TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Please be careful to not post any links to live auctions. I know some of the fun is to speculate on what may seem funny or ridiculous about an auction right now, but there are good reasons to not link them until they are over.

how can you guys tell the beertab is missing?
the image barely shows the side with the tab on it.

on a side note, in the photo of the screencap, just below the red button, there seems to be something there..barely visible but it looks like the rivet that holds the beertab.

I poured over the video and screen grabs, sure looks like 6 grips to me but I've been wrong many times.

That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

how can you guys tell the beertab is missing?
the image barely shows the side with the tab on it.

on a side note, in the photo of the screencap, just below the red button, there seems to be something there..barely visible but it looks like the rivet that holds the beertab.

I totally agree!
To be honest, it looks like they turned a pristine Graflex into an ESB style saber, without bothering to replace the glass eye or to remove the beer tab. Maybe due to a lack of saber knowledge?

Looks like there's a beertab, to me at least.

CWuotMN.jpg

I totally agree!
To be honest, it looks like they turned a pristine Graflex into an ESB style saber, without bothering to replace the glass eye or to remove the beer tab. Maybe due to a lack of saber knowledge?

Maybe they just don't care enough to get it THAT accurate. I mean look at Anakin's saber in Episode 3 .

RIVETS?!?!?! RIVETS?!?!?

First time this goes on display... Gonna be great. Clear look at the build... unless they want to mess with everyone and having a plaque "Finn's Episode 7 Lightsaber *with post filming mods*"

would it have been funny if the trailer showed the lightsaber being handed to Leaia with Lukes hand still attached to it?

Maybe they just don't care enough to get it THAT accurate. I mean look at Anakin's saber in Episode 3 .

From what I understand, Both sabers were machined with a smaller diameter, to facilitate the fighting. Everyone always wants to blame Hayden's smaller hands hands, but Ewan's saber is significantly smaller, too. I know that some stunt sabers didn't have the control boxes.

Looks like there's a beertab, to me at least.

http://i.imgur.com/CWuotMN.jpg

Good eye!

From what I understand, Both sabers were machined with a smaller diameter, to facilitate the fighting. Everyone always wants to blame Hayden's smaller hands hands, but Ewan's saber is significantly smaller, too. I know that some stunt sabers didn't have the control boxes.

Actually, I did not know that Anakin's Episode 3 saber was a smaller diameter than the Graflex. Good to know, thanks. I was referring to all the other things that make it look different from the real Graflex flash units used in the OT, such as the bunny ears being quite different, the use of a Covertec knob instead of a D-ring, etc.

Last edited:

Actually, I did not know that Anakin's Episode 3 saber (the key words being "Episode 3") was a smaller diameter than the Graflex. Good to know, thanks. I was referring to all the other things that make it look different from the real Graflex flash units used in the OT, such as the bunny ears being quite different, the use of a Covertec knob instead of a D-ring, etc.

I don't really HATE the prequel sabers. I actually liked the sleekness of Anakin's & Obi-wan's.

My biggest issue wasn't even on-screen. There was a behind-the-scene's feature on one of the many releases, & the production crew was showing Lucas some sabers for ROTS, & he looks at some random saber & asks if that's the one Ben gives to Luke, or something like that.

I'll tell you. that moment gutted me. Something about that made me think that we cared more about his creation than he did. I'd always read that Lucas put so much of himself in the writing of the characters, especially Luke. To me, that was like King Arthur picking up the Green Destiny, & asking someone if that was Excalibur.

I guess that's why seeing the saber in the trailer made me have a bit of a sigh of relief. I mean, Artoo is a slightly different shade of blue, Luke looks to have a different hand, Chewie looks younger now than ever, But seeing that lightsaber...:D

OK, assuming Luke has the same saber he had when we last saw him, I wonder if we'll see one of these in TFA?

Or, like the G R A F L E X, will we see a hybrid version of all three?

I guess we'll know soon enough.

jeez, i was so stoked about the graflex i didnt even think about the RoTJ saber.

also, i wonder why lucas decided to custom machine the new trilogy sabers.

jeez, i was so stoked about the graflex i didnt even think about the RoTJ saber.

also, i wonder why lucas decided to custom machine the new trilogy sabers.

The best rumor I heard is by making the sabers from scratch, and not found parts, LFL would hold exclusive rights to the designs and be able to protect the copyright. With a Graflex and found parts or even an Obi ANH from replicas of real parts they would be limited on how they could stop sales of bootleg lightsabers.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back