Denix Mauser Mods and ESB Blaster Re-Build WIP

Do you remember the seller you got the brass caps from on eBay?
The work you've done so far is awesome, I'm defiantly going to try this myself. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks

A few minutes with a torch and I was able to fix the bent barrel. I forgot to take a before pic but it used to go off to the side pretty badly. So much better now.

Looks impressive, do you have any details on how you got the semicircular detail on the bottom so exact? Did you also use a pillar drill for the hole at the bottom?

Looks impressive, do you have any details on how you got the semicircular detail on the bottom so exact? Did you also use a pillar drill for the hole at the bottom?

To get the line, I glued an appropriately sized metal washer on the bottom. I used that as a guide to scribe the line. Once it was deep enough, I pried the washer off and finished things up. I just used a big countersink bit to drill the hole. Just a regular hand drill. Nothing fancy.

Looking really nice! I don't think I've ever seen such work done on a Denix.

Thanks! I've seen some great Denix mods on this site, and that's really what inspired me. The Denix is so bad, pretty much anything you do is an improvement, lol.

I cleaned up the knurling on the hammer and the bolt. They must mold a lot of these parts in two pieces because the knurling on the hammer didn't line up at all. I pretty much had to obliterate what was there and make new grooves with a small triangular file.

Also started to reshape that blocky trigger.

matty matt, you are making me want to get one of these.

I talk a lot of trash about the Denix, but don't get me wrong. They're a neat replica gun at a great price. They just have a lot of quality/accuracy problems for our standards. This is actually a fun project and I'm glad I took it on.

I spent a little more time refining the trigger and I think I have it to a point that I'm happy with it. This was all hand filing again.

IMG_1269_zpspfh0euo8.jpg

If you think about it, the areas where the denix is wrong is mostly solved by removing material. It's like when a sculptor sees the statue within the rock... within a denix, is an MGC at least ;):lol. Will be doing all of this with mine one day.

Would mixing aluminium powder in with the JB weld help with the little spot fills being blued? Or a cold cast aluminium filler? I hate those holes where the pins go on the denix.

Thanks guys. I have no way of milling the extractor so I had to get a little creative. I found a thin, flat piece of metal and hand cut the shape. Blued it with perma blue and just set it on the bolt for this pic. It will have to sit on top of the bolt instead of being recessed, but it will have to do. It's pretty thin and shouldn't affect the functionality. Looking at pics of real mausers, there seems to be a lot of variation so I just eyeballed it. I'm trying not to kill myself with these details, lol.

"trying not to kill yourself"......well you're killing every Denix conversion ever done :lol That flat piece is ingenious in its simplicity, yet nobody in the 16 years I've been coming here has done that. It's your attention to detail that has everyone's attention. You can't stop now....you've raised the bar!

If you think about it, the areas where the denix is wrong is mostly solved by removing material. It's like when a sculptor sees the statue within the rock... within a denix, is an MGC at least ;):lol. Will be doing all of this with mine one day.

Would mixing aluminium powder in with the JB weld help with the little spot fills being blued? Or a cold cast aluminium filler? I hate those holes where the pins go on the denix.

JB Weld already contains steel, so if it can't be blued now I don't think it can be. Not sure about other fillers. I guess the only way to know is to try it! Yeah, those pins are ugly. I was able to file the two lower ones flush and they look pretty good.

"trying not to kill yourself"......well you're killing every Denix conversion ever done :lol That flat piece is ingenious in its simplicity, yet nobody in the 16 years I've been coming here has done that. It's your attention to detail that has everyone's attention. You can't stop now....you've raised the bar!

Wow! Thanks for the great compliments! Hopefully some people will find some of these ideas useful and we'll see some more Denix mods around here. I'm just getting warmed up. Lots more work to do! :D

Ah yes, filing them flush sounds good, they should take the bluing. Might even experiment with aluminium/steel pins of the same diameter and see how well their bluing blends with the gun. Lots of good ideas here. I'm moving country and daren't try and move a gun replica with me though, so it will be a year or 2 before I try this :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back