Raiders Of The Lost Ark Idol Pedestal (Full scale)

jclinton

Hey everyone! So I am the one building a full scale map room (I have progress pics up) and the Idol pedestal. Here is where I am at with the pedestal. I have most of the carving done. I still have some detail work to do. The grey is just a little bit of primer I put on the top their. Once the detail work is done I am going to prime the whole thing and then hard coat it with Styrospray 1000. Once that is done I will paint it, weather it, and then add the moss. I am also building two rings of the floor to place this on. Should be an 8' X 8' base (Floor). I have to bounce back and forth between the projects so I don't go crazy. :)

I will post more progress pics as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 307
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 184
  • Darth Maul.JPG
    Darth Maul.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 255
  • Indy Joe Laird Mitch Mariano.jpg
    Indy Joe Laird Mitch Mariano.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
This is gonna be something! What did you use for the column there? Did you hand-carve the shapes?? They look great!

Nice to see some fellow Connecticut talent represented here!

Jon

Worked on the floor more this weekend. I just put basic diamond shapes down for a place holder. I am going to cut out the actual shapes (less diamond shaped) this weekend. I might add one more layer underneath it to make it thicker. Then I have to weather it, paint it then add in all the details, mud ect..

Then I will prime, hard coat, paint, weather ect.. the pedestal.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 132
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 183
Got more of the floor done. Tons still to do and a few routing mistakes to fix.:D

Attachments

• Floor 2.jpg
    Floor 2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 157
I might have missed it but I am assuming your bringing this to conventions....etc. for display purposes but where will it ultimately be housed when not on display?

I might have missed it but I am assuming your bringing this to conventions....etc. for display purposes but where will it ultimately be housed when not on display?

Yes, it will be at Comic Conn in CT, Comic Con in R.I. and New York. My buddy is going to keep it at his place as this is his. He paid for all the materials and I do the labor. I wouldn't be able to finish it at my house because I couldn't get it through the doorways. I will do 90% at my place and finish at his.

Made some more progress on this. I thickened the floor,hard coated and painted the pedestal. Now I am weathering the floor and will paint it then add the mud for the plates.

Attachments

• Pedestal.JPG
    Pedestal.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 259
Got more work done on this. I added an actuator for the center idol platform to drop down like in the movie. It is activated by a peddle on the floor. I attached a movie also to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0228.MOV
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
This is amazing! I have been waiting to see this prop for years and as an amateur prop builder myself have unsuccessfully attempted to build it myself. May I ask where you obtained the styrofoam in the size used? And also what tools did you use to trim it into the correct rounded shape and carve the designs? Any details would be greatly appreciated. Awesome work. You have incredible skill. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

This is amazing! I have been waiting to see this prop for years and as an amateur prop builder myself have unsuccessfully attempted to build it myself. May I ask where you obtained the styrofoam in the size used? And also what tools did you use to trim it into the correct rounded shape and carve the designs? Any details would be greatly appreciated. Awesome work. You have incredible skill. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks, PM sent.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back