My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (V3 available in post #1 now!)

Re: My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (New Helmet available in post #1!!!)

most def had to separate the back parts a bit.
but nothing a little plastic cement can't fix

Hey tommy, did you separate parts further? Or just how they were? Your prints are looking good..........need to get back on mine:cry

My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (New Helmet available in post #1!!!)

I also suggest to measure out your parts/helmet in a program like netfab to get the size of the helmet just right. So follow the 1 cm helmet sizing info that's on the first page but double check it afterwards. I myself have a big head and ended up making it alittle too big to compensate. Had to reprint. Trial and error. I did the same thing when I built my first foam helmet. Sizing can be a bitch.

Re: My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (New Helmet available in post #1!!!)

Printed parts so far.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389857538.254429.jpg

Thanks to tommyb345 for showing me nettfabb!!!

Prints are getting much better. I'm currently using ABS. And I was wrong about laying the ear down flat. It looks best when you split in half and print the halves upward. Printing jaw now!

20140115_113455.jpg20140115_113434.jpg

Thanks to tommyb345 for showing me nettfabb!!!

Prints are getting much better. I'm currently using ABS. And I was wrong about laying the ear down flat. It looks best when you split in half and print the halves upward. Printing jaw now!

View attachment 274278View attachment 274279

Yeah the ears warped when I print them flat. So I'm going to print them standing up.

Your print is looking great! I can't wait to get started on mine, just waiting on more filament.

What are you guys using for a slicer. I recently switched to kiss slicer on the suggestion of a coworker and have been happy with the speed and results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your print is looking great! I can't wait to get started on mine, just waiting on more filament.

What are you guys using for a slicer. I recently switched to kiss slicer on the suggestion of a coworker and have been happy with the speed and results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to try out Kiss slicer soon, if it works with my printer. Using netfab to scale and chop parts, then I export .stl and slice it with Slic3r. Then export .gcode to Ponterface, the printer controller.

beautiful prints you guys!

Finally got the electronics on my printer functioning correctly. Now the heated bed doesn't want to heat up after switching firmwares...Oh well, hopefully someone will chime in on the reprap forums to help me out!

Keep the good stuff coming!

beautiful prints you guys!

Finally got the electronics on my printer functioning correctly. Now the heated bed doesn't want to heat up after switching firmwares...Oh well, hopefully someone will chime in on the reprap forums to help me out!

Keep the good stuff coming!

Damn bro, sorry to hear that. I hope you get everything sorted out and working okay. Don't feel bad, had a good print of the jaw going and had some delamination problems. Looked it up on the forums and possibly not hot enough tip, or because it's white filament. Apparently white abs has had this problem on long prints. Short ones, like 5 hours or under are okay.

Not sure if it's ruined though. Might be able to doctor it with some rondo.

Gluing now using plastruct plastic weld. Printing the ear pods and the lower back of the helmet now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389947656.030792.jpg

btw just a tip you guy should use polyester resin with abs because the heat will warp the plastic !

btw just a tip you guy should use polyester resin with abs because the heat will warp the plastic !

I don't understand what your saying. What do you mean "use polyester resin"? Use it how?

Heat isn't what is causing problems for me. In fact, lack of heat seems to be the cause of a lot of problems. Lowering the heat on the bed causes prints to loosen from the heat bed. Lowering temps for extrusion , at least below the recommended temps, will keep the layers from fusing. So heat isn't the problem.

I think Omar meant to say shouldn't...

PLA actually has a lower melting point than ABS, so I would think it would warp too.

Just wanted to point this out for the evolution of the model. Printing the jaw I noticed the left side has a gap where the other side is solid. It doesn't hinder the print, though. I was worried about weakness at the joint when prying the part off, but it was fine.

20140117_155522_zps341754a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140117_155546_zpsc52dc2af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just passing this along, in case drumguy wants to know.:)

Attachments

• 20140117_155522.jpg
    20140117_155522.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
  • 20140117_155546.jpg
    20140117_155546.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 240

Just wanted to point this out for the evolution of the model. Printing the jaw I noticed the left side has a gap where the other side is solid. It doesn't hinder the print, though. I was worried about weakness at the joint when prying the part off, but it was fine.

URL]

URL]

Just passing this along, in case drumguy wants to know.:)

Ah thank you GhostMinion !! I'll fix that right up and update the first post. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah thank you @GhostMinion !! I'll fix that right up and update the first post. Thanks for the info!

Anytime, bro:)

It's the least I can do. Any news on your printer?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back