Rubies around as a fun mod project and as a "beater." I think it also has sentimental value, as It's my first halfway decent helmet after having a Don Post (not Supreme) since 1978.

for those who may not know the anovos vader helmet is a Frankenstein helmet. It was made of elements from all 3 movies/ vader helmets. So if we are talking about ACCURACY then anovos may not be the best route.

---Info came from anovos rep thus dont chew me out if this isnt the case lol---

I really don't feel insecure, and I don't concern myself with being "hurt." I'm far from a pansy and I'm not "hurt" by you calling me a dingle berry. I'm just fascinated by rude people...PERIOD. That's what it is. It's really not that big of a deal to me, and I'm feeling pretty chilled. My emotions are really not in this so much, just still fascinated by the observations and had something to say about it. THIS is NOTHING, its quite petty from some of the outrageously rude behavior I've seen from other keyboard warriors. I just think it's a very interesting phenomenon but it isn't going to chap my ass as much as you think. I said my piece...let the rudeness continue, I like to watch.

I like how you did a drive by earlier in the thread calling me "rude" just for pointing out that the helmet looked like a plastic toy. You clearly have a very thin skin if you find a comment like that rude and on a forum dedicated to screen accuracy I can tell you with 100% certainty that you're going to encounter a lot worse.

Come on now let's not be nasty on here peoples.
This lid is ok for the money, a bit of work and you could fix the tube problem if you wanted.

The worst thing is it's plastic, but that is great if you want to troop. So all is even really.
If you want better then options are out there for varying amounts more from very talented people on here.
It's a hundred times better than the laughable efx trooper lid so you pays your monies and you takes your choice so the saying goes.
I'm not buying one as I'm working on a screen accurate one but never say never :)

Yep. I' have left many forums. I was in a Les Paul forum that I really liked for a really long time. People just started getting very rude and nasty about really petty things and I couldn't stomach all the negativity. I came here actually trying to see if I could get a break from negative stuff from other costuming forums, but oh well, this is the way we've evolved :) . Maybe the internet isn't so much for an old coot like me anymore. I have old school values about courtesy.

I like your analogy though, it made me laugh out loud.

Does it have the same level of accuracy of the fiberglass legend, of course not, but for the price and the fact is it injection molded, it's exceeded my expectations.

DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMET - SPECIAL EDITION - $329

It is a fantastic looking helmet especially for being injection molded. I'm curious, are those photos of a production sample or are they of a master? Either way it looks terrific :thumbsup

Cheers,

Dave

The helmet in my pics was a production sample but with my paintwork on it as a paint master.
I've seen a production sample with paintwork from the factory and it is almost identical to the paintwork of the fiberglass legend version.

I like how you did a drive by earlier in the thread calling me "rude" just for pointing out that the helmet looked like a plastic toy. You clearly have a very thin skin if you find a comment like that rude and on a forum dedicated to screen accuracy I can tell you with 100% certainty that you're going to encounter a lot worse.

Yeah, maybe I am burned out by too much of conversing this stuff. I'm very passionate about it. And oh yes I have encountered much more crazy worse. But what are we really talking about? At the end of the day it's just kids in the sand box talking about a friggin STAR WARS mask.

I guess, for me I try to talk to people on the internet the same way I would talk to them face-to-face. But it's pretty dumb of me to go on a stupid crusade to try to get people to be less harsh in their digital speech. I agree, it makes me look insecure. I don't need to read so much into what other people are saying. My perception may be magnified. So I apologize if I come across as a heavy. I love the helmet and don't honestly care what anyone else thinks. The hang-up for me is more of a global communication trait that is seen best over the net. I need to work on "acceptance." :) This is just the way things are. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back