Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

If you go back and watch the original video when the woman comes out in the wide shot (second photo posted above) on the table you can see a round blade embedded in round aluminum stock with countersunk holes for the Allen bolts to screw into to hold the blade to the saber, as well as blades with smaller diameter ends that went down into probably the V2and shared stunt that rotated.

That's aluminum stock? I wondered what that thing was - I'm rewatching the video.

If you go back and watch the original video when the woman comes out in the wide shot (second photo posted above) on the table you can see a round blade embedded in round aluminum stock with countersunk holes for the Allen bolts to screw into to hold the blade to the saber, as well as blades with smaller diameter ends that went down into probably the V2and shared stunt that rotated.

You're right. You're freaking correct. "This piece that fit into the handle" was another piece of stock like that. The one on the table is picked up and handed off to the guy on the right, while she hands over the original stunt (with a piece of stock/blade already inside)

Last edited:
The story is not strictly correct because the discovery was in reality made by Brandon Alinger when he was trying to trace some items listed in the archive logs - amongst which were the blades. They were found in an unmarked box on an unmarked shelf so chance played a great part in getting this piece back into the public eye, that's for certain..

I was in the archive building on Monday and I can tell you that the hilt is a strange one indeed and it seems to be a combination between Luke's saber and Vader's - IMO.

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 9.34.13 pm.png

Regards
MARK

Was it a real GRAFLEX too?

Certainly that handle was not a real Graflex, more like a solid cast item. That said, it might have been a graflex filled with a heavy plaster to make it slightly hefty but the details were not consistent with any single saber hilt I'm familiar with and that's why I lean towards the cast item...

As you can see in the video there are a number of hilts on that shelf which are easily recognised but that one is not easily identified - certainly not by me.

Odd question - did the mid-band or clamp section feel like tape over metal or was it some other material?

Aaahhh!!! That's a great photo but everything is obscured!

The story is not strictly correct because the discovery was in reality made by Brandon Alinger when he was trying to trace some items listed in the archive logs - amongst which were the blades. They were found in an unmarked box on an unmarked shelf so chance played a great part in getting this piece back into the public eye, that's for certain..

I was in the archive building on Monday and I can tell you that the hilt is a strange one indeed and it seems to be a combination between Luke's saber and Vader's - IMO.

View attachment 467817

Regards
MARK

Odd question - did the mid-band or clamp section feel like tape over metal or was it some other material?

LOL, apologise Kurtyboy.
thd9791, the grip seems to be a mixture of metal and cast pieces - or at least that's the way it felt. Interestingly, the clamp was wrapped in Gaffer tape so it was impossible to see if it was real or merely a cast. Its also hollow and I presume that it was used for practice only - rather than an actual screen used item.

I didn't have a lot of time with that particular prop because I was digging my way through everything else and I only had a couple of hours to indulge..

Let me see if I can dig up a little more info and if I'm successful I'll get back to this thread..

Best
MARK

Last edited:

View attachment 467817

Regards
MARK

Mark, as the blade appears luminous in your photo, could you tell what the blade was covered with specifically? Reflective tape? And did you notice any flat or flattened sides to the blade?

Mark, as the blade appears luminous in your photo, could you tell what the blade was covered with specifically? Reflective tape? And did you notice any flat or flattened sides to the blade?

mugatu, the blade is perfectly round with no flattened edges. Its also not motorised as the flat blades were but it should be remembered that this is only one of the variations from New Hope and I suspect, the last version used as a training blade. The blade is very long (longer than seen in the movie IMO) and its covered by 3M reflective tape that still works perfectly when shot with a camera flash - as you can see from the screengrab.

Deltaflyer90, in answer to your question, I originally thought that they were made out of a fibreglass similar to the antenna we used to have on our armoured vehicles in the army but they flex too much and the tape would have come off after a single fight. Looking at the blade on this saber I would guess that its a wooden rod, rounded at the end, coated in 3M tape and embedded in the hilt because the heft is just right IMO, not too heavy and not too light. Here is a grab of it without the flash.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 6.03.59 pm.png

My apologies that I can't show the actual photographs..

Regards
MARK

mugatu, the blade is perfectly round with no flattened edges. Its also not motorised as the flat blades were but it should be remembered that this is only one of the variations from New Hope and I suspect, the last version used as a training blade. The blade is very long (longer than seen in the movie IMO) and its covered by 3M reflective tape that still works perfectly when shot with a camera flash - as you can see from the screengrab.

Deltaflyer90, in answer to your question, I originally thought that they were made out of a fibreglass similar to the antenna we used to have on our armoured vehicles in the army but they flex too much and the tape would have come off after a single fight. Looking at the blade on this saber I would guess that its a wooden rod, rounded at the end, coated in 3M tape and embedded in the hilt because the heft is just right IMO, not too heavy and not too light. Here is a grab of it without the flash.

View attachment 468136

Regards
MARK

Awesome thank you sir! So excited to hear about this awesome discovery and be a part of this forum! Mark did u get a chance to examine any if the loose blades that were found? Find any carbon or metal blades?

The Luke/Vader blade in ANH was pretty damn long and much longer than Obi-Wans. I scaled it from the Graflex to 46" (and went with that on my replica) and Obi-Wan's to 37".
anh%20blade%20lengths.jpg

View attachment 468136

Regards
MARK

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back