Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

here is the IMDB info on this subject... (of course the IMDB can be edited by unauthorized persons but its still there and not redacted so take with a grain of salt.. but may very well be true)

George Lucas asked Lawrence Kasdan to write the script (and possibly for Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith(2005) as well), but he turned it down because he thought with Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), Lucas's relationship to the movies had taken one step back and that he alone should take responsibility and make exactly the movie he wanted to make.
George Lucas approached David Hare to write the screenplay and even co-direct the film. Lucas confessed he had reservations about working with the actors, and hoped that he could focus on the action while Hare focused on the acting. Hare declined.

Frank Darabont was originally slated to be writing the script at one point, as was Carrie Fisher, who was said to be helping out as a script doctor.

I don't doubt it. Any of it. But why, prior to Episode I, would anyone have tried to distance themselves from him/his work? I wasn't aware of his "bad" reputation until the advent of the prequels...:confused

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't doubt it. Any of it. But why, prior to Episode I, would anyone have tried to distance themselves from him/his work? I wasn't aware of his "bad" reputation until the advent of the prequels...:confused

I don't think that is what they were saying... it says "Lucas's relationship to the movies had taken one step back" meaning, his involvement wasn't 100% and he had later reservations about that and some resentment... and they were aware (as we fans are) that Lucas was not entirely thrilled with the darkness and direction ESB went. Even though it is the fan's favorite it is not Lucas' favorite. he wasn't happy with some of the story and how it was directed.. too dark. as for Return of the Jedi, Gary Kurtz quit due to the direction the film was going (too cartoony and campy for his tastes) so I think many didn't want to work with GL on the new movies due to GL not being easy to work with.

It sounds a lot like the Stanley Kubrick and Stephen King affair with "The Shining"...

All I know is that right now I'm trying to figure out how I can come up with the necessary funds
between now and 2017 to procure the hot, Hot, HOTTTT!!! Ford GT...

http://youtu.be/3C-qSRnqUZg

Oh, I'm sorry. This is a Star Wars forum, correct? :D

Way back on topic... :)

Last edited:
...of course the Behind the Scenes footage we've seen is all edited and approved by Lucasfilm. It's not like we have people dissenting with Uncle George on officially released footage from the OT.

Undoubtedly, I'm just pointing out that until you hear from some of the people you're just putting your own assumptions on it. Everything I've read, including every behind the scenes book (again edited by Lucasfilm) on the movies and a lot of interviews of Dave Filoni (Clone Wars) says the opposite. He's the boss though, so I don't know why people would be surprised if he had a vision and went with it. He was hiring people to come up with his vision, not for them to tell him their vision.

GTY_carrie_fisher_16x9_sk_140515_16x9_992.jpg

(^ left one of course)
GTY_mark_hamill_jef_140606_16x9_992.jpg

image.jpg

I don't think that is what they were saying... it says "Lucas's relationship to the movies had taken one step back" meaning, his involvement wasn't 100% and he had later reservations about that and some resentment... and they were aware (as we fans are) that Lucas was not entirely thrilled with the darkness and direction ESB went. Even though it is the fan's favorite it is not Lucas' favorite. he wasn't happy with some of the story and how it was directed.. too dark. as for Return of the Jedi, Gary Kurtz quit due to the direction the film was going (too cartoony and campy for his tastes) so I think many didn't want to work with GL on the new movies due to GL not being easy to work with.

As much as I love ESB, ANH still is a singular masterpiece of standalone cinema. That was what GL was capable of when his back was to the wall. He never would have made ESB the same way Kirsch did but that difference made it special. In regards to the PT, they were as much about technical advancement for GL as storytelling.

..................................................................................................................

Last edited:
Lucas originally wanted to be a race-car driver. His eyes were too bad for that so he became his local track photographer. In that role, he worked side-by-side with the guy who filmed the races and became fascinated with what you could do with that medium. He went to USC to become a film editor, because of how much control the editing process has on what the audience actually sees. Several paragraphs here about the next several years. The takeaway is that he doesn't like writing or directing, but felt he had to in order to ensure he got the raw material he wanted in the editing booth. Whenever you bring someone else in on a project, you're reliant on your ability to get across to them what you need. That's why George considers ESB to be the weakest of the six films he was directly involved in. That's why, after that film, he micromanaged Marquand so badly on ROTJ that the man quit shortly after principle photography wrapped. I see what Kasdan said about passing on AOTC and ROTS. After letting the writers and director have more control over the process on ESB, he pulled it back in much tighter to himself on ROTJ. I've read the story session transcripts in the Making Of ROTJ, and it's fascinating to see how much of it boils down to him essentially saying "that's a good idea, but we'll do it my way" to Kasdan and Marquand.

Regarding the "yes men" issue. He said in an interview after TPM came out, regarding how no one will tell him no, that "if one person had said Jar-Jar was a bad idea, he probably wouldn't have been in the film". You get caught in the bubble when you're working on a project like that. You don't have the distance an audience coming into it for the first time has. My biggest wish through most of the history of Star Wars has been that George had kept an assistant around whose role was to remind him of what he'd said before when he contradicted himself, and to proofread late draft scripts to point out blind spots, challenge the things no one thinks to challenge. That's why I love writers' roundtables. By having someone force me to explain or justify why I did what I did, I spot weak spots in my stories that I'd utterly missed. Some things I insist on keeping, some things get reworked, some things I realize I started from a bad premise and I have to start from scratch. But for the last three decades, George has been more and more insulated inside the echo chamber of his own ideas that no one will make the attempt to break him out of, and that's he most insidious trap a creative person can find themselves in...

--Jonah

I'm one of the few that would prefer Lucas be in charge of this.

Mostly, because I really hate JJ Abrams. I believe that star wars is just as much of a film style as it is a story. (A style which looks like it will be thrown under the bus. That falcon clip may make good trailer, but it ain't star wars) Even in the prequels, George nailed that style. The Clone wars nailed that style.

I firmly believe that George was simply living in a tired, rusty bubble when he did the prequels. He was so out of touch.

But time has told him how bad they were. And he probably sold to Disney because he was scared to do that again. But considering how good many of the clone wars stories were (note that the bad episodes were the silly side stories. All of the central episodes were brilliant), I believe that under his name, this trilogy could have been great

As he isnt here anymore to chime in, Jet Beetle (Paul Hernandez) had met with the powers that be a couple times. I know he met at LFL to ghost write for the SW tv series that was to film back around EP3 (some preliminary ultra low budget tv pilots were actually shot) as well as talk of a new SW movie. This was obviously some years ago. The guy also had some other inside info as he kept semi joking Disney would one day own SW much sooner than later. He wasnt too keen on being a ghost writer as the bits he did submit were full of notes as in "change of outfit here, add character here..." all for merchandising to sell toys. On one hand that sounds terrible, on the other its a business and that business is to make money. He didnt see things in that light so he just walked away from it.

On the complete opposite spectrum you have JJ Abrams. He is the furthest from a yes man you will get in regards to SW with his involvement yet has open ears to anyone in question IF they know what they are talking about. Time is money. He isnt just adding a three second shot of a variant trooper or an alien leg crossing screen to sell toys. Hes making a movie. Lucas wouldnt have made a movie without merchandising being the number one priority. End of argument.

On the Lucas EP7,8,9 scripts, they went into file 13 as fast as they were read. The truth will eventually come out but the new scripts were being written long before Disney confirmed or officially announced JJ as the director. There is a four billion dollar investment to protect so expect to be wiping your bum with SW toilet paper this summer. Its going to be 1980 on the shopping shelves all over again.

LOL I so in!

Yea I can picture a bunch of middle aged "fanboys" sitting in a jail cell crying like babies on 12/15/15 cause they got caught trying to steal from Disney and can't go to the premier!

Let's mak our own fanboys 2...

Where we break into DISNEY Just to steal the trailer...

Dark side, your commin... Right? ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back