TOBIN'S SPIRIT GUIDE - Let's get this back on track!

Michael Bergeron

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alright guys, the old thread for this got a bit unwieldy so I'm starting a new one that condenses everything. It is my sincere hope that I can dedicate some time to this EVERY DAY until it's completed. It's a project that I've been working on and off on for over four years now.

Here's the details from the other thread:

I'm creating the "definitive" Tobin's Spirit Guide. A lot of people have the RPG version of the book but I always found it disappointing. For starters it's full of RPG stuff which takes away from the feel of a real reference text. My biggest problem with it though is that it's clearly written for kids. By that I mean that the writing is cute and light hearted. Not nearly what the true volume from the films would have been or was meant to be.

I'm no stranger to printed props. In past I've done the Grail Diary, Rasputin's Spell Book, and countless other smaller items including hundreds of reproduction military documents from the 1700's through the Vietnam era.

I'm creating it do be organized in a similar fashion to how the RPG Tobin's is laid out. It will have 13 sections:

1-THE COMMON TYPES OF SPIRITS
2-CLASSIFYING A SPIRIT
3-EGYPT AND THE DARK CONTINENT
4-THE MIDDLE EAST
5-THE BRITISH ISLES
6-WESTERN EUROPE
7-EASTERN EUROPE
8-FORMER RUSSIAN EMPIRE
9-SOUTH ASIA
10-NORTH AMERICA
11-SOUTH AMERICA
12-FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE OTHERWORLDLY
13-INDEX OF SPIRITS

The book will have a publishing year of 1929 so the hope is to write it as a text of that era would be written with all the predjudices of the age (hence the "Dark Continent" instead of Africa and "Former Russian Empire" instead of the Soviet Union). The idea is to include every pre-1929 ghost/spirit from all the different Ghostbusters films, games, and cartoons. For filler I'll be adding famous ghosts from other sources, both real and imagined.

I already have had some help on this from members. dbalschi and ahuntley most notably with research and articles written. This help has been EXTREMELY valuable! I almost have 100 articles written, however there is much more work to be done.

For the presentation I have a large collection of books from that era (WW1 is one of my favourite history topics and so I have a lot of first hand accounts from 1912-1922) so I think I'll be able to make this look very accurate to what it should be. The book itself will have ivory coloured pages (to help it look older) and will be bound in black leather with a large gothic "T" embossed in gold on the cover to be similar to the RGB book.

For illustrations I'm thinking of sticking with B&W ink drawings/etchings that are copyright free. Some drawings will be commissioned for bigger articles.

When I do finish I will be getting these professionally printed and will be using edition numbers to mark my runs. First Edition, second edition, etc. That way those who get them early can still have the feeling of exclusivity. I would LOVE to get one of these puppies signed by all three remaining Ghostbusters!

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP PLEASE SEND ME A PM AND/OR POST HERE.

I have a list of ghosts/unearthly creatures that I still need info on. If you'd like to contribute let me know and I will send you a few sample articles so that you know what I'm looking for. I'm also looking for artists that can create imagery that would be appropriate for a book of this time period. If you think your work might cut it show me some samples of past work and we can talk.

At the moment I'm compensating those who contribute a lot with a copy of the end product, however if there's a need for higher compensation I'm open to that as well based on what's provided. I really want this to be the best it can be. Here's a pic of the page layout I'm using:

attachment.php

SAMPLE TOBINS LAYOUT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been lurking here on the RPF for a few years now, admiring all of the excellent work and building what small skills I have.

Finally, I think I have something to offer! I'd be thrilled to help out with some writing. It sounds like a fun project and I currently find myself with a little bit of extra time and the need for a project to motivate me.

Especially if I can earn myself a copy of this fantastic piece when it's done! Let me know how where you'd like me to start and I'll start working on researching and writing up whatever ghoulish creatures you need.

I couldn't do anything like this..it takes talent.. ;o). however, if you need a listing of every ghost ever seen in RGB and EGB.. ;o)

I've been lurking here on the RPF for a few years now, admiring all of the excellent work and building what small skills I have.

Finally, I think I have something to offer! I'd be thrilled to help out with some writing. It sounds like a fun project and I currently find myself with a little bit of extra time and the need for a project to motivate me.

Especially if I can earn myself a copy of this fantastic piece when it's done! Let me know how where you'd like me to start and I'll start working on researching and writing up whatever ghoulish creatures you need.

I'll send you a PM tonight!

Just my unsolicited 2 cents, but I feel like a two-column layout would feel more authentic for an encyclopedic reference book of the time period.

If you look through my original thread this began as a two column layout. Then, after looking through reference texts from the 20's and 30's (I have quite a few), the only one that had two columns was a dictionary. Apparently two column reference texts didn't become a big thing until later as I have a bunch of books from the 50's like that. I may change it later if I can find further evidence though! Certainly not locked to this layout, but I think it works.

I'd like to help out with illustrations if needed. I'm an illustrator and can do some cool black and white pieces. PM me if you need some art help

Cool. :) PM tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you're aware, but there is a new one coming out this year:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tob.../1123124656?ean=9781608877089#productInfoTabs

Well aware. Since when has a retail available book cut it as an authentic prop replica of the 1920's tome? I'm certain it will be like the Journal of Indiana Jones, great for what it is but no prop and probably pretty "out of character". Not to mention, 96 pages doesn't sound very promising. :lol

Last edited:
This looks like a awesome project. Are you planning on Having a few people contribute to each chapter or a single person do each one. also are you looking to Historical ghost stories or made up stories or both ?

If you still need writing help, happy to contribute to the project!

I'll send you a PM this week!

This looks like a awesome project. Are you planning on Having a few people contribute to each chapter or a single person do each one. also are you looking to Historical ghost stories or made up stories or both ?

I want to make sure that the entire book has one "voice" so although a few different people are contributing entries I'm acting as editor on the ones I don't write to ensure that. Most of what people have done for me is just gathering info on the different entries, which in itself saves me time searching!

The book will be made up of:

- Historical ghosts, demons, gods, etc.
- Ghosts and creatures from the various different GB properties
- Ghosts and creatures from other entertainment sources
- Some made up ones (based on entries given to me)

:)

I'm definitely interested - and would love to contribute if I can... I have no artistic flair though, so I'd be contributing text only!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back