Doctor Who Yeti Signalling Device (FINAL PICTURES POST#6)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
When I recently saw the 2nd Doctor Doctor Who episode Web Of Fear I saw a prop I knew I had to make. It was a small Yeti figure that was used by the great intelligence to track our heroes. As luck would have it a couple of the original props went up for auction a few years back. The auction site put up images of three original props. That eliminated the need to try to make sketches form the episode... so lucky.

It was sculpted out of Super Sculpey clay and painted with acrylic paints. The first image is the original prop image from the auction. The second image is my reproduction. The color I painted mind isn't quite right, but I'm working on another one so hopefully I'll improve it. Take a look and let me know what you think.

The Original
web-of-fear-yeti-homing-device-prop-a.jpg

Mine
2nd Doctor Yeti Figurine.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Doctor Who Yeti Signalling Device

I like it - quite a fun whimsical piece !
I am in no way an artist who sculpts so my advice would be moot :) It does look like you nailed the size - how tall is it ??

Here is an update. This is the Mark II version. I re-sculpted the figure in oil based clay and made a mold. The sculpture turned out much better and the castings came out really well. The next step is to prim and paint them. I am taking a printout of the original prop with me to pick paints so it will be closed to the original. Take a look and let me know what you think!!

The Sculpture
yeti mark II sculpt.jpg

The Castings
yeti mark II unpainted castings.jpg

Here is an update. This is the Mark II version. I re-sculpted the figure in oil based clay and made a mold. The sculpture turned out much better and the castings came out really well. The next step is to prim and paint them. I am taking a printout of the original prop with me to pick paints so it will be closed to the original. Take a look and let me know what you think!!

The Sculpture
View attachment 406352

The Castings
View attachment 406351

They are great. What you planning to do with them.

Re: Doctor Who Yeti Signalling Device (NEW PHOTOS)

They're finally painted. I think the paints I chose this time are much closer to the original prop. Here's the completed figures. Take a look and let e know what you think.

2nd Doctor Yeti Signalling Device.jpg

I like them :) thank goodness for the auction photos for colour ref. Has anyone built a moving Yeti Sphere? Wasnt the original on wheels. Shame there isnt many props to be made from the 1960's :(

Thank you for commenting. All these auctions are awesome!!! They post a ton of photos to document the auction and it gives us such a great look at the prop.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back